Read 2740 times

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2014, 06:15:03 pm
    • Seattle, WA
TEFL course during college
« on: August 19, 2014, 11:17:36 pm »
Hello there!

With EPIK now getting a bit firmer in their requirements, it looks like just a BA isn't going to cut it. I had already planned to take a TEFL course online after college in the summer and finish it in South Korea, but it looks like if I want to leave next summer (which I do) I will have to do the TEFL course during school. My question is if any one has done this as well, and how it has turned out for them? I tried to talk to a counselor at my college about taking the course. I was still enrolled with my state college and was told that it wouldn't look good on my transcript to be enrolled in to places at the same time. Any thoughts?

Thanks to any and all who can answer this.

E
Treat others how you would like to be treated. Seriously.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
Re: TEFL course during college
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2014, 12:06:02 am »
Just get the cheapest one you can and and finish it one day like everyone else does. all they require is a certificate.

I don't know what your advisor means by that. Plenty of people do more than one thing at the same time.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2014, 01:40:56 am »
Most college counselors wouldn't really know what a TEFL cert is.  The easiest way is to find a cheap one and do it online.

However, if you want to teach in several countries down the road or actually want to better yourself as an EFL teacher, do a real TEFL course in a classroom and with a practicum included (CELTA, CerTESL, etc.). 

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 10:53:54 am »
There was a class being held in June nearby that I thought of doing, but I wasn't sure about it because the certificate is from another university and to be enrolled in two made my transcript look less authentic, or so the counselor said.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2014, 12:16:28 pm »
There was a class being held in June nearby that I thought of doing, but I wasn't sure about it because the certificate is from another university and to be enrolled in two made my transcript look less authentic, or so the counselor said.

I don't really understand your counselor's reasoning.  Nothing can make your transcript look less "authentic," whatever that means.  It's not like taking classes at another university invalidates your current transcript in any way. 

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2014, 02:33:53 pm »
That was what I thought, so I was confused by it. I didn't want to take any chances with it anyway in case it would make applying for EPIK any harder later on.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2014, 02:35:49 pm »

I don't really understand your counselor's reasoning.  Nothing can make your transcript look less "authentic," whatever that means.  It's not like taking classes at another university invalidates your current transcript in any way.

I used to work at a University admitting overseas/ international students and if a student had multiple transcripts from different universities it was the first sign of fraudulent documents (people buying and/ or doctoring their degree transcripts and certificates was extremely common).

However, if it was a separate, legitimate course and the Universities were accredited I am sure you would be able to explain what happened.

But, as everyone else has suggested, the TEFLs EPIK require can be a bit of a joke so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Mine was 100 hours and all multichoice.

• shostager
  • Super Waygook

• November 06, 2012, 06:08:10 am
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2014, 02:45:27 pm »
I don't know if all courses count as college classes, per se - I actually took a TEFL class (Oxford Seminars) while I was in college. It was weekends only, so I took normal classes during the week, and just had less time for studying. It was held at a different college, yeah, but I didn't have to enroll. Just sign up and pay for the certification program. Other than a slight lack of sleep, I had no problems taking a course located at another college.

Of course, it might be different if you actually have to enroll directly through the college.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:21:15 am »

I used to work at a University admitting overseas/ international students and if a student had multiple transcripts from different universities it was the first sign of fraudulent documents (people buying and/ or doctoring their degree transcripts and certificates was extremely common).

However, if it was a separate, legitimate course and the Universities were accredited I am sure you would be able to explain what happened.

But, as everyone else has suggested, the TEFLs EPIK require can be a bit of a joke so I wouldn't stress too much about it. Mine was 100 hours and all multichoice.
Wow, thank you so much for this. This actually clears up a lot of what I was wondering about what that meant. I am sure this was my councelor's concern. I think I will take your (and the other lovely people's) advice and take a short 100 hour one just to get in the door and take the longer in depth one once I am in South Korea (or when I am on a long enough vacation where I can go to the month long classes themselves) later on. Thank you again! This relieved so much stress lately.

E

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #9 on: September 03, 2014, 10:35:22 am »

Wow, thank you so much for this. This actually clears up a lot of what I was wondering about what that meant. I am sure this was my councelor's concern. I think I will take your (and the other lovely people's) advice and take a short 100 hour one just to get in the door and take the longer in depth one once I am in South Korea (or when I am on a long enough vacation where I can go to the month long classes themselves) later on. Thank you again! This relieved so much stress lately.

E
You are welcome.

If you wanted to take the course, good universities are able to asses the documents and it isn't difficult to know who has fraudulent documents and who doesn't, so I wouldn't pay too much attention to it.

Before you decide on what TEFL course you are going to take, make sure it will meet the requirements. EPIK generally is 100 hours but I think the SMOE and Busan areas requirements are a bit more difficult. If you have your heart set on a certain area in Korea it pays to double check.

« Reply #10 on: September 03, 2014, 12:53:28 pm »
EPIK is very competitive these days. the requirements say 100 hours, but it will increase your chances a lot more if you do a 100 hour online course with a 20 hour in-class component. if you look around you could probably find a 120 hour course that offers the 20 hour in-class component at nights and/or on the weekend, so you can fit your uni work and attendance in with the TEFL course at the same time. for Busan you need a minimum of 100 hours online with a 50 hour in-class component.

also note that you don't necessarily need to do the TEFL course through a university. you could do it through any training institute that offers one but you must make sure it is an accredited course. if it's accredited the training institute should list somewhere on it's website who the accrediting body is. so read up on them a bit and make sure it's legit and properly accredited before doing the course.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2014, 01:05:39 pm »
also note that you don't necessarily need to do the TEFL course through a university. you could do it through any training institute that offers one but you must make sure it is an accredited course. if it's accredited the training institute should list somewhere on it's website who the accrediting body is. so read up on them a bit and make sure it's legit and properly accredited before doing the course.

If you are unsure and are applying through a recruiter for EPIK you can ask the recruiter and they will point you in the right direction too.

« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2014, 03:10:28 pm »
You know, I have 8 years of teaching expereince in the EFL business.
I taught 2 years in Taiwan, 1 year in Japan, and 5 years here in Korea. I reurned to Korea to teach in the EPIK Program in 2012 even though I do not have a TEFL yet.

I had plans to get a TEFL since 2011 but financial blockades stopped me. And I
also had to save enough money for it since last year. I wanted to also do it since this past spring but someoe stole money out of my bank account. (thank God I got that money back). So I want to earn one this fall.

However to spend a few hundred dollars on an online TEFL, it sounds a little fishy because these programs for 100 hours for like US$400 does not sound like an accredited program to me. I am contemplating on doing an online 120 hour TEFL through the University of Toronto. I am pretty sure that is accredited. That TEFL program will cost about CAN$1100 or $1200.

There is no way that they can expect me to have 20 hours of in-class work on an online TEFL certification course, while I am on a contract that lasts for all 365 days. Plus I am in Korea and Toronto is 10,000 miles away.

I am also a licenced certified teacher, and with my 8 years of expereince I should do a TEFL, just in case Korea should fail me. Don't you think?

« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2014, 03:57:46 pm »
CAN$1,100 is insane man. I recently finished a 160 hour online TEFL course that only cost around 80 000 won. I got a deal through Groupon.

I'm sure people will scoff that it's through Groupon but at the end of the day a TEFL course is a TEFL course. there are so many out there it really doesn't matter - and few employers seem to care - which one exactly you do.

the important thing is that my TEFL course was accredited. the accrediting body is Accreditat, and I did my research and they're completely legit. endorsed by the British Council.

this is the one i did, not sure if the Groupon deal is still on: http://www.teflexpress.co.uk/

some employers might care that you don't have an in-class component, but you have tons of actual in-class experience which should hopefully count for something.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #14 on: September 06, 2014, 09:58:17 am »
EPIK is very competitive these days. the requirements say 100 hours, but it will increase your chances a lot more if you do a 100 hour online course with a 20 hour in-class component. if you look around you could probably find a 120 hour course that offers the 20 hour in-class component at nights and/or on the weekend, so you can fit your uni work and attendance in with the TEFL course at the same time. for Busan you need a minimum of 100 hours online with a 50 hour in-class component.

I am not sure if I could do the full on night/weekend course since I have two jobs on top of full time school, unless I did a crash course in June or July next summer.  :-[  I do have my heart set on Busan, but somewhere similar to Busan is fine too. Thank you for this message!

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #15 on: September 06, 2014, 10:01:53 am »

If you are unsure and are applying through a recruiter for EPIK you can ask the recruiter and they will point you in the right direction too.

I plan to apply directly with EPIK. If I did do the in class course I will have to wait, since I have 2 part time jobs and full time school.  That may make things difficult.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2014, 10:04:51 am »
You know, I have 8 years of teaching expereince in the EFL business.
I taught 2 years in Taiwan, 1 year in Japan, and 5 years here in Korea. I reurned to Korea to teach in the EPIK Program in 2012 even though I do not have a TEFL yet.

I had plans to get a TEFL since 2011 but financial blockades stopped me. And I
also had to save enough money for it since last year. I wanted to also do it since this past spring but someoe stole money out of my bank account. (thank God I got that money back). So I want to earn one this fall.

However to spend a few hundred dollars on an online TEFL, it sounds a little fishy because these programs for 100 hours for like US$400 does not sound like an accredited program to me. I am contemplating on doing an online 120 hour TEFL through the University of Toronto. I am pretty sure that is accredited. That TEFL program will cost about CAN$1100 or $1200.

There is no way that they can expect me to have 20 hours of in-class work on an online TEFL certification course, while I am on a contract that lasts for all 365 days. Plus I am in Korea and Toronto is 10,000 miles away.

I am also a licenced certified teacher, and with my 8 years of expereince I should do a TEFL, just in case Korea should fail me. Don't you think?

I think TEFL certification is like the minimum now. If you have a teaching certification and that much experience I think you are fine.

« Reply #17 on: September 12, 2014, 09:26:52 am »
OP, just do an online TEFL course with 100 hours online and 20 hours in class. There is no reason why this should affect your current studies.

In Korea, to EPIK a TEFL is just a sign that you are not COMPLETELY clueless, and they don't really look into the quality of the TEFL course, only that you've done it.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2014, 04:10:13 am »

So far I am hearing that applying directly with EPIK increases chances of getting in first. I didn't know about training institutes doing TEFL. I know there was a community college that had the course every couple of months. There was also the cheaper online course I was looking into as well, but thank you for these suggestions!