Read 2843 times

• icndream
  • Waygookin

• July 11, 2014, 02:27:34 pm
    • 대한민국
JR Pub says apology not enough over racist ban on ‘Africans’

“It all happened because of my ignorance. It’s entirely my fault and I’m the one who deserves death,” Jung Jin-chul, owner of JR Pub, said Tuesday as he recalled his racist decision last Saturday.

JR Pub in ItaewonJung admitted that he instructed a staff member to put up a pair of signs on Saturday evening that read “We apologize But, Due to Ebola Virus we are not accepting Africans at the moment. –JR Pub.”

“My English writing skills are very poor that I asked one of my female staff members to make the signs over the phone at around 8:30 p.m. Saturday,” he said, noting that the signs, hastily written on A4 size paper by a maker, were already hanging at the bar when he arrived there shortly after giving the instruction.

“I didn’t pay much attention about the signs and had no clue about the implications of posting such discriminatory messages until I began to receive a series of complaints from customers and Kakao messages from my friends.”

“I will give a 50 percent discount on all drinks and food to those coming to bar on Thursday night,” he said. He also noted that all the money the bar receives from people attending the event will go to a charity or those who are in need of help.

“This is the least that I can do for what I have done. I screwed up and I’m terribly sorry. I couldn’t properly respond to criticism as I don’t have social media accounts like facebook and I don’t speak good English.”

http://www.koreaobserver.com/jr-pub-says-apology-not-enough-over-racist-ban-on-africans-23154/

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
Hey, good on him.  But jeez man, you don't deserve 'death'.  Maybe it was due to the backlash instead of actual personal realization, but either way it takes a big man to admit to being wrong.  And it's not just an empty apology, he's going out of pocket to prove it.  Like I said, good on him. 

Why are you guys up in arms when some Africans get turned away from some stupid bar, yet (seems like most of you... from reading that Michael Brown thread) are on the cop's side when he repeatedly shot an unarmed black teenager?

Good for him, maybe, okay, but blaming his poor writing skills and copping to not knowing the implications of discriminatory messages...? Is this one of the "But Korea's a developing nation, has no history of racism, pwease understand our widdle situation" scenarios?

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
If you had a choice between overt or covert agendas, like racism, which would you prefer?

As a consumer and a citizen, I want to be informed, so I applaud open/overt agendas.

Covert/hidden racism makes it difficult for people to be able to make informed decisions.

When private businesses openly make these sorts of decisions and declarations, we should thank them.

Had this never happened, we would never have known.

I guess I am in the minority, because I don't see why people would rather not have these sorts of signs posted.

I remember the places that posted the "No Americans" signs after the middle school girls were run over by a tank, and those signs didn't bother me.  In fact, I appreciated knowing how they truly felt.   Though the signs have long been gone, I will never patronize those places again.

Those that have been upset by the JR signs make no sense to me...you would rather racist owners keep their views private, so you can dine in ignorant bliss?

• rampancy
  • Super Waygook

• March 17, 2011, 07:42:39 am
    • Daegu, South Korea
    more
Why are you guys up in arms when some Africans get turned away from some stupid bar, yet (seems like most of you... from reading that Michael Brown thread) are on the cop's side when he repeatedly shot an unarmed black teenager?

Heh. White privilege, etc., etc.
"You shouldn't ask yourself such worthless questions. Aim higher. Try this: why am I here? Why do I exist, and what is
my purpose in this universe? (Answers: 'Cause you are. 'Cause you do. 'Cause I got a shotgun, and you ain't got one.)"

• Hoosier_Jedi
  • Expert Waygook

• April 08, 2011, 01:56:38 pm
    • Icheon
    more

Heh. White privilege, etc., etc.

Well, that escalated quickly.  :rolleyes:

Anyway, the guy who was responsible got his feet held to the fire and won't likely do anything like that again soon. The light side of the Force gets a small win and now we can all go on with our lives.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
Going because it's cheap will show how just superficial some people's words are . I will be in itaewon on thursday for some drinks.

But i will not go there.

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
What a contradiction!

People patronized them, then they posted the sign.  Some complained that they shouldn't be allowed to post that sign.  Subsequently, they remove the sign and apologize, yet now these same people won't go there?

Unintentionally or not, they are supporting an environment where racism can flourish.

I would much rather have these things out in the open, then back in the closet.

• btpham13
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2011, 11:02:04 am
    • Korea
What a contradiction!

People patronized them, then they posted the sign.  Some complained that they shouldn't be allowed to post that sign.  Subsequently, they remove the sign and apologize, yet now these same people won't go there?

Unintentionally or not, they are supporting an environment where racism can flourish.

I would much rather have these things out in the open, then back in the closet.

LOLz.  Seriously. Damned if you do, damned if you don't.

Moral of the story:  Businesses need to be covert and more subtle about their racism if they want to succeed.
« Last Edit: August 20, 2014, 12:52:38 am by btpham13 »

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Thank you.

I was beginning to think I was swimming with people from the shallow end of the gene pool ;)

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
I'm a little bit in shock at the open admission that it was a mistake...

Yes, it was racist as hell.  Yes, his explanation of poor English doesn't really fit.  And I for sure will not be patronizing them anyway.  But still, to admit that he was wrong and attempt to do something mildly constructive in response is surprising.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

....because (almost) all of us live in Korea, and not all of us are American? Not saying it isn't a very serious issue, but as a non-American I care more about racism in the country where I reside than racism in America.

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
I'm a little bit in shock at the open admission that it was a mistake...

Yes, it was racist as hell.  Yes, his explanation of poor English doesn't really fit.  And I for sure will not be patronizing them anyway.  But still, to admit that he was wrong and attempt to do something mildly constructive in response is surprising.

It's a bit of stretch but I like that the owner is trying to make it up.  He owned up and realized what he did was wrong. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.