Read 1825 times

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Corporate spending on call girls and karaoke soars
« on: August 19, 2014, 03:00:48 am »
This is one of the reasons I avoid buying Samsung products if I can possibly help it.

Guess I am going to get a lot of flack for saying that, but that is how I feel and make no apologies for it.

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/biz/2014/08/123_163106.html

The amount of money that major Korean conglomerates spend on entertaining clients, including paying for call girls, has increased sharply despite a sluggish domestic economy, with total expenditure last year estimated at over 9 trillion won ($8.8 billion).

Corporate spending on entertainment has increased in the past five years as firms shell out more in efforts to gain support or favor from clients and business partners, stated a report submitted by the National Tax Service (NTS) to Rep. Park Myung-jae of the ruling Saenuri Party last week.

Total expenditure on late night "corporate entertainment" jumped to 8.77 trillion won in 2012 from 7.48 trillion won in 2009, according to NTS data.

As market competition intensifies, major conglomerates such as Samsung Electronics and Hyundai Motor continue to spend a sizable amount of their earnings each year on such late night entertainment.

Of total entertainment costs, corporate credit card spending in "room salons" (brothels) accounted for the highest portion of 747 billion won in 2013, followed by spending at "karaoke" with 211 billion won, and spending at "theater-type restaurants" with 134 billion won, the data showed. Room salons are venues for late night business meetings at which high-class call girls serve drinks, dance and sing songs to clients.

Some businessmen and public officials are criticized for accepting such nights on the town as bribes in exchange for business favors. In 2004, the government passed an anti-prostitution law that prohibits the buying or selling of sex services.

Meanwhile, total spending on corporate cards, including entertainment costs, more than doubled to 92 trillion won last year from 41 trillion won in 2009, according to NTS data.

Year-on-year, the total corporate card spending fell from 95 trillion won, affected by a nationwide anti-drinking campaign and anti-corruption programs introduced by companies, the data said.

"Despite a slight decline in the total spending in the past two years, there should be more strict measures to establish a sound corporate culture in terms of corporate card spending," Park Myung-jae said Monday in a press statement.

Despite regular requests from the media for a more detailed breakdown of corporate expenditure, the NTS consistently refuses to issue information. This is contrary to their duties as a public-funded entity, accountable to the citizens of South Korea.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

Re: Corporate spending on call girls and karaoke soars
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 07:42:33 am »
Eh.. the impression I am getting from friends in companies that do this is that it's not just a Korean thing.  It sorta kinda expected from any international group coming in these days so picking out one company is kinda fruitless.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 07:53:35 am »
Interesting side note... the credit cards our university gives employees, which are to be used for departmental expenses, cannot be used in karaoke bars, room salons, etc.  They are blocked somehow (or the expenses will be charged back to you later). 

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2014, 07:54:48 am »
Eh.. the impression I am getting from friends in companies that do this is that it's not just a Korean thing.  It sorta kinda expected from any international group coming in these days so picking out one company is kinda fruitless.
It happens virtually anywhere you're trying to impress customers, or investors. Or trying to win a bid on something, say a cough... cough... world cup... cough... olympics... cough... high finance...

Anyways, 'entertaining' also includes steak dinners, and trips to the dmz. So not 100% is spent on 'ladies'.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #4 on: August 19, 2014, 08:01:30 am »
It happens virtually anywhere you're trying to impress customers, or investors. Or trying to win a bid on something, say a cough... cough... world cup... cough... olympics... cough... high finance...

Anyways, 'entertaining' also includes steak dinners, and trips to the dmz. So not 100% is spent on 'ladies'.

This quote kind of blows your theory out of the water.

Of total entertainment costs, corporate credit card spending in "room salons" (brothels) accounted for the highest portion of 747 billion won in 2013,

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #5 on: August 19, 2014, 08:05:30 am »
There's no way Korean companies spent $10 billion entertaining foreign clients....maybe 1-2% of that amount was spent, or even as high as 10%.

It still doesn't account for the thousands (if not millions) of transactions for local whoring activities.

I can guarantee you if you went into 10 room salons/anmas/sexy noraebangs etc in the city with the highest foreigner concentration in the country, 99.99% of all the customers would be Korean.

Yes, drinking, whoring and late night debauchery is a part of doing business. The only difference here is that almost everybody does it on a weekly (if not daily) basis, and almost everybody expects to do it.

Let's not forget these are just the declared numbers....the actual figures may be significantly higher.

• pkjh
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• May 02, 2012, 02:59:44 pm
« Reply #6 on: August 19, 2014, 08:54:52 am »

This quote kind of blows your theory out of the water.

Of total entertainment costs, corporate credit card spending in "room salons" (brothels) accounted for the highest portion of 747 billion won in 2013,
What do they mean by 'highest' proportion? Is it 50%+1, or that 31% was the highest proportion that was spend in 'room salons'. And room salons charge like 1 million won for a lousy bottle of whiskey, and a platter of seasonal fruit.

The article is very sparse on details. Just gives you numbers on something with little details.
« Last Edit: August 19, 2014, 08:57:19 am by pkjh »

« Reply #7 on: August 19, 2014, 08:55:48 am »
This why I try to buy samsung products. They know how to get the deal done.

"Keep 'em comin', sweets, I got a long drive. Do me a favor, will you? Would you mind washing off that perfume before you come back to our table?"

Ernie McCracken

• michs
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2013, 10:32:49 am
    • Daejeon
« Reply #8 on: August 19, 2014, 08:56:51 am »
Their products are assembled using de facto slave-labor and your primary concern is the entertainment budget?

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

more
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2014, 09:00:19 am »
Their products are assembled using de facto slave-labor and your primary concern is the entertainment budget?

Ok, let me reword my original statement then. This is one of the many reasons why I try not to buy their products.

Okay now?