Read 1132 times

5am sirens?
« on: August 13, 2014, 04:38:09 am »
Sorry if this is a repeat/has been answered many times, but it's 5am and I'm a bit bleary eyed! I've seen quite a lot of posts about sirens/alarms, but none that describe what just happened in my apartment building.

So just before 5am an alarm starts going off - a siren, followed by a woman shouting a message, on a loop. This played for about fifteen minutes while I was thinking it was just some weird thing on the street (there are ALWAYS megaphone announcements or speaker announcements or weird sirens here that seem to mean nothing at all, at first it freaked me out but then it always turned out to be someone selling something!), but I could hear a lot of doors opening and closing and lo and behold, the Koreans are all actually evacuating.

By the time I got to the stairs, the alarm abruptly stopped and everyone was coming back in. My Korean is basic at best, and certainly not good enough to risk approaching sleepy, annoyed strangers. So I know it's near impossible without hearing the message, but does anyone have any idea what this might be? Do standard fire drills here happen at hours like 5am, and do they have a recorded message alongside the siren?

I'm guessing it's not civil defence drills as I heard those were scheduled district-wide etc (it seemed to be just my building) and that most Koreans don't bother to respond to them, whereas everyone was actually evacuating.

Re: 5am sirens?
« Reply #1 on: August 13, 2014, 08:15:43 am »
My guess is that the real fire alarm went off and you just stayed in your place long enough for it to be verified that everything was safe.

The looped voice seems like an automated message for you to GTFO.

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2014, 11:22:59 am »
Yeah, that's about the best guess I can make too. Thanks!

I just wasn't sure if scheduled fire drills were a thing here, or if there were sirens for other things too - earthquake warnings, etc, or if it might have actually been real. I haven't been here long enough to know what my apartment - or Korea - does with stuff like this.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2014, 02:33:52 pm »
Scheduled Alarms:
National Air-Raid sirens. around 2pm. you will receive notice about them. the notice pretty much says, if your on the streets, get into a building. if your in a vehicle, pull over. if your in the subway, or in a building, stay put.

Fire Alarms at a school: once a year, sometimes twice a year. after the Sewol incident, some schools have been doing bi-monthly.

Severe Weather Warnings: based on location and time of year.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.