Read 1705 times

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
Hi.  I live in a pretty decent apartment with some cool landlord/ladies.  The only thing that annoys me is that its a little old.  Ive had to replace an appliance or two so far but even that would have had to happen eventually.  The thing that has been an inconvenience is the lock. 

The door lock is kind of a weird key that works just like any other key.  I would like to have an electronic lock though.  I noticed that they sell them at department stores around the city.  If i really wanted one bad enough do you think its possible for me to buy one for the apartment and have it installed?  I assume this would be too much of a hassle and unless the owners want to upgrade the whole building im out of luck.  But hey, i though i would at least ask. 

Re: Upgrading parts of my apartment, its not going to happen, right?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 02:23:52 pm »
I had to deal with this just last week. From what my co-teachers and K-friends have told me, this is something that wouldn't be the landlord's responsibility or cost.

All I had to do was: go to a key/lock store (there should be quite a few stores in your neighborhood, look for 열쇠), choose a lock, and the lock guy came over right away to install it. Everything took about an hour. I can choose to use a keycard (two came with the lock) or just input the password. The lock cost 140000 but the cheapest electronic locks ran at 100000. The price included the installation fee (don't know if that's standard).

« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 03:04:59 pm »
you can have an electronic lock put on no problem.

what joey said is spot on. the price may vary depending on the shop you go to and the area/town/city you live in. my coteacher at my old school last year had it done for only 80k, but that was in a rural area so it may have been cheaper because of that.

once you have that lock installed don't forget that you actually own it. so if you ever change schools/apartments you can actually take the lock with you, or even have it removed when you leave and the original lock installed again. then sell the lock on Craigslist or something.

if you stay in school-provided housing it may be a good idea to check with your school and see if they're cool with having an electronic lock installed though.

• Jet0716
  • Veteran

• March 29, 2014, 07:58:25 am
    • WI, USA (Hopefully Jinju soon)
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 03:14:58 pm »
Woah!  Its time like these when im glad i ask stupid questions.  I was sure this one was going to come back as, "Hecks no dummy!"  I cant wait to get one and gt it put in!

Thanks again. 

Uh, and while im here, any suggestions as to what to look for when getting a door lock?

• DrPeppero
  • Adventurer

• August 06, 2012, 09:01:58 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 03:31:00 pm »
Woah!  Its time like these when im glad i ask stupid questions.  I was sure this one was going to come back as, "Hecks no dummy!"  I cant wait to get one and gt it put in!

Thanks again. 

Uh, and while im here, any suggestions as to what to look for when getting a door lock?

I bought mine at Emart. I think it was around 140,000 and the installation guy came 30 minutes after I bought it.

My lock came with 4 guest keys. They're handy if....

• you don't want to reveal your key code to guests, friends, or your school supervisor but still want to give them access
  • your hand eye coordination is terrible and you're coming home drunk
Locks without guest keys should be less than 140.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 06:14:30 pm »
I've purchased 3 electronic locks in 12 years in Korea.  Two were from Samsung, and the cheapest was by Milre.  The quality of the Milre is far BETTER than that of the Samsung (go figure).  The unit feels more solid, has more functions.  Here is the unit I got.  It comes with 4 electronic keys, and when you push the LCD number pad, it jumbles the numbers each time.  It also has a silent button, so you don't make noises when you enter the code.  Very useful with kids.  Mine came installed for this price, only available from E-mart online.  HIGHLY recommend this model:

http://emart.ssg.com/item/itemDtl.ssg?itemId=0000009026352&tlidSrchWd=Milre&src_area=elist

Just buy that one in the link, and you'll be very happy.

Whatever you do, NEVER NEVER NEVER buy from a company called GATEMAN.  I am so angry at that company.  We have a door lock (installed by the previous owner) and we called them direct, because none of the installers could find a working key.  They have newer versions, but GATEMAN informed us they "no longer offer electronic keys for that model."  Oh, but they were really pushing to sell us a new one.

So much for support!
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 06:22:50 pm by GoCyclones »