Read 5651 times

• yankees1477
  • Waygookin

• March 10, 2011, 01:57:39 pm
    • Bucheon, South Korea
Re: If your coteacher is out sick...
« Reply #20 on: April 11, 2011, 03:21:02 pm »
My co-teacher is literally NEVER in the classroom.  She is off running errands, cleaning things that were cleaned yesterday, playing her guitar etc.  Count your blessings that you only had to do it for 1 day! Although, since I've been in Korea my acting skills have improved significantly.  Nothing like a little charades to get the point across.

• Davox
  • Super Waygook

• February 05, 2011, 03:01:13 pm
    • Ilsan
« Reply #21 on: April 11, 2011, 03:25:40 pm »
Personally, I'd ask for the homeroom teacher too to cover your behind, and you have every reason to request a cancellation if that is impossible and you do feel uncomfortable. If the home room teacher does come though, expect that they may just sit and do paperwork at the back. Similarly if that's impossible, you could always try calling in a favour from another subject teacher to sit in.

But I mean, if you know what the plan is for the lesson (or wrote it yourself) or know what they're up to, go for it.

Asking the homeroom teacher to stick around and do paperwork in the back is what I'd recommend, assuming your school likes you.  While I'm sure all of us are fully capable of teaching an English class ourselves, the fact is that we are not actually certified to teach alone in a public school class*.  I'm sure liability issues could arise were anything to happen in the class while you were there alone.  If it comes up again, don't risk it.  Demand that SOMEONE be there, just in case.

*This applies only to official curriculum, regular hours classes.  The rules are much looser for after school stuff: everyone gets to teach those alone.

• Arclight
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2011, 01:01:10 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #22 on: April 11, 2011, 10:03:25 pm »
It varies from day to day.  My co-teacher was sick one day and all the homeroom teachers just kept them there and made them write tests unrelated to the chapter we're studying.  Other days the co-teacher stops in for a second and then goes off running errands for the rest of the class.  Those are great days and make you feel like a real teacher, teaching and maintaining classroom order on your own.  I really do love after-school stuff the most....I teach after-school drama club 3 times a week for an hour completely alone and it's a blast!  Just remember to be ready for anything, always.  I just know I'm happier when I'm teaching than when I'm not.  And so are the kids.

• jstokess
  • Explorer

• April 28, 2010, 01:33:24 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #23 on: April 12, 2011, 12:19:03 am »
When I taught at elementary and middle school I almost never had a coteacher. It's rocky at first, but be consistent with the english words you use (please sit down, turn to page... quiet please) and they will get the hang of it. Also helps to always format your lesson in the same way so that they no what to expect. You'd be suprised how easy it gets.

« Reply #24 on: April 12, 2011, 12:53:00 am »
It's not so much as giving up when you can't get the co teacher to do their freaking job, instead do some mental gymnastics (kidding) and look on the healthier perspective. This is your time to work on your teaching style and maybe even learn some korean to use with the students/ and show the students that you are open to learning too by asking and memorizing some of the korean words they translate from the english words you are teaching.

there is no spoon... er.. i mean the glass is half full :D
Hans Gruber. Prince Humperdink. Mantis Tobogin.

« Reply #25 on: April 12, 2011, 07:43:55 am »
Keep in mind the effect on the innocent homeroom teacher. If you cancel a class, suddenly they have 5 minutes warning to prepare a 40 minute class for their students. Also, maybe they were planning on using that time to prepare for the next class, so now they're doubly screwed.

Ask-the-homeroom-teacher-to-sit-in-the-back is a fine compromise, if it makes you feel more comfortable teaching alone.

« Reply #26 on: April 12, 2011, 07:48:45 am »
It all depends for my school.  If my co-teacher calls out in the morning then all classes with him/her are canceled.  If he/she gets sick during the day then another ct takes over.  If no ct can take over then I teach the class alone.  One time though they just canceled them anyway because they have no faith in the students to behave even though they are actually better for me than any other teacher in the school.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #27 on: April 12, 2011, 08:33:06 am »
I have my own classroom management style which I tell all my classes at the start of the year. If there is ever a time my co-teacher can't be there (students were fighting, very sick) I stick to the same system. This means the kids know what to expect and they know that the consequences will be the same with a co-teacher or without. Also, my school has a minus point system, so if they really act up I can give the whole class a half an hour of detention after school.

As for your situation, I echo what other people said. If you don't feel comfortable see if a homeroom teacher can sit at the back. However, this is a good time to get a feel for teaching a classroom without help. Your Free time system sounds like a good idea.