Read 1686 times

Korean American looking to work with tourist visa...
« on: July 29, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »
Hi, I'm a Korean-American with US Citizenship. I'm a native English speaker, and decent Korean (can hold a conversation fairly easily, although advanced vocabulary is meh, and grammar and pronunciation at times are iffy). I'll be a Senior for the upcoming school year at a 4 year university for a degree in Advertising, but I'm taking some time off to study music in Korea. I already have stuff set up in Seoul for learning through some connects I have, but none of them are through a school, meaning I'll most likely be limited to a tourist visa (right?).

Anyways, I'm currently in Korea right now (since end of June), but I have to go back home for something that came up this Friday (Aug 1st), and I will be flying back out on September 8th. From September, I'll be staying until December for sure, maybe longer if I continue studying. During that time, I won't be studying daily, so I'll have a lot of free time which I'd like to use some of to work and pay off my expenses. Is there any opportunity for me as a American-citizen university student with English fluency to work part time? Doesn't necessarily have to be teaching, although I did a teaching program in Korea for a summer a couple years ago, and I have experience as a Private Tutor in America (taught korean exchange students English/reading and Math).

I searched through the forums a lot but couldn't quite find a post that suited mine, so I'd appreciate any and all help. Thanks!

Also, I believe I already applied for an F-4 Visa back home before I left, but it was denied for some reason. I don't have the specifics right now but I'll ask my parents. As of now though, it looks like I'm limited to my traveler's visa. The idea of taking a language class was suggested, which I wouldn't mind besides the fact that it'd be another expense for me to cover. I'd be willing of course, if the student visa I'd get would allow me to take teaching jobs (I've looked online, and 1:1 teaching/tutoring is considerably higher pay than others...which would offset the price of the class, + I get to get a little better at Korean!). How would I go about finding a university that would accept me/give me a student visa in the limited time I have (I'll be home from Aug 1 - Sept 9 then back out to Korea). Thanks, I know my situation is a little hectic and confusing, but I appreciate any/all help!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Korean American looking to work with tourist visa...
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2014, 05:56:48 pm »
tourist visa = you're a tourist = you can't work here legally.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2014, 08:47:14 pm »

You could work on a student visa. I believe up to 20 hours a week.  so get ur student visa when u come back to study in september.
« Last Edit: July 29, 2014, 08:48:50 pm by tokkibunni »

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2014, 11:55:04 pm »
I would love to, but since my music "classes" are not through a school (I'm literally just working alongside a producer and learning from him), I wouldn't be able to get one through him. This is why I said I'd be open to taking a Korean language class or something, if it meant I could get a student visa and tutor or something through that. Would you have any idea of what schools would be relatively easy to get into/cheap for a single language class? I'd be in Seoul, 서울대입구역 (Seoul National University), specifically.

• whoowhoo
  • Newgookin

• August 29, 2014, 02:33:11 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2014, 02:51:11 am »
Try to find out why your f4 visa was denied. I got mind in 2009 and it was easy and fast. The hard part is getting all the paperwork like Korean family tree. Luckily, I had all my paperwork in order so I got my f4 visa in one day in Los Angeles location.
F4 visa is worth getting because it allows you to work in any field and stay/renew as long as you want. I just renewed my f4 visa and it is good for 3 years.

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 10:12:51 am »
Also you should check first, but everything I have found suggests that on a student visa you can only work after you first six months of studying.

Would love for someone to prove me wrong about this!
Check out my K League website! www.KLeaguereview.c om

For all my lessons please go to www.highschoolesl.c om

« Reply #6 on: September 02, 2014, 08:16:45 pm »
Also you should check first, but everything I have found suggests that on a student visa you can only work after you first six months of studying.

It's after one completed semester, which is generally 3 months. You also need permission from your University and register with immigration.

Term Time 20 hours and Vacation Time full time.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 09:08:19 pm »
I wouldn't necessarily reccomend it but tons of people work illegally. It's highly unlikely anything will happen, as long as you keep a minimal/no paper trail.

« Reply #8 on: September 03, 2014, 08:01:02 am »

It's after one completed semester, which is generally 3 months. You also need permission from your University and register with immigration.

Term Time 20 hours and Vacation Time full time.

Good to know, thanks!
Check out my K League website! www.KLeaguereview.c om

For all my lessons please go to www.highschoolesl.c om