Read 3935 times

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
Anyone taken Makgeolli on an aeroplane before?
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:12:30 pm »
Anyone done this?

I was wanting to take some as a gift but i've been told it spoils/ goes bad so it might not be the best idea. I tried to google and nothing came up...

• mr_spivak
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2011, 01:38:59 pm
    • Bundang, Korea
Re: Anyone taken Makgeolli on an aeroplane before?
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 04:19:45 pm »
I did and it tasted the same when I drank it with my family back home. Ideally, you don't want it to go from being cold to warm to cold again. I think I found it not refrigerated in e-mart.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 05:22:18 pm »
It'll depend on whether it's pasteurized or not. Traditional makgeolli should be kept cold and generally lasts a couple of weeks. You can get the pasteurized kind - which lasts a long time and requires no refrigeration - but it's not as good, and lacks the bacteria that Koreans tout as being healthier than yogurt.

That said, I really wish there was a way to take some of the good stuff home!

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2014, 06:08:21 pm »
Thanks guys - good information. I will look into it, find the pasturised kind and make sure I buy it warm and keep it warm until I'm home.

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 07:38:19 pm »
Also, makgeolli isn't 100% sealed usually, as the bottles need to vent the gas and prevent the bottles from exploding (at least this is my knowledge- as I've had makgeolli spill from a "closed" bottle when it was on it's side for a long time- i could be wrong though!).

You can buy canned makgeolli which is definitely safe for transport like that.
I'm loving iHerb. Check out http://www.iherb.com/ and enter my Rewards Code HLC923 to receive up to $10.00 off your first purchase

• Fanwarrior
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 06, 2011, 09:19:35 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 29, 2014, 09:22:08 am »
Not only does it go bad, but people have died from it going bad.

I really wouldn't risk it.

« Reply #6 on: July 29, 2014, 01:26:40 pm »
Not sure where you're from, but do you have a Korean town in your area? I know in Dallas we have K-town and they sell Soju, makgeolli, and many other Korean beverages. Even some of the Chinese food marts sell Korean booze.

Good luck :-)
"To fall in love with God is the greatest of all romances; to seek him, the greatest adventure; to find him, the greatest human achievement."

- Raphael Simon