Read 1646 times

Going to Korea without a job
« on: July 28, 2014, 04:43:28 am »
My boyfriend received a job in Daegu that begins at the start of September. Since we have just a little over a month, the chances of me finding a job and having my visa before then seem pretty slim.

I'm thinking about going to Korea and finding a job while I'm there. Does anyone here have experience doing this? Can I get an E2 visa from within the country if I have all the necessary documents? If I'm already in Korea would I still be reimbursed for my flight?

• Adobe
  • Veteran

• March 04, 2010, 11:58:50 am
    • G
Re: Going to Korea without a job
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2014, 06:32:48 am »
You could try. You wouldn't get the flight money and you would need to do a visa run(leave the country) to get a visa.

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2014, 07:42:56 am »
Seems chancy. Surely you could hang back for a couple months, look for your own gig in Daegu, then join your boyfriend?
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2014, 09:05:30 pm »
My boyfriend received a job in Daegu that begins at the start of September. Since we have just a little over a month, the chances of me finding a job and having my visa before then seem pretty slim.

I'm thinking about going to Korea and finding a job while I'm there. Does anyone here have experience doing this? Can I get an E2 visa from within the country if I have all the necessary documents? If I'm already in Korea would I still be reimbursed for my flight?

Does anyone here have experience doing this? Yes, it's possible. However it's risky as you'll be spending a lot of time and energy traveling and may end up with the same role at the end of the day.
Can I get an E2 visa from within the country if I have all the necessary documents? No, you need to do a visa run (most people go to Japan, where it takes 2 working days)
If I'm already in Korea would I still be reimbursed for my flight? No

There are a few benefits; some free time to adjust to life in Korea and see if you like it here whilst also being able to visit possible schools.

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »
Definitely possible. Why would it be any less likely for you to find a position here than overseas? Some positions only consider in-country applicants.

• Redondo
  • Expert Waygook

• October 14, 2012, 05:28:11 am
    • toronto
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2014, 09:17:54 pm »
I reccomend doing that. The visa run will be a headache, much moreso than doing the visa work immediately when you get here, but it's worth it for the chance to see the school. I think being able to walk into schools and see how they operate is invaluable.

That said, it could take you a couple of months or more to find the "right" job, but at least you know what you are getting into. Shouldn't matter anyway if your boyfriend can support you during that time.

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2014, 09:41:26 pm »
there's pros and cons to coming here and looking for a job. others have already done a good job of mentioning the pros.

the biggest downside though is financial. you will be out 1.3 million Won for the flight money which you won't get, plus the cost of a round-trip plane ticket to Japan for a visa run, plus the cost of your accommodation in Japan while you wait for your visa. i think it now actually take 5 days to get an E2 visa from Japan, not just 2? not 100% certain but i'm pretty sure they've extended the processing time now.

on top of all that your boyfriend will have to support you while you look for a job.

also, how far along are you in gathering your documents? do you have some of them, all of them, or none of them? because if you have all of them you could easily find a job within a month or two, and join your boyfriend later.

if you have none of them, it might be difficult trying to organize things like apostilles from Korea once you're here. if you're American the CBC in particular could be a hassle. what happens if you submit your fingerprints before you leave, come over here with your boyfriend, only to have the FBI reject them - which seems to happen very frequently - and now you have to organize new fingerprints from Korea and send them back to the States, which would delay your job search even longer.

the longest part of the job application process is actually gathering all the documents. once you have the documents and a job offer, the visa is issued pretty quickly. you still have 1 month before your boyfriend leaves. if you start applying for all your docs immediately, you may well be able to get a job in Korea and be over here only 1 or 2 months after him - but with no losses financially.

just something else to consider.

• matthewm12
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2011, 02:41:25 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2014, 08:07:07 am »
Depending on how much you want to ask of your boyfriend, could he do some initial research for you while you prepare documents at home? Johnny made a good point about the possible delays it takes to gather documents (especially with the apostilles and criminal record check). It's really much easier, faster, cheaper to take care of that stuff from home rather than abroad so why not come to Korea a little later. Take your time to find a decent job