Read 8508 times

Friendliest Part of South Korea?
« on: July 24, 2014, 10:41:31 pm »
Friendliest part of South Korea for foreigners?  I've heard good things about gangwon-do. Can anyone vouch for the area?

• BearNana
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 10:33:57 am
    • Incheon
Re: Friendliest Part of South Korea?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2014, 07:35:25 am »
Incheon has been kind to me...

I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I have heard from various people that the people of Daegu are the most unwelcoming to foreigners.

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2014, 07:46:51 am »
This kind of stuff is just urban legends like people going about the best looking women are in Daegu etc etc...The fact of the matter is the best looking women are in Seoul where the TV/modeling/taent/high class prostitution jobs are. In terms of how Koreans treat you, the further out you are from Seoul the less likely people are going to speak English and the more likely they'll treat you like you're from another planet.

• mr_spivak
  • Veteran

• June 15, 2011, 01:38:59 pm
    • Bundang, Korea
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2014, 07:48:43 am »
I've been all over the country and in my opinion it's definitely Gwangju (Jeolla-do).

• Chadwickhhs
  • Expert Waygook

• February 28, 2012, 07:04:14 pm
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2014, 07:53:59 am »
Totes Daegu bruh.  :wink:
Come and enjoy the scowls, the spit, the grumbling! Nah, it's not that bad but it's funny to joke about. People seem to have a cheerier disposition in Busan and Incheon but few are outwardly hostile.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2014, 08:22:58 am by Chadwickhhs »

« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2014, 07:54:52 am »
Well, it's not Ulsan, I know that...
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2014, 08:19:58 am »
This kind of stuff is just urban legends like people going about the best looking women are in Daegu etc etc...The fact of the matter is the best looking women are in Seoul where the TV/modeling/taent/high class prostitution jobs are. In terms of how Koreans treat you, the further out you are from Seoul the less likely people are going to speak English and the more likely they'll treat you like you're from another planet.

Dang, this is off the charts in terms of trueness.

I'm glad I'm not the only one sucked into the urban legends that seem to be taken as fact.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #7 on: July 25, 2014, 08:21:40 am »
Friendliest are the gate agents at ICN when you are getting the fk out.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #8 on: July 25, 2014, 08:22:02 am »
And yes Daegu is the rotted diseased aids fill asshole of Korea

• moe83ccc
  • Veteran

• February 25, 2012, 05:53:17 pm
    • Daegu
« Reply #9 on: July 25, 2014, 08:25:37 am »
I agree with Jeolla-do.
The Dude Abides

« Reply #10 on: July 25, 2014, 08:51:46 am »
Itaewon. No, really.

« Reply #11 on: July 25, 2014, 08:54:52 am »
Itaewon for sure.

• Jargo
  • Adventurer

• April 01, 2013, 10:01:27 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #12 on: July 25, 2014, 08:58:27 am »
Itaewon / Noksapyeong. I would be happy to ghetto-ise myself in that area if I could.
i am often wrong

« Reply #13 on: July 25, 2014, 09:11:24 am »
I've travelled all over Korea and honestly I can say that in my opinion Gangwon Do is like a different universe compared to other parts of Korea..... Yes the English isn't very high but the people are super nice and friendly........ Someone above mentioned outside of Seoul they were more likely to look at you like you were from another planer... That's just curiosity..... Seoul is up there as one of the most unfriendly places I've been.... I once had a guy try mow me down instead of adjusting his walking direction... He ended up standing on my toes as if we were doing some kind of dance all this because he chose to walk directly through me.....
Rocking out in the ROK!!! :D

« Reply #14 on: July 25, 2014, 09:15:56 am »
I've travelled all over Korea and honestly I can say that in my opinion Gangwon Do is like a different universe compared to other parts of Korea..... Yes the English isn't very high but the people are super nice and friendly........ Someone above mentioned outside of Seoul they were more likely to look at you like you were from another planer... That's just curiosity..... Seoul is up there as one of the most unfriendly places I've been.... I once had a guy try mow me down instead of adjusting his walking direction... He ended up standing on my toes as if we were doing some kind of dance all this because he chose to walk directly through me.....

Actually Seoul is listed as one of the world's most rudest cities.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2014, 09:18:13 am »

Does this apply to Chuncheon, too?
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2014, 10:15:01 am »

Does this apply to Chuncheon, too?

I've found Chuncheon friendly too but I was more talking about other areas.... I do like Chuncheon though much more than any other city I've been to in Korea........
Rocking out in the ROK!!! :D

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2014, 10:47:53 am »
I don't know if there is any truth to this, but I have heard from various people that the people of Daegu are the most unwelcoming to foreigners.
The worst story involving blood money I've heard happened in Daegu. A random foreigner was walking down the street one day. A bunch of locals surrounded him and claimed that he had assaulted one of them. They called the police. The foreigner (an English teacher) ended up having to pay 2.5 million won to get out of that one.

Pohang is probably worse than Daegu. Daegu is a big city so the residents are a little more used to foreigners. In Pohang I got plenty of WTF stares. I had a few people yell at me in public a few times. Once an old man yelled "bbali naeryo!" (get down quickly!) as I was getting off the bus. When I was using the bathroom at the Pohang train station once I noticed an ajossi staring at me while I was washing my hands. I exited the bathroom. He followed me and began yelling at me. I don't know what he was saying. I tuned him out and kept walking. There is a police station right next to the train station. I knew that getting into some kind of altercation with the guy would lead to no good.

At least in Seoul and Incheon people left me alone. Maybe they weren't friendly but I don't remember getting harassed much.

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2014, 12:09:26 pm »
The fact that half the population of Korea lives in greater Seoul because of the economic opportunities results in the half of the population in the rest of Korea being of a general lower quality in terms of intelligence/social skills etc... Statistically you'll probably have a much higher percentage of nutters too.

• CDW
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 15, 2011, 01:22:09 pm
    • Banned
« Reply #19 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:18 pm »
The fact that half the population of Korea lives in greater Seoul because of the economic opportunities results in the half of the population in the rest of Korea being of a general lower quality in terms of intelligence/social skills etc... Statistically you'll probably have a much higher percentage of nutters too.
Good point. In addition, Korea's top three universities (Seoul National/Korea/Yonsei) that everyone wants their children to get into are all located Seoul.