Read 8617 times

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
Re: 1 in 4 Korean Graduates Quit Job After Less Than a Year
« Reply #20 on: July 23, 2014, 12:18:02 pm »
I do agree with some of the people here in that a lot of Koreans are sheltered when growing up. They are told that they are special and everything they do is correct and right. I wouldn't call it culture shock but I think they experience something similar to that when they start working for the first time.

I used to interview people back in the states and it was consider bad form if an interviewee asks about the salary before the interviewer does.

« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2014, 12:19:39 pm »
I do agree with some of the people here in that a lot of Koreans are sheltered when growing up. They are told that they are special and everything they do is correct and right. I wouldn't call it culture shock but I think they experience something similar to that when they start working for the first time.

I used to interview people back in the states and it was consider bad form if an interviewee asks about the salary before the interviewer does.

Was that because the salary was advertised?

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #22 on: July 23, 2014, 12:43:11 pm »

Was that because the salary was advertised?

I think it was, I remember when I interviewed for the job it was posted.

• Savant
  • The Legend

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #23 on: July 23, 2014, 01:38:15 pm »
Pay very low, work very hard, drink very hard. If a Korean makes it through that in their first 6 months then they can survive in their chosen company. Or turn into an alcoholic insomniac.

• raider576
  • Adventurer

• December 12, 2010, 05:35:51 pm
    • Korea

« Reply #25 on: July 23, 2014, 08:11:17 pm »
Wow!!! The sh*tshow that is Korean work culture.
Insane. Yeah, I'd just do my best to leave the country. Better than kissing as* and working until 10pm every night for 1.6m.
By the way, the coddled youth thing is global. In the US, people are calling it the boomerang generation.

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2014, 01:45:17 pm »
A lot of university students have part-time jobs, but they mostly just earn pocket money.  When the job gets boring or difficult, they quit. 

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2014, 02:51:47 pm »
A lot of university students have part-time jobs, but they mostly just earn pocket money.  When the job gets boring or difficult, they quit.

Unless they work in room salons and anmas.....the money draws them right back!  :laugh:

• MJHanson
  • Expert Waygook

• May 02, 2011, 09:42:58 am
    • Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2014, 03:34:04 pm »

Unless they work in room salons and anmas.....the money draws them right back!  :laugh:

Then they get addicted to designer bags and shoes and they just can't quit... Until they marry some rich fool. 

Based on anecdotal evidence I've heard over the years I've been here, it's shocking how common it is for uni girls to work in prostitution or semi-prostitution establishments.  Very very sad. 

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2014, 03:40:08 pm »
I know a few girls who are uni students that started doing prostitution to keep up with the materialistic quality of life.

My current girls works at a restaurant on 12 hour shifts on Fri/Sat/Sun. She mentions everyday that she wants to quite but needs the $$ to 'live'

• waygo0k
  • The Legend

• September 27, 2011, 11:51:01 am
    • Chungnam
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2014, 03:51:43 pm »

Then they get addicted to designer bags and shoes and they just can't quit... Until they marry some rich fool. 

Based on anecdotal evidence I've heard over the years I've been here, it's shocking how common it is for uni girls to work in prostitution or semi-prostitution establishments.  Very very sad.

Personally, I can't put too much blame on the girls. They're basically between the pan and the fire.

Work 12-16hrs a day (5-6 days a week, very few holidays or vacations) as an  'office assistant', getting hit on by your boss on a daily basis with no chance of a promotion or even permanent job status....all for an average of 1.5-2mil per month.

OR

Shine domes, toss salads and consume semen in all your orfices for a living earning 5-10mil per month....be lucky enough to bag one of your douchey clients with more more money than brains.

pop out 2 kids  and get shit on by your in-laws for the rest of your life while your 'hubby' continues with his whoring activities, he may or may not even see you and the kids for a few weeks straight....at least you'll get to live in an expensive apartment, buy expensive clothes and drive expensive cars.....and if you're REALLY lucky, the hubby will send you and the kids to the States or Canada 'for the children's education'.

If you're not lucky enough to bag a hubby, you can at least bag someone else's and become a mistress (apartment and bills paid for...pocket money plus a possible car).

In the worst case scenario, continue prostituting and try to make as much money as you can before your stock starts to drop (i.e. 26 years), by which you will be contemplating moving to Japan/China/US/Canada/Australia/NZ where there is less competition

It's a no-brainer for most girls that have the looks.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2014, 03:58:18 pm by waygo0k »

« Reply #31 on: August 21, 2014, 02:51:03 pm »
LOL wut? can they just grow a pair finally and start asking questions that matter? who takes a job with no salary mentioned?

Most of the University graduates I have coached in employment interview techniques do NOT expect to be able to ask questions in their interview....they think they are only there to answer questions!
Competition for work is intense and they do not wish to aggravate the interviewers.

I just tell them that differentiating themselves from the other candidates is important but they seem to think that non-compliance to the norm is a losing proposition!
Korea is a VERY different first job search environment, to the Western ones we are used to.
[/quote]

Gotta love how Korea officialy has a 3 to 4 % unemployment rate.  I guess I'd call BS on that.  Must have a strange way of counting their stats.  When I visited parts of the USA pre recession with these types of unemployment rates, it was actually easy to get a job and employees actually had some power.  Coming from a place, myself, with a double digit unemployment rate most of my life - over 10%, it seems much more comparable to Korea as far as work environment, competition for even bad jobs, etc.  (Thank you very much big government and high taxes for killing my local economy.) 

But, even with things being bad where I'm from, I'd say Korea is richer than there, but working here in a company would be way way worse. 

« Reply #32 on: August 21, 2014, 03:01:46 pm »
http://www.nytimes.com/2014/06/22/magazine/its-official-the-boomerang-kids-wont-leave.html?_r=0

Perhaps relevant.  A cultural shift underway?

Sorry you Americans are experiencing the type of bad economy that I had most of my life.  Where I'm from unemployment has typically been up near 10%, even when the rest of North America was booming.  Anyways, it wasn't uncommon for kids to live at home until their late 20's.  I moved out in my early 20's and struggled like heck.  A few years later, that free flight and free apartment?  You didn't have to ask me twice.  It was just before the rest of North America started flooding into here. 

Anyways, lots of low paying crappy jobs and even a struggle to find one sometimes.  Sometimes, you got to get out and even fall behind on bills as you struggle to find another one.  Anywaysm sorry your experiences are becoming like mine was.  I had the misfortune of being born in the @$$ of North America.  Let's hope the economy finally recovers, though given the stupidity of governments the last few years, I'm doubtful.  (Though I want to still hope.) 

When you are fortunate enough to have a booming economy, even stupid people find jobs.  When you are unfortunate enough to have a bad economy, even smart people can't find jobs or realize their potential.  In this environment, you have to either know someone or be related to the right family or families. 

• qi
  • Veteran

• July 21, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
« Reply #33 on: September 08, 2014, 07:45:13 am »
I thought this was an interesting article.  25% of young Koreans quit during their first year.  This can be quite a burden on businesses because most places don't profit from an employee until well after a year.

The main reasons are their failure to adjust to corporate culture and the demands of the new job.

The Korea Employers Federation on Sunday that a study of new hires in 405 small and large companies shows that 25.2 percent of university graduates quit during their first year on the job.

Kim Dong-wook at the Federation said, "For businesses that have to spend an average of 18 months training a new hire the rising dropout rate is quite a burden. This trend will prompt companies to look for recruits who are best capable of adjusting to new conditions."

Maybe this trend should prompt companies to suck less and stop driving people away? 

Personally, I'm impressed that so many young Koreans are choosing to leave the horrible Korean work culture.

Korean work culture is ruthless, maybe more ruthless than back home but I quit my first job after graduation, after 4 months. I hated it and it was a waste of my skills. I found a better job a few months later and stayed at it for 2 years. Both were IT jobs.

• miabeyle
  • Newgookin

• September 03, 2014, 12:55:50 pm
    • Canada
« Reply #34 on: September 08, 2014, 10:21:08 am »
My boyfriend is Korean and he did exactly this. He quit his job after one year of working at his job. It was a "good" job at a large Korean company, but it was terrible, like most big corporations in Korea are. They treat you like they own you. Overtime? No, no, you're on salary. Do it, or else. My boyfriend doesn't even like to drink, and of course, he was forced to do that too. The work culture, as you all know is horrendous.

Thankfully, he did escape to Canada. To the people who said you said that Korean's should stay and change things, I would agree to some extent, but you have to be in a position of power to change things. Maybe he'll go back someday when he's older.

The prospects are so grim for the graduates of Korea today. Even working at the most desirable companies, they usually won't have anything like the quality of life and leisure time we have in the West.

« Reply #35 on: September 08, 2014, 05:18:27 pm »
"I love my job long time" ....then I'm going to kill myself.

• GoCyclones
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• February 01, 2012, 10:34:54 am
    • Central Seoul
« Reply #36 on: September 08, 2014, 09:56:47 pm »
Read an article recently that many Korean jobs now do not give any salary information until AFTER YOU ACCEPT THE JOB!

So many people feel duped when they go through a long 3-interview process with a company, only to find the salary sucks rocks and the hours are long.

Many then quit shortly after.

« Reply #37 on: September 18, 2014, 03:31:17 pm »
25%?

That number is going to increase in the future.
We as Native English teachers may have pleasant treatment in the public schools and
a few private schools. But let's face it, the root cause of this problem is the fact that Korea's general work environment culture is horrible because it lacks the standards for human rights.

So much for Confucianism.

« Reply #38 on: September 18, 2014, 03:36:39 pm »
25%?

That number is going to increase in the future.
We as Native English teachers may have pleasant treatment in the public schools and
a few private schools. But let's face it, the root cause of this problem is the fact that Korea's general work environment culture is horrible because it lacks the standards for human rights.

So much for Confucianism.

Confucius say Everything has beauty, but not everyone sees it.