Read 3544 times

• Mlatte
  • Veteran

• December 20, 2010, 07:55:07 pm
    • Korea
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140701000990Interesting read in The Korea Herald about IMOE and EPIK in the Education National Headlines today. 
« Last Edit: July 02, 2014, 05:36:22 am by Mlatte »

Re: IMOE and EPIK Make Educational Headlines in The Korea Herald
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2014, 07:21:45 am »
Thanks for the morning read. Remember guys, we as native teachers are expensive and expendable.
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.

• BearNana
  • Veteran

• February 27, 2013, 10:33:57 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2014, 07:27:41 am »
I wish Incheon hadn't spunked all their money on the vanity projects that are the Asian Games and Songdo city ㅠ_ㅠ

100 billion won needed just to support the education programs already in place for 2014...Jesus christ.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2014, 07:34:34 am »
good read, but I didn't really like the part at the end where he was quoting things people posted on waygook, as his selections did not seem to accurately reflect the views of the community.

• grey
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 08, 2011, 04:47:11 am
    • USA
    more
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2014, 07:42:18 am »
Vanity projects and athletic tournaments can make some people pretty rich, pretty quick. Public English education not as much.
Ko fills half his luggage with instant noodles for his international business travels, a lesson he learned after assuming on his first trip that three packages would suffice for six days. “Man, was I wrong. Since then, I always make sure I pack enough.”
-AP

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2014, 07:48:52 am »
Fixed the link:
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140701000990

The guy who wrote the article actually posted here the other day in the "Incheon suddenly denies all accepted EPIK Fall 2014 applicants" thread.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #6 on: July 02, 2014, 07:57:12 am »
good read, but I didn't really like the part at the end where he was quoting things people posted on waygook, as his selections did not seem to accurately reflect the views of the community.
I'm wondering which view specifically you are talking about?

I thought it was balanced. The general view seemed to be powerless poor guys pushed around due to financial problems and the quotes seemed to reflect this.

If they added the view of the anti-NET crowd and the fear-mongers who think EPIK is finished, or a conspiracy that Korean society is out to get us, it would have become a trashy article. Obviously those voices are here, but it's the Internet and only a handful of members spreading those ideas.

I think overspending on big projects is hardly an Incheon, let alone a Korean problem. Governments everywhere thrive off building monuments, hosting parties and doling out free cash. Blame the voters for not demanding that stuff doesn't interfer with things that are really important but not glamorous like education for those too young to vote.

1) The Songdo cash hole. They put a lot of eggs in the Songdo development basket, then the recession hit.
2) 2014 Incheon Asian Game
3) New subway line

Sure, Incheon is not immune to financial mismanagement, but they spent A LOT of money in the last 5 or so years and aren't getting a lot of it back.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2014, 08:29:37 am »

The last line bothered me. I don't remember seeing that, or the proof of shady practices, but will look again now for evidence.

I thought it was balanced. The general view seemed to be powerless poor guys pushed around due to financial problems and the quotes seemed to reflect this.

If they added the view of the anti-NET crowd and the fear-mongers who think EPIK is finished, or a conspiracy that Korean society is out to get us, it would have become a trashy article. Obviously those voices are here, but it's the Internet and only a handful of members spreading those ideas.

Yes, it was balanced and fair. And I'm glad they didn't add the voice of the Anti-NET fear-mongers.   

I think overspending on big projects is hardly an Incheon, let alone a Korean problem. Governments everywhere thrive off building monuments, hosting parties and doling out free cash. Blame the voters for not demanding that stuff doesn't interfer with things that are really important but not glamorous like education for those too young to vote.

This! They overspent. We are expendable. Not as people, ourselves, but the program certainly is a luxury in the grand scheme of things. However, it is a luxury which should be given to all. Especially, those who cannot afford hagwons. But I understand if money needed to be cut, where else would they cut it? Certainly not the cleaning ladies, there are none. Or what? the homeroom teachers? 

There are two teachers a time in the English classroom. And whilst I know my co's English isn't strong enough to run the class alone, maybe there are some out there who are. Personally, I would like an overhaul, less of the nubile women and more of the qualified in a sort of consult role. But I guess that isn't going to work or happen any time soon. In the meantime, I know I'm going to continue to try my best and spark passion for learning the language in my students.

• minamteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• October 05, 2010, 07:55:14 am
    • Incheon
    more
« Reply #8 on: July 02, 2014, 09:32:46 am »

1) The Songdo cash hole. They put a lot of eggs in the Songdo development basket, then the recession hit.
2) 2014 Incheon Asian Game
3) New subway line

Sure, Incheon is not immune to financial mismanagement, but they spent A LOT of money in the last 5 or so years and aren't getting a lot of it back.

I forgot to add this
4) the train to Wolmido they had to cancel

". . .  spent more than 85 billion won to set up a railway connecting Incheon Station to Wolmido in preparation for the 2009 Global Fair & Festival, but its operation was suspended after the event due to faulty construction"
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/news/nation/2012/04/113_108358.html

• qi
  • Veteran

• July 21, 2011, 12:16:33 pm
« Reply #9 on: July 17, 2014, 10:03:21 pm »
http://m.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20140701000990Interesting read in The Korea Herald about IMOE and EPIK in the Education National Headlines today.

IMOE already has a bad rep. for being shabby and unprofessional. They're not the only ones I'm sure.

• thunderlips
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• June 07, 2012, 10:01:55 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: July 17, 2014, 10:47:05 pm »
Not a bad article, aside from quoting an on-line forum as sources  :rolleyes: ..... smh   
I mean why bother actually interviewing people, when you can quote someone with a funny/risque moniker.

Hope this post isn't quoted in a future article.