Read 4725 times

• dnnysn
  • Waygookin

• April 25, 2012, 04:29:38 pm
shipping electronics out of Korea
« on: June 30, 2014, 02:39:30 pm »
Hey guys, anyone have any experience of shipping stuff out of Korea? Korea Post said they don't do it, which is odd and fedex and et el are crazy expensive.
Thanks

Re: shipping electronics out of Korea
« Reply #1 on: June 30, 2014, 03:17:21 pm »
Sent my iphone 3gs 2 years ago and it went no bother standard Korean EMS post.
Tried to send my iphone 4 last year after they changed the rules and they told me I couldn't send it. I sent it anyway and it arrived in the UK. I may have lied on the customs form though.  :wink:

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2014, 03:28:31 pm »
I didn't want to be the first to suggest it but that's basically the long and short of it. Regulations around shipping electronics internationally are stupid so you'll either have to go with them or lie about what you're shipping and leave it up to whatever deities oversee the post office to make sure it arrives safely.

• oglop
  • The Legend

• August 25, 2011, 07:24:54 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2014, 04:43:44 pm »
fecking hell. i was hoping to send my xbox back to england in a couple months. i brought it from england in my luggage a couple years ago.. but i am not allowed to send it back by post?  :rolleyes:

« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2014, 05:42:33 pm »
Shipping electronics? Forget it. It'll be cheaper to buy a new one back home.

And smartphones tend to be carrier locked on top of that so you'll just have a shiny pocket computer when you get back. But if you insist, into your luggage it goes and your clothing gets the box.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2014, 06:26:47 pm »
you can send it back just dont tell them whats in the box. its not illegal to ship ur xbox home by ship but the idiots at the post office will say it gets damp in the ship and refuse to send it. It's not illegal but those idiots will try and stop you. also, its an xbox it doesnt have any lithium batteries so its fine i think.

anything with a lithium battery they wont send.

If you wanna send the xbox by ship and they refuse, make a scene!! because they have no right to tell you no but they will try.

I tried to send my brother a wedding gift and my sister a laptop, both electronic by ship which is perfectly legal and they were about to do it when one idiot was listening in and said it will be on a ship for more than 2 months, and there is a possibility the stuff will get damp so he isnt gna send it. I told him its my choice not his but the teller then refused to do it.

« Last Edit: June 30, 2014, 06:33:20 pm by scholes »

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2014, 06:55:14 pm »
it'll be in a bo with loads of other stuff like clothes, anyway. maybe i'll just put in, tape the box up, and and won't say anything

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2014, 09:00:04 am »
They will send lithium batteries home. They just won't fly it. It'll have to go by boat.

Here a list of prohibited items (use the tab at the top to look through):

http://www.koreapost.go.kr/eng/sub/subpage.jsp?contId=e1010501
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 09:14:08 am by Space »

• dnnysn
  • Waygookin

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2014, 12:04:58 pm »
Yeah I just have a couple of consoles, speakers, projector, etc

What would happen if I get 'caught'? would they seize the package regardless of ems or surface?

• oglop
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2014, 12:12:42 pm »
nice one thanks space and scholes. i'll just send it. if there's a chance it'll get wet i'll just wrap it in plastic  :rolleyes:

• neeps
  • Adventurer

• July 01, 2014, 09:39:10 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #10 on: July 01, 2014, 12:43:43 pm »
They'll ask you what you're sending but they won't poke around in your box. They'll take your word for it. If it's heavy, lie accordingly  :wink:

• misskris
  • Expert Waygook

• October 08, 2010, 02:46:41 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #11 on: July 01, 2014, 12:49:02 pm »
My boyfriend actually just asked about this at the post office today…

We are hoping to send home our Macbook and Nintendo Wii..

Apparently they WILL ship electronics but only if they are packed by a verified shipping company.  OUr post office told us where to find the one nearest our house.

So perhaps ask about this at your local branch. There is a small fee and they pack your electronics and pad them really well, and I suppose you get a receipt that you should the post office.

Or you could lie.. but the benefit of doing the above would be that you could insure your valuable electronics.  Check it out! :)

• dnnysn
  • Waygookin

« Reply #12 on: July 01, 2014, 02:05:56 pm »
Thanks, how much was it? Ems or surface mail? and last question haha does it get insured?

My boyfriend actually just asked about this at the post office today…

We are hoping to send home our Macbook and Nintendo Wii..

Apparently they WILL ship electronics but only if they are packed by a verified shipping company.  OUr post office told us where to find the one nearest our house.

So perhaps ask about this at your local branch. There is a small fee and they pack your electronics and pad them really well, and I suppose you get a receipt that you should the post office.

Or you could lie.. but the benefit of doing the above would be that you could insure your valuable electronics.  Check it out! :)

• karukun
  • Waygookin

• June 29, 2010, 10:56:34 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2014, 03:00:20 pm »
From what I was told by my local post office, they won't ship any electronics with batteries inside of them, including non-removable ones. I shipped a DSLR back to the States, without the battery, fine. I tried to mail a Nexus 5 phone, with non-removable battery, and told me I couldn't ship it.

So like people have said above, you either gotta lie, or hope you can find this "approved packager". It's my first time hearing about the second option.

« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2014, 01:46:50 am »
Has anyone ever tried sending a rice cooker (or other electrical appliances) home? Do the same rules (if you can even call them rules, it seems really vague and inconsistent) apply as for mobile phones etc? I have a really small one that I'd like to take back with me, but I don't really want to put it in my hand luggage.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2014, 06:19:04 am »
It is so weird, they won't ship phones without removable batteries but you can take a phone onto the airplane in carry on. Any explanations?
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!