Read 2510 times

• Blue
  • Adventurer

• October 01, 2013, 11:57:48 am
American Independent day (help!!)
« on: June 27, 2014, 08:19:53 am »
Hi

Hello everyone , I am not an American but i have been asked to have a class on American Independent day .  :huh:
If anyone have a lesson plan they have used and don't mind to share .I teach in a middle school but any info will do .

Thank you

Re: American Independent day (help!!)
« Reply #1 on: June 27, 2014, 08:39:17 am »

Tell them you're not American, and do a lesson on your own country's independence day, if you have one.  This "all foreigners are American" thing is silly. I wouldn't encourage it. Teach about your own country's holidays.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2014, 08:47:03 am »
LOL it always kills me when they ask you to teach culture and stuff from a country you are not from and probably know little about. I was asked to teach about Canada, the Philippines, and some other Asian countries before.

I told them I am American and can gladly teach about my specific, small area of America.

« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2014, 08:55:35 am »
Go to Google and search "site:waygook.org fourth of july" and "site:waygook.org american independence day" and "efl lesson american independence day". That should be enough to help you get started.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2014, 09:29:13 am »
I wouldn't even do the lesson. Try to switch to something your home country does.

« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2014, 10:03:25 am »
I would tell them "no." As you are not American, do not celebrate the holiday, and do not feel comfortable teaching about a holiday you have no knowledge about.

• emwsu
  • Veteran

• November 28, 2010, 09:19:06 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2014, 10:17:21 am »
If they are really pushing you to do this. Try to make it a comparison of different countries and how they celebrate their independence days. (USA, Korea, your country...)

I'm American and don't think I could come up with enough to make a lesson. I can think of other nationalities that have much better national holidays, that are more fun and united. 

As someone else mentioned each region is different. Last time I was home there was a parade, fireworks and lots of bbqs. People put out flags and red, white and blue is everywhere.
One thing I enjoy doing to my kids is showing them photos of food right before lunch, when they all complain they are hungry. This also backfires on me, as it makes me hungry. Then end up getting fishhead soup  :-[

Honestly the lesson sounds like BS. I wouldn't do it.

• Blue
  • Adventurer

« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2014, 10:33:35 am »
thank you guys ...i was also thinking of including my country we also have independent day ..so i can use the info from USA and SA ( South Africa ) and hopefully this won't be too much for my ss  :rolleyes:

« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2014, 10:39:12 am »
That's soooooo obnoxious! Definitely just do a comparative lesson.

Independence Day isn't even that interesting. I like fireworks, though.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2014, 10:40:31 am »
American Independence Day the super easy version: Independence. Red, white, and blue. Flags. BBQ/Beer.  Fireworks. 'Murica. Presentation over.

If you add in the history of why then it could probably be used as a whole lesson. A super boring whole lesson for Korean kids. If you don't then there really isn't that much to talk about.

• Blue
  • Adventurer

« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2014, 03:02:38 pm »
hi
Okay thank you guys for all your help and suggestions , have manage to put up a lesson about 'American Indepence day" took some materials here on waygood and added slides about my country's "Freedom day" as we call it ... forgot to save up the survey worksheets but i just use the vision i got here ( waygooks) and my co seems to like it so i guess i will be fine in class.

thank you again ...

worksheet goes like this ;

_________day is a holiday in ________ It's celebrated on ____  ______. On this day ,people do many things .They eat lots of food ________ ,they might watch a _____ game .Some people like to listen to music at ______ or play games at the _______
The best ppart of this holiday is the ______. They watch them at night .They are bright and beautiful .I hope you like this holiday ..

America          Independence         concert
July                 Barbecues              Baseball
Fireworks         4th                        Carnival .

and on South African worksheet same but multiple words are different ;

America _ South Africa       Barbecues - Braai        Baseball - Cricket and soccer games
4th - 27       July - April      Independence - Freedom day  ;D

Hope it helps

« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2014, 03:31:59 pm »
American Independence Day the super easy version: Independence. Red, white, and blue. Flags. BBQ/Beer.  Fireworks. 'Murica. Presentation over.

If you add in the history of why then it could probably be used as a whole lesson. A super boring whole lesson for Korean kids. If you don't then there really isn't that much to talk about.

Way to trivialize it. Also, I am really sick of this "Murrica" and "Merrica" stuff, nobody pronounces it that way. I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way IRL, ever.  It's disrespectful.

This is exactly why OP shouldn't do the lesson if he/she doesn't feel qualified to do so.  The 4th of July is important and meaningful.  Yes, we celebrate with BBQs and beer, but I don't care for your flippant description, and I don't care for the implication that it's okay to teach this lesson in a half-hearted, half-assed, dismissive way.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2014, 06:32:10 pm »

Way to trivialize it. Also, I am really sick of this "Murrica" and "Merrica" stuff, nobody pronounces it that way. I have never heard anyone pronounce it that way IRL, ever.  It's disrespectful.

This is exactly why OP shouldn't do the lesson if he/she doesn't feel qualified to do so.  The 4th of July is important and meaningful.  Yes, we celebrate with BBQs and beer, but I don't care for your flippant description, and I don't care for the implication that it's okay to teach this lesson in a half-hearted, half-assed, dismissive way.

Calm down Reagan Jr.

I never said to teach it half assed, if you look at the posts I clearly say DO NOT teach it as the OP is not American. And, way to offer a counter of what the holiday means to you. You say it's important and meaningful yet offer no evidence.

Also, people use 'Murica all the time online. usually when Americans do something dumb but anytime really. And I don't think it is disrespectful. I think it should force us to look inward at things like school shootings and the like, as that is when people use it most. So it should be a word that signals us to have some introspect at where we are and are heading as a country. Just my thoughts on it but im sure you don't care since "I don't care for your flippant description".