Read 1476 times

• asísevive
  • Waygookin

• June 24, 2014, 09:13:04 pm
    • Seoul, Korea
Switching from hagwon to public school: visa question!
« on: June 24, 2014, 09:25:24 pm »
Hi!
I'm going to be making the switch in September from a hagwon to a public elementary school - will I have to get a new visa? Or can I just extend my current visa?

Re: Switching from hagwon to public school: visa question!
« Reply #1 on: June 25, 2014, 07:01:54 am »
You can extend and the public school will accept documentation from immigration showing that your degree and criminal background check are on file.    But you will need to provide them with new - original, sealed transcripts. 

They'll accept proof that your BA is on file but not proof that your transcripts are on file.  You need to get new ones. 

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2014, 07:15:15 am »
You can extend and the public school will accept documentation from immigration showing that your degree and criminal background check are on file.    But you will need to provide them with new - original, sealed transcripts. 

They'll accept proof that your BA is on file but not proof that your transcripts are on file.  You need to get new ones.

I can confirm. I did this last year.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2014, 07:50:33 am »
I did the same thing in March. Just had to get a hold of some new transcripts. Everything else they had on file. Got my Visa changed over to the public school and was done. No hassle, except the Immigration office, but that is to be expected.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2014, 08:34:20 am »
Did you not have to get a new CBC? I thought they are only good for so long.

« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2014, 11:11:02 am »
A new native country Criminal Background Check would only confirm that you've not been convicted of any crimes in your home country while you haven't been in your home country.   The Koreans are (perhaps surprisingly) sufficiently wise to recognize this and thus have not requested additional Criminal Background Checks thus far. 

• tausha12
  • Veteran

• May 03, 2012, 07:24:08 am
    • Dongducheon, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2015, 08:37:02 pm »
Just bumping this topic.

Can anyone confirm this information is still true? I may be in the same boat when my current contract with my hagwon is up!