Read 1924 times

• c-fish
  • Explorer

• October 04, 2010, 10:05:01 pm
    • Samho
Long term project/extended classes
« on: April 08, 2011, 03:27:07 pm »
My schedule this term has me teaching 2 classes of grade 3s (one high level, one really low level) twice a week while the rest of the students only see me once a week. I don't want these 2 classes to get too far ahead of everyone else (I usually have to follow the textbook) but I'd still like to do something useful (and hopefully fun) with them.  I have a few ideas- making short movies, adapted camp-type classes, etc.- but I'm wondering if anyone has any experience with extended lessons or projects that might be good.
If you have any ideas or success with long term projects let me know. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

• kmark
  • Adventurer

• November 11, 2010, 02:11:45 pm
    • Busan, South Korea
Re: Long term project/extended classes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2011, 12:32:04 pm »
I've tried this twice. The first time last year we took the last 10-15 minutes of most classes to make some sort of art project, i.e. powerpoint, video, comic, so the could show off Busan. A few students got into it, most of them complained that it was soooo hard to make a 20 slide ppt. During winter camp we remade a music video - they had to choose a Western song and make a whole new video for it. It went so-so as quite a few of the students liked to skip class. The ones that participated enjoyed it though.

• c-fish
  • Explorer

• October 04, 2010, 10:05:01 pm
    • Samho
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 09:05:10 am »
Thanks,
I think the music video remake might work really well with my low-level class, they're always badgering me to watch western music videos in class, so making one will prob be a treat.

• Cpiacono
  • Newgookin

• March 09, 2011, 09:49:26 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 09:50:51 am »
thanks this is really helpful

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2011, 11:08:07 am »
You can make posters and put them on the wall ...

No smoking, drugs and so on.  Ask them to give you statistics and why they are bad.

Health conscious posters.

Food around the world posters (famous food from each country)

Year in Review 2010 posters - each student writes an article about a particular news that happened for each month.  Kimchi's skyrocket price, North Korea's attack, and so on.

Anything to show the school and parents that you actually did something. 

If you want to focus on al ittle bit about speaking as well... have them explain it to you and videotape it.

• gellarbbd
  • Explorer

• October 11, 2010, 11:30:24 pm
    • Gangwon-do
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2011, 11:16:24 am »
ive had my classes write penpals with some friends back home took a couple classes to teach how to write a letter, phrases to use, etc... the kids really enjoyed it when they got the reply letters back

• ejmclaine
  • Fanatical Supporter!

• September 12, 2010, 03:25:08 pm
    • Gyeonggi
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2011, 11:26:56 am »
Newspapers are always pretty fun and you can tell them that you want a crazy one instead of a regular one. You can devote one class to each section. Do an obituary day, where you talk about people in the past tense. Do a horoscope day where you get them to make predictions, do a "letter to the editor" where they discuss their problems and offer advice, do a "headline" day with the top story, you can incorporate a "ransom note" day in the crime section...
When I did this I also brought in my camera and had the kids act out the scenes for each section and then included them all in the newspaper. There are some awesome templates online too...
http://www.extranewspapers.com/Downloads/
« Last Edit: April 11, 2011, 11:32:23 am by ejmclaine »