Read 1295 times

Middle school book recommendations
« on: June 19, 2014, 12:30:14 pm »
Hello,

I have a middle school class which meets once a week. I am using the headway book, but don't care for it. I have 7 students. One girl is very low level, but rarely shows up to class. The other 6 students have a decent skills.

I am open to any suggestions which you might have. I would like to incorporate a little more speaking into the class.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Re: Middle school book recommendations
« Reply #1 on: June 23, 2014, 11:59:29 am »
I once taught at a Hagwon and used the textbook "Hot Topics" for a 2nd year middle school speaking class. 

http://www.compasspub.com/english/book/book_view.asp?sch_kind=&sch_value=&knd=SK&att=11&h_page=1&h_seq=1514&sch_order=P&pg_size=

Students were of the opinion that it was "difficult but in a rewarding way."

It works like this:  It'll introduce an opinionated piece about a topic in the reading part.  Then it'll give a different opinion in the listening part.  Students job is to say who they agree with and why.   There's some listening fill-in-the-blanks warmup stuff, too.   But the real meat of it was IDing and taking a stance with regards to an opinion.

Like one of the first chapters was "Starbucks is too expensive in Korea.  Americans are screwing us!" and the opposing viewpoint was, "Yo dawg real estate is super expensive in Korea and y'all ain't so big on dairy.  Gotta import that shizmo.  Get's expensive, y'all."  And then the students had to decide whether they agree with opinion #1 or #2. 

If your students aren't so good at thinking, like maybe have learned via rote memorization and would like to continue to do so, there's "Dynamic Listening and Speaking"  http://www.compasspub.com/english/book/book_view.asp?sch_kind=&sch_value=&knd=SK&att=11&h_page=1&h_seq=1283&sch_order=F&pg_size=15

It kind of plods along.  It's boring to teach and I am not personally fond of it but is solid in a "paint by numbers" sort of way. If you're fond of coming to work hungover and need a textbook which requires minimal brain power it'll do you good.   If you're keen to engage your students I'd go with Hot Topic.