Read 4052 times

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
US Immigration Timing Question
« on: June 17, 2014, 08:24:58 am »
MODS: Please do not attach this posting to the US Spouse Immigration thread as that thread is too long and hard to navagate these days. I would like to keep my question independent from it as it is in relation to me, specifically. Thank you.

Fellow Waygookins,

I will be "getting married" next month, however, I'd like to ask your opinions about timing when it comes to visa applicatons.

Ok, so I will walk you through what I know, and I'd love you guys to fill me in on everything I am missing, and answer my question about timing.

First of all, the question: How early should we apply?

I ask this because my fiancee is working in Dubai right now and she decided to finish her contract in August 2015. That is over a year from now, but we would like to time it so that she can get the visa by the time she finishes.

So with that being said, what steps should we take and approximately how long should it take to go through them?

The plan so far:
Marriage next month and apply for Korean marriage
This includes going to the embassy to get the Affidavit of Eligibility of Marriage
Signing the 혼인신고 at the city office.

That is about all we have planned so far. After that, we would like to apply for the visa so that we have enough time, but we aren't surprised with an early visa that would force her to quit her job early. I know that we have to get all the paperwork for the I-130 and other supporting documents, but "when" should we do that? Should we do it X months before we expect to live together in the US or should we do something else?

Thanks!

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: US Immigration Timing Question
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2014, 08:40:09 am »
I went with the NVC (mailing documents to the USA), this took us about a year, including the government shutdown in October.

others have finished theirs in a few months. it's up to you.

the Visa is tied to the Medical Exam. when the medical exam expires, the Visa also expires.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2014, 08:43:56 am by iamrhart »
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2014, 10:40:15 am »
I went with the NVC (mailing documents to the USA), this took us about a year, including the government shutdown in October.

the Visa is tied to the Medical Exam. when the medical exam expires, the Visa also expires.

So how long is it between the medical exam and being issued a visa? I think thats what I am getting at. I want to know about the timing so we dont end up with an expired visa.

• thedsr
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
    • Gimpo
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2014, 11:57:24 am »
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=58891.200

There is a lot of immigration related stuff in here.  I'd highly suggest reading all of it, and then asking any questions.  I'm going through the process, and I've read it in full about 4 times.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2014, 12:42:13 pm »

So how long is it between the medical exam and being issued a visa? I think thats what I am getting at. I want to know about the timing so we dont end up with an expired visa.

You will do your medical exam. then you will submit the exam at the visa interview. after the interview, you will get the visa. however, the visa is 'tied' to the validity of the medical exam.

if you got your med. exam on January 1, and had your interview on March 1, then the visa is valid for (6 months after the exam, unless something else happened) 4 more months.

does that make sense? ;D 

when you get your medical exam, the clock starts ticking. wont matter when you get the visa. if the med exam expires, then the visa expires.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2014, 01:38:28 pm »

You will do your medical exam. then you will submit the exam at the visa interview. after the interview, you will get the visa. however, the visa is 'tied' to the validity of the medical exam.

if you got your med. exam on January 1, and had your interview on March 1, then the visa is valid for (6 months after the exam, unless something else happened) 4 more months.

does that make sense? ;D 

when you get your medical exam, the clock starts ticking. wont matter when you get the visa. if the med exam expires, then the visa expires.

I am really sorry, but I think that I still am not making myself clear. I had similar issues with the embassy, so I guess I have to be extra clear.

I am interested specifically the timing over the visa. If she wants to immigrate on or around September 1, 2015, when should we start applying?

From what I understand, the process is:
1. Get married in Korea and get recognized (easiest part)

2. Apply for the Spouce visa. This is when the I-130 and other documents are to be submitted. Is this the time when the heath check paperwork is to be submitted?

3. Visa interview.

Where in the proces does the health checkup paperwork fit?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2014, 03:29:16 pm »

does that make sense? ;D 

I am really sorry, but I think that I still am not making myself clear. I had similar issues with the embassy, so I guess I have to be extra clear.

I am interested specifically the timing over the visa. If she wants to immigrate on or around September 1, 2015, when should we start applying?

2. Apply for the Spouce visa. This is when the I-130 and other documents are to be submitted. Is this the time when the heath check paperwork is to be submitted?

3. Visa interview.

the process goes like this.

1: I130
2: Accepted/Denied
3: Affidavit Of Support/Other docs.
4: Accepted Denied.
5: Notice that you are scheduled for interview
6: Checklist given to you. ON THE CHECKLIST it will say that you need to get a medical exam.
7: Interview (submit all docs. including exam)

i think maybe we dont understand what your asking....or maybe you dont understand our answers :D

*i suggest looking over the other thread again, with a fine tooth comb. we pretty much covered everything in there*

• thedsr
  • Veteran

• August 31, 2010, 07:19:43 pm
    • Gimpo
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2014, 03:30:31 pm »
Get the declaration of marriage from US Embassy.  Get "married" legally, sign some papers in the gu office. 
Then you have to get background checks, family history, and submit the I-130.  That has to be done in person.  Once you do that, then you need to get a medical check done.  Then you have another appointment and fill out more paperwork. 

Frankly, you seem to have no idea and have done no research into this at all.  It's not incredibly difficult.  Read the link I left before trying to ask everyone else how to do it for you.  It's ALL in there and will clear up any confusion you have.  Realistically, you are behind schedule to have your wife immigrate in September.  I'm well through the process and that is when we are leaving.  Good luck, do a little research and read through other peoples experiences. 

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2014, 04:06:02 pm »

does that make sense? ;D 

3. Visa interview.

the process goes like this.

1: I130
2: Accepted/Denied
3: Affidavit Of Support/Other docs.
4: Accepted Denied.
5: Notice that you are scheduled for interview
6: Checklist given to you. ON THE CHECKLIST it will say that you need to get a medical exam.
7: Interview (submit all docs. including exam)

i think maybe we dont understand what your asking....or maybe you dont understand our answers :D

*i suggest looking over the other thread again, with a fine tooth comb. we pretty much covered everything in there*

That is what I was looking for, so the exam is pre-interview, but the last step before the interview.

Another question if you fine folks don't mind:  Do you have to remain in Korea the whole time as the sponsor, or just up until the interview?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2014, 05:12:56 pm »
i dont know. i DO know that if they have your passport or her passport, that person cannot leave.

also, as the other thread shows it, here is a link. i HIGHLY recommend you read it and go through everything listed. that way you know what to expect.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

« Reply #10 on: June 18, 2014, 09:09:05 am »
i dont know. i DO know that if they have your passport or her passport, that person cannot leave.

also, as the other thread shows it, here is a link. i HIGHLY recommend you read it and go through everything listed. that way you know what to expect.

http://travel.state.gov/content/visas/english/immigrate/immigrant-process/documents/submit/documents-to-submit-to-nvc.html

Is that just at the end for when the visa is being issued, like with other visas, or you have to surrender your passport for the entire year it takes? That seems insane.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• XXXXXXXXxx