Read 2307 times

• joanns
  • Adventurer

• March 04, 2014, 01:21:46 pm
    more
in search of legit adult teaching gig
« on: June 15, 2014, 05:13:43 pm »
I'm on my 3rd yr teaching in Korea. The first 2 yrs were in a hagwon where I taught adults and kids. I loved it 'cause of the adults--they could make my day any day. They were the reason I got up in the morning and was excited to go to the hagwon.

I've started teaching in the public school system this year. Since I'm in a rural area, I teach multiple schools--elementary, middle, & high. I've realized that the only mornings I wake up excited are the ones when there's no school or it's Friday. I talk more excitedly about travelling than I do about my students. Don't get me wrong, they're not all evil (all the time) and there are classes I'm excited about. But I've realized that even though I can do this job, kids are simply not my passion.

I'm not going to break my contract or do a midnight run (GOD forbid!). But I am looking into where I can go to teach adults. I'm aware that I'll be going back to a hagwon (I don't have a Masters) and will teach split shifts. That's fine, I'm ok with that. I'm just wondering if there's an adult hagwon out there that's worth recommending.

• Menlyn
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 02:10:21 pm
    • Suwon
Re: in search of legit adult teaching gig
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 05:45:19 pm »
If you're ok with the split shifts, the minimal holidays (usually 1 random day off per month) and the average pay for longer hours (all of which apply to pretty much all adult gigs), then I'd recommend YBM.

I worked there for over a year and found it really enjoyable. In the end, the issues mentioned above were too much for me and I moved on. YBM's adult division advertises pretty regularly, and they have openings across the country. It's also a great chance to get into Seoul, if that's what you're looking for, as many of their locations are in prime areas such as Gangnam, Jongro and Sinchon.

« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2014, 06:54:33 pm »
Wall Street is competitive (2 interview process, I failed after one) but Pagoda like YBM maybe a little easier to get into (but you'll have to weigh up the split-shifts, pay and conditions etc to see if you still want to do it).

• joanns
  • Adventurer

more
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2014, 08:42:47 pm »
Thanks guys for your suggestions--and sorry for not thanking you two sooner.

So for the March(-ish) intake, when should I apply? I see most positions now only want teachers for the the summer or autumn. So around when do they start accepting applications for winter/spring? After Chuseok?

Also, I see many adult hagwons want Business English teachers. I don't know squat about business, but I have taught conversational English to adult students for 26 months at my previous hagwon. I really don't want to return to that hagwon, seeing teachers must teach adults and kids. I want to teach only adults. Please.  :huh:
The question here is, which is more important: my 26 months experience or my lack of Business English?
« Last Edit: July 11, 2014, 06:50:03 am by joanns »

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2014, 04:56:03 am »
Just dropping in to say I'm quite interested in teaching adults as well so I'm curious to see if you get any answers. I'm an EFL noob but have a couple years teaching adults back in Canda. Maybe that'll be to my advantage. I'm working with OK Recruiting now and they've sent me a few kinda alright offers.. wondering if I should check out YBM? I've heard bad things about teaching adults too..

• joanns
  • Adventurer

more
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2014, 07:55:10 am »
Well, people say bad things about everything. I don't see why the realm of teaching adults would be immune to criticism.

All I can say is that I prefer adults over kids for the main fact that adults WANT to learn. The kids have English forced on them. I honestly don't blame them for hating English. There are some adults who sign up because they need English for their jobs/studies, and there are some who genuinely want to study (for whatever reason it may be).

Hence my search for an adult teaching position that's not slave work and fulfilling (again, I'm looking for a <1 yr. position).

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2014, 12:11:52 pm »
The benefit of teaching adults, as someone said, is that most of them have a strong will to learn a new language. Older students (35+) will be more determined and open to learning. Younger students, especially university students, usually want to learn but just as often see English as another tool to get a job. They don't care about conversation -- they're all about TOEIC.

My favorite students are the ones who say they want to enjoy the benefits of knowing a new language. They want to watch movies without subtitles, travel abroad and chat with locals, read foreign newspapers, etc. They love questions and aren't deterred by their mistakes.

Other adult learners will just say they want a good test score and a higher position in a large company. They don't have time for your stupid explanations and grammar rules, and they don't care what stupid thing you do in your stupid home country -- WHAT IS THE ANSWER TO NUMBER 47 ON THE TEST?!

• joanns
  • Adventurer

more
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2014, 12:35:32 pm »
True, very true.

Nevertheless, let's not get off topic. I'm guilty of that already.

I did some research, and besides YBM and Wall Street, I've heard of these 3 that seem ok:

Virtedco
Mavens Language Center
Herald Adult School (in downtown Daegu)

Now, does/has anyone here worked in any of these 5? If so, what was your experience? Would you recommend it? If you must warn against any of these, why?
If you prefer, feel free to pm me your epistle of your experience.

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2014, 12:40:32 pm »
I was offered a position at that Herald location but ultimately declined because they were unwilling to uphold key parts of Korean law regarding pension and healthcare. They insisted that pension was voluntary and a waste of money (total lies) and that privately administered healthcare was also an option (more lies).

I did like the sound of their schedule (lumping your classes together to avoid split shifts), and they offered full payment for housing (YBM only offers 200,000/month and teachers pay the rest). But I preferred not having to worry about being cheated out of things left and right, which assuredly they would do.