Read 2029 times

• koreanstar
  • Veteran

• April 07, 2011, 02:35:08 pm
    • seongnam, south korea
Work Experience? Do I Mention it or Not?
« on: June 10, 2014, 09:38:10 am »
Hello my fellow beloved Waygookins or shall I say Waygookers?

First my background is necessary to know it relates to my question. I taught for 5 years in Korea at two different middle schools and did a pretty great job there at both schools. I left last fall to go back home and see my family due to a family urgency.
Now the serious question I have to ask all you guys, I've heard many people in schools in Korea say that if anybody wants to get hired for schools there, having experience is a detriment to job placement. Schools would like to hire newbies for reasons of wage and "to mold newbies" as they see fit. So the question is, guys, do you think it'd be wise to lie on my resume and say that I have never taught in Korea? Or just be honest and say the truth?

BTW, I am a Korean-American, which could hurt my chances of getting hired even more in the first place

For any comments, questions and replies I would very appreciative.
Thanks guys

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
Re: Work Experience? Do I Mention it or Not?
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2014, 09:40:34 am »
That'd be a pretty big lie. I wouldn't recommend it.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• mikeD
  • Super Waygook

• March 31, 2013, 07:46:49 pm
    • Geoje, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2014, 09:41:15 am »
It seems strange that you would have to lie about your experience which is a positive thing. At the same time, your pay would be bumped way down. I would be honest and hope to get a job where you want with a nice starting pay due to your experience. If you lie it could end up bad. Hope it works out for you!

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2014, 09:44:45 am »
I've heard many people in schools in Korea say that if anybody wants to get hired for schools there, having experience is a detriment to job placement. Schools would like to hire newbies for reasons of wage and "to mold newbies" as they see fit.
Thanks guys
I personally feel that this sentiment is just the cynicism of certain posters leaking through. Most public schools that I've worked at were very happy to learn that I've had previous teaching experience -- it making establishing the teaching routine much easier etc etc.

On the other hand, some hagwons might consider it a disadvantage: an experienced teacher will not take the same kind of abuse as a newbie, and will have a better idea how to prevent an employer from taking advantage of them. Of course, you probably don't want to work at a place where they plan on taking advantage of you anyway, so letting potential employers know that you have experience really can't hurt.

Good luck with your hunt!  :smiley:

• phoebe100
  • Super Waygook

• November 08, 2011, 01:15:36 pm
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2014, 09:46:17 am »
Any school or public school program that would hire a newbie over someone like yourself who has experience wouldn't be worth working for anyway. Definitely put it down. I'm sure you'll find something worth it.

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2014, 09:51:02 am »
When I got my job through EPIK at a public school in Gyeongnam they informed us that they only take on teachers who have experience. There were only about seven teachers going to Gyeongnam in that EPIK intake.

• Aqvm
  • Expert Waygook

• March 09, 2012, 06:55:24 am
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2014, 10:55:28 am »
You'll probably be able to find a job at any level of experience, so why lie yourself into a lower pay-grade? If you're a little patient you can find a position that will pay you properly for your experience level.

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2014, 11:32:26 am »
Either:

A) The cynics are correct.  Schools will reject you for having experience as they want whipping boy.  You do not want to be a whipping boy and therefore do not want to work at such a school.  Mentioning your experience serves to filter out bad schools.  Therefore you should state your experience.

B) The cynics are incorrect.  Schools do not filter out experienced candidates and you would be hired (or not) regardless of experience, albiet at a lower pay grade.  Presumably you like more money more than less money, so you should state your experience.

• Kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2014, 02:57:06 pm »
Either:

A) The cynics are correct.  Schools will reject you for having experience as they want whipping boy.  You do not want to be a whipping boy and therefore do not want to work at such a school.  Mentioning your experience serves to filter out bad schools.  Therefore you should state your experience.

B) The cynics are incorrect.  Schools do not filter out experienced candidates and you would be hired (or not) regardless of experience, albeit at a lower pay grade.  Presumably you like more money more than less money, so you should state your experience.
+1
 Never thought I would live to see the day when I would say this about one of Blast's posts, but this is both an insightful answer, and it makes a lot of sense. Seriously. :wink:

• Nominstar86
  • Adventurer

• June 07, 2014, 05:32:21 pm
    • United States
    more
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2014, 05:02:38 pm »
I don't see why you would have to lie about your teaching experiences. You shouldn't have to lie about the work that you did. Don't worry about whether they hire you or not because you are already qualified to teach. Just be honest. I never heard of schools not willing to hire teachers because they are "too qualified" unless they just don't want to give you decent wages. Teaching experiences should be a plus not a minus.
"Some folks are wise and some are otherwise."

-Tobias Smollett