Read 1432 times

Getting medication in Korea.
« on: May 22, 2014, 05:25:16 pm »
Hey Waygooks,

I'm hoping someone on here might be able to help me.

Before coming to Korea I was taking medication for mental health. I told my employer that I wasn't taking medication because I didn't want it to have a negative impact on the interview process. Without the medication I experience long bouts of deep depression and anxiety that eventually go away and transform into brief moments of feel-goodedness.

My parents have been sending me my medication without any problems but I don't like having to hassle them every month and a half.

Is it possible to get my medication here in Korea? And what are the legal ramifications of obtaining my medication locally (if it's even possible)? Can my employer find out and terminate my contract? I've been teaching in Korea for over a year and I really enjoy it. It would really suck if I had to go home for trying to get my medication here in Korea.

• johnyv40
  • Adventurer

• March 10, 2013, 07:55:16 pm
    • Cheonan
Re: Getting medication in Korea.
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2014, 07:39:59 am »
I don't know where you live

But maybe the International Clinic in Itaewon can help you.

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2014, 07:42:33 am »
I don't know where you live

But maybe the International Clinic in Itaewon can help you.

I second this. There is a Kyopo doctor there who speaks English without an accent very approachable with a good sense of humour.

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2014, 07:58:30 am »
You can definitely get those types of medications here. I'm not sure exactly what you're taking but I have had friends start taking anti-depressants here and I take Lyrica myself. I go an internal medicine doctor in my city (Bucheon) and while his English isn't perfect we can communicate well enough to get me what I need (and way cheaper too!).

At first I was worried that my school might find out but I've been seeing this doctor and getting my meds for over a year now with no problems.

Best of luck!

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2014, 10:49:52 am »
Great! Thanks so much for your all's help  ;D