Read 1969 times

• stotes
  • Adventurer

• August 19, 2012, 07:45:59 pm
    • Daegu, South Korea
Hello.

My new English classroom has Biochalk chalkboards.  Biochalk is a waterbased chalk, with a kind of oily texture, that washes off with water soaked erasers.  They're great, and I'm loving using them, but I'm not sure how to take care of my blackboards properly. 

BIOCHALK: http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=354214597

Blackboard: http://biochalk.en.ec21.com/Blackboard--3304751.html

I am looking for some tips on maintaining the blackboard and erasers. 

Currently I am washing the erasers once a week in cold water, and just wash the boards with clean erasers periodically.  Of course there's no soap or hot water available for washing, so I think maybe I will bring some liquid dish soap to school (is this a bad idea?).

The boards tend to accumulate a film of white / blue pastelly stuff when I erase them, which is ok for writing, but aesthetically unpleasing.

Does anyone have experience using these?  Any tips to share?  I want a shiny sparkling blackboard!

Re: Tips for Maintaining a Biochalk Chalkboard (for water based chalk)
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2014, 09:02:20 pm »
I've got one of these in my classroom... Had it for 2 years now. still looks brand new. (it's white though)

We just wash it down with water after every lesson. no soaps or anything needed.

we replace the erasers when they are worn.

We have a special container for the eraser. it can be washed and drained in a self contained unit after every use. keep it from spreading colours on the board... just have to refill the container with clean water daily. we have the student do that during cleaning time.

• Lurch
  • Expert Waygook

• September 05, 2011, 08:31:17 am
    • Chungju
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2014, 07:34:07 am »
I had one once. I hated it. The eraser water stank, the liquid chalk stuff got everywhere and even a full marker barely lasted half a class. It was unanimously hated by teachers using it. They, thankfully, got rid of it.

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2014, 07:44:56 am »
I use a spray bottle filed with tap water. I spray the board, then wipe it with the eraser. I clean the erasers once a week or so depending on board usage. I find this method to erase better than the established method of wiping a dry board with a wet eraser.

PS lurch, liquid chalk is entirely different, and I agree it's awful.

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2014, 07:52:38 am »
When you erase with the eraser and it leaves streaks, use a dry cloth to wipe up the excess streaks on the board. Cleans it right up and makes it look like new!

• Absenthius
  • Veteran

• June 30, 2012, 08:49:19 pm
    • Seongnam-si, Gyeonggi-do, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2014, 08:35:07 am »
Aaaagh, I hate that crap! My co-teachers always leave the chalk holder thing in some strange place that I can't find so I end up having to hold it in my hands. So naturally after most classes I have this gungy wet chalk crap on my hands.

• Squire
  • Super Waygook

• March 01, 2011, 02:11:36 pm
    • Yeosu
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2014, 09:56:50 am »
The spray idea is good!

I use them at a school I visit once a week and I like them. It annoys me when the teachers only keep a white holder thing so I get yellow, red or blue waxy stuff on my fingers when I want to use another colour, but white board markers don't have much of a life and traditional black boards (no racist) result in chalk getting everywhere. I suppose if you have a good supply of markers then white boards might be the best, but there's always an idiot leaving the tops off and letting the markers dry out  >:(

• stotes
  • Adventurer

• Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2014, 02:17:52 pm »
We have a special container for the eraser. it can be washed and drained in a self contained unit after every use. keep it from spreading colours on the board... just have to refill the container with clean water daily. we have the student do that during cleaning time.

I am interested in this container / cleaning device.  Currently the eraser we use seems to collect all the colors (usually an amalgam of blue and white) and then spreads a colored film across the board while erasing.

Any ideas where to get one?  G market has the BIOCHALK and chalk holders (so handy!) but no eraser holder things.

• stotes
  • Adventurer

• Daegu, South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2014, 02:24:37 pm »
Great tips so far!  :laugh:

• Spray the board down with water first, then use the eraser.
  • Use a dry eraser after wiping down to eliminate streaks
  • Clean the eraser and boards regularly.

Also, for those of you complaining of a lack of chalk holders:  They are really cheap on GMarket.  http://item2.gmarket.co.kr/English/detailview/item.aspx?goodscode=354775116

For standard sized bio chalk, choose the first option (9파이).  I got my own set of 4 for each color, and never have to worry about the other teachers stashing them somewhere secret.

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2014, 02:33:31 pm »

I am interested in this container / cleaning device.  Currently the eraser we use seems to collect all the colors (usually an amalgam of blue and white) and then spreads a colored film across the board while erasing.

Any ideas where to get one?  G market has the BIOCHALK and chalk holders (so handy!) but no eraser holder things.

I'm surprised that there are schools that use the wet chalkboards without the cleaning tank. When I first got here, I didn't like the wet chalkboard, but after adjusting to it, I love it now. It doesn't have that brittle feeling that I remember using in elementary school.

If you have two erasers, keep one wet, and one dry. Wet wipe, dry, voila!
Articles of Confederation, the supreme law of the land.