Read 4681 times

Re: Sleep
« Reply #20 on: May 21, 2014, 11:58:50 am »
Right now my co-teacher has laid out a yoga mat across one of the students desk, complete with a blanket and pillow, for an after lunch snooze. I have no idea what would happen if the principal showed up now.

« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2014, 01:40:37 pm »
There are 2/8 people napping in my office right now.  We are pretty far away from the administrative office and our very strict VP also naps after lunch for an hour, so I guess they think it's safe.  I can't sleep without silence so I don't nap at school but I definitely would if I could!

« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2014, 02:03:27 pm »
I often put my head down on my desk but it's hard to fully descend into sleep. The other day I locked my door and hid near a sofa so I could actually properly sleep. The staff is fine with it since they do it too but the real issue is keeping the kids away. My room is also the English library so they can just wander in to see whats up and even the ones that are nice will just walk over, wake me up, and be like "Teacher, are you sleepy?" as if they hadn't literally just woken me up from sleeping. They mean well but it's one of the few times where I just want to strangle them.

« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2014, 02:56:04 pm »
When in Rome...

I figure teachers should do whatever they need to do to help them teach effectively. If that means having a power nap or unwinding after work with 4 bottles of soju then that's what it takes. It's only if it starts to damage your ability to teach that it's a problem.

Not all jobs are alike. Teaching is one of those jobs where the tasks you have can actually be completed, and you don't have an endless workload which builds up faster than any human can clear it.

Stay healthy, teachers and students alike. I wouldn't tell my students off for sleeping during their breaks, so long as they're attentive during class.

« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2014, 03:15:21 pm »
I'd pay someone good money to give me the skills to have an afternoon nap without waking up and feeling like I've been in a car crash, disorientated and severely malnourished.  >:(

« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2014, 03:24:24 pm »
I'd pay someone good money to give me the skills to have an afternoon nap without waking up and feeling like I've been in a car crash, disorientated and severely malnourished.  >:(

Sleep less than an hour or you get sleep inertia and feel like garbage. If a 20 minute nap does all that to you then I think your condition is kinda unique.