Read 7443 times

• asa47
  • Adventurer

• August 22, 2011, 09:39:58 pm
    • 한국
Hello.  Actually, this year is my first year working at a hagwon.  I chose to work at a YBM ECC that answered directly to the head office; however, after a month of working there, it was sold and became a franchise.  Our manager was replaced with a new manager, and a few teachers, as well as our supervisor, quit and worked elsewhere.  This greatly concerned me because it seemed like people were leaving simply because our hagwon became a franchise.  What is more bizarre to me is that it's been a little over two months, and yet, we have not seen the new contract.  Also, a new native English teacher came last Friday, but has skipped town and gone back to his country, so we will most likely have to take all of his classes.  Now, I was planning on reapplying to EPIK for spring 2015 (I had worked at a middle school through that program before for two years), but the problem is that I need at least one letter of recommendation from the current employer.  However, if I do not sign the new contract when it is given to us, that will obviously be impossible.  So my question is, is there a way around that?  Note that we'd have to sign a resignation letter for the old contract as well.  I'm not too sure I'd want to sign the new contract, seeing as how there seem to be a lot of warning signs about the new management.  Also, assuming that I "resign," would I still be able to get a D-10 visa, or would I be forced to go back home?  I didn't plan on working at a franchise; I had decided to work there solely because it answered to the head office.  So, I don't think it would be fair for me to be viewed as negligent about my work.  Is there a way I could stay in Korea long enough to start work with EPIK in spring 2015?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Update:  It seems I was right.  This new manager is a crooked one.  She has not given a new contract to ANY of the new teachers who have been coming in, both foreign and Korean alike.  So, basically, we're working under a contract from the head office that is no longer valid, since our hagwon is now a franchise.  Is this even legal???  Aren't we supposed to have a new contract with the new owner?  Not only that, but one of the native English teachers almost got cheated out of her severance pay and a few other things in the old contract because the new manager said that, technically, she's "not obligated to pay the things in the old contract, as it's not [her] contract."  The new manager is the one who's not even giving us a new contract lol Anyway, that teacher got lucky and was able to get everything that was owed to her, but the rest of us may not be so lucky.  Moreover, we have no health insurance now; apparently, this happened ever since the new manager officially started working at our hagwon.  I'll know this week whether that problem as actually been fixed or not.  So far, I can see this hagwon is going down the toilet.  It was great before it changed into a franchise, but now, this is ridiculous.  My patience is seriously wearing thin, and I think I will have to quit at some point.  However, I want to stay in Korea and apply to the EPIK Program one last time, before I go back home to get my teaching credentials.  The problem is, is that even possible, when I had already used a D-10 visa once?  If someone knows of a solution, please tell me!  How can I quit, but still be able to stay in Korea and apply to the EPIK Program?  Would I be forced to go back home and start all over again with getting all the necessary documents?
« Last Edit: June 05, 2014, 12:40:20 pm by asa47 »

Re: Bizarre Problem with Current Hagwon
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2014, 06:56:17 am »
Hello.  Actually, this year is my first year working at a hagwon.  I chose to work at a YBM ECC that answered directly to the head office; however, after a month of working there, it was sold and became a franchise.  Our manager was replaced with a new manager, and a few teachers, as well as our supervisor, quit and worked elsewhere.  This greatly concerned me because it seemed like people were leaving simply because our hagwon became a franchise.  What is more bizarre to me is that it's been a little over two months, and yet, we have not seen the new contract.  Also, a new native English teacher came last Friday, but has skipped town and gone back to his country, so we will most likely have to take all of his classes.  Now, I was planning on reapplying to EPIK for spring 2015 (I had worked at a middle school through that program before for two years), but the problem is that I need at least one letter of recommendation from the current employer.  However, if I do not sign the new contract when it is given to us, that will obviously be impossible.  So my question is, is there a way around that?  Note that we'd have to sign a resignation letter for the old contract as well.  I'm not too sure I'd want to sign the new contract, seeing as how there seem to be a lot of warning signs about the new management.  Also, assuming that I "resign," would I still be able to get a D-10 visa, or would I be forced to go back home?  I didn't plan on working at a franchise; I had decided to work there solely because it answered to the head office.  So, I don't think it would be fair for me to be viewed as negligent about my work.  Is there a way I could stay in Korea long enough to start work with EPIK in spring 2015?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Oh, and unrelated, but does anyone know whether it is possible to get a university job without a Master's Degree or at least one year of experience teaching adults in a school setting?  If so, how?

Yeah, go to China

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2014, 07:58:32 am »
As far as the recommendation letter goes, get one now from someone that likes you and is leaving. I ask any teacher that is leaving and I have a good relationship with to give me a letter of recommendation. That way I always have a few on hand for the next job.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2014, 08:31:23 am »
Assuming that you re-sign with your new owners at YBM, you'll need to apply for an "additional workplace" change on your E-2 at immigration. I know this because I had the exact same thing happen to me at my hagwon - our school was sold mid-way through our contract.
I didn't realize the D-10 was going to be such a problem because of that additional workplace stamp. Basically, the D-10 allows you to use your old documents 2 times max. You can essentially get 2 different workplaces out of your original set of documents. Of course, they count the "additional workplace" as the 2nd change.
We lucked out and told them again and again that it was the same job, just different owner, blah blah, and eventually he gave us the D-10.
Just be aware that they technically don't have to give it to you because the 2 changes have already occurred in their eyes.
Best of luck with all of this, I've been there and it's not a lot of fun making these decisions.

• asa47
  • Adventurer

• 한국
« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2014, 06:40:11 am »
Assuming that you re-sign with your new owners at YBM, you'll need to apply for an "additional workplace" change on your E-2 at immigration. I know this because I had the exact same thing happen to me at my hagwon - our school was sold mid-way through our contract.
I didn't realize the D-10 was going to be such a problem because of that additional workplace stamp. Basically, the D-10 allows you to use your old documents 2 times max. You can essentially get 2 different workplaces out of your original set of documents. Of course, they count the "additional workplace" as the 2nd change.
We lucked out and told them again and again that it was the same job, just different owner, blah blah, and eventually he gave us the D-10.
Just be aware that they technically don't have to give it to you because the 2 changes have already occurred in their eyes.
Best of luck with all of this, I've been there and it's not a lot of fun making these decisions.

That's not good...I had already changed to a D-10 visa once, so I would need the second time for when I would be waiting to start work with EPIK in spring 2015.  Does that mean I'm stuck?

Edit:  I just realized something...Actually, after my contract with EPIK ended, I switched to a D-10.  Then, I subbed at a different hagwon for a month under an E2 visa, which was transferred to my current workplace.  Does that mean I wouldn't be able to get a D-10 visa anymore, since I have worked at a total of three workplaces already? O_o Then what to do, since my current contract expires in February when work with the public school wouldn't start until the beginning of March? x.x
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 07:19:02 am by asa47 »

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2014, 08:15:28 am »

That's not good...I had already changed to a D-10 visa once, so I would need the second time for when I would be waiting to start work with EPIK in spring 2015.  Does that mean I'm stuck?

Edit:  I just realized something...Actually, after my contract with EPIK ended, I switched to a D-10.  Then, I subbed at a different hagwon for a month under an E2 visa, which was transferred to my current workplace.  Does that mean I wouldn't be able to get a D-10 visa anymore, since I have worked at a total of three workplaces already? O_o Then what to do, since my current contract expires in February when work with the public school wouldn't start until the beginning of March? x.x

1) Find a teacher that likes you and get a letter of reference.
2) Go home and relax. If that is a no-go....take a vacation. 
3) Apply with EPIK for the August orientation. Save yourself the stress.
Canada Connections also does August and October/November intakes too.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:09 am »

Okay, well my understanding is that you can only go from an E-2 to a D-10 and back to an E2 one time. So, I would safely say they most likely won't do it. BUT as we all know, immigration is a very individual experience and it all depends on who you deal with.
If I were you I would definitely count on needing new documents for your next job. If you get all of your documents lined up you should be able to start in spring, if I'm understanding your situation correctly - do a visa run and all is good.
Also, it was a PAIN switching from a hagwon to public with a D-10. For some reason it's not as easy as switching from public to hagwon - the office of education prefers original documents among other issues I ran into in my experience.

« Reply #7 on: May 08, 2014, 09:32:33 am »
Yeah, go to China

Read the posts on here concerning the current conditions facing uni teachers in Korea.

I'm sure this poster is being facetious and/or snarky but I'll add by saying that with new Chinese visa regulations, you'd need 2 years of solid, verifiable experience to land just about any teaching gig in China.  There might be some cases of coming to China on your own coin, teaching under the table and doing visa runs to Hong Kong every 3 months.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #8 on: May 08, 2014, 10:38:55 am »
Also, it was a PAIN switching from a hagwon to public with a D-10. For some reason it's not as easy as switching from public to hagwon - the office of education prefers original documents among other issues I ran into in my experience.

Really? I never had that issue before -- I submitted copies of most of my documents (except for the criminal background check, the medical check, and the recommendation letters), and my former MOEs/POEs accepted the copies, no problem. Maybe it depends on the particular MOE/POE, I suppose.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 10:45:49 am by Mezoti97 »

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• Busan, South Korea
« Reply #9 on: May 08, 2014, 11:23:44 am »

Really? I never had that issue before -- I submitted copies of most of my documents (except for the criminal background check, the medical check, and the recommendation letters), and my former MOEs/POEs accepted the copies, no problem. Maybe it depends on the particular MOE/POE, I suppose.

I think everything depends on everything - all any of us can do is give glimpses of our own experiences, which will obviously differ from one person to the next. This is even more true in Korea where nothing ever seems to be cut and dry.

So, yes really.

• asa47
  • Adventurer

• 한국
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2014, 02:59:48 pm »
***Note:  I updated my current situation in the first post.  Please help. :( ***

stemarty:  Thanks for the advice :)

busandar:  How does a visa run work?  I mean, under what conditions can you do it, what results from it, and how do you do it?  Also, I have been working only in Daejeon for the past two and half years, so would I still need to get new documents, even though I would plan on continuing work in Daejeon and not in another province?  The Daejeon Office of Education had told me that as long as they have my original documents, all I need is certified copies directly from them.

Mezoti97:  I hope my case is the same as yours, as my impression from the Daejeon Office of Education and the EPIK Program was that certified copies directly from the Daejeon Office of Education are enough.  They didn't mention any possibility of me having to get everything from scratch again.

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2014, 07:34:46 am »
I am not 100%, but I remember reading this somewhere in a thread; someone had a similar issue.

It was mentioned that, yes, legally the new owner doesn't have to honor the old contract, and you should be re-signing under a new contract. OR, the new owner can honor the old contracts (saves them the hassle of resubmitting contracts to immigration etc..). If they are working you under the old contract then you legally should be receiving the benefits of said contract. YOU NEED to file/make a case/complain to Labor board. If you don't, they will say you never made a case, and they have no evidence that this was going on. You have to file BEFORE you  try and get your money.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

• asa47
  • Adventurer

• 한국
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2014, 11:57:50 am »
I am not 100%, but I remember reading this somewhere in a thread; someone had a similar issue.

It was mentioned that, yes, legally the new owner doesn't have to honor the old contract, and you should be re-signing under a new contract. OR, the new owner can honor the old contracts (saves them the hassle of resubmitting contracts to immigration etc..). If they are working you under the old contract then you legally should be receiving the benefits of said contract. YOU NEED to file/make a case/complain to Labor board. If you don't, they will say you never made a case, and they have no evidence that this was going on. You have to file BEFORE you  try and get your money.

I see.  By the way, the owner FINALLY gave us the new contract yesterday, but it's quite different from what I had originally agreed to with the head department.  In fact, I would be losing, while the owner would be getting extra money in her pocket because of it.  Honestly, I don't think it's worth it signing that new contract, and if the owner is stubborn and refuses to just allow me and another native English teacher to finish our old contracts (she could just make the new ones exactly the same or, like you said, honor the old contracts), then I'm better off working elsewhere.  I already work hard enough as it is, so getting lower payment and less benefits than what I had agreed to is belittling my hard work and might possibly give the owner the idea that she can cut corners as much as she wants without a hassle.  However, I'm not sure whether there would be any way of "quitting" but still being able to continue working in Korea when I had already changed to a D-10 visa once.  Is that what the so-called "visa-run" is for?  I don't suppose there were any posts about people doing a visa-run and still being able to apply to EPIK, were there?

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
Can't you get a new visa, since your original contract is void you should be able to get a new one from everything people have posted here over time.

• asa47
  • Adventurer

• 한국
Can't you get a new visa, since your original contract is void you should be able to get a new one from everything people have posted here over time.

I have no idea.  That's what I'd like to know. ^^; I'm not sure what happens to the visa when an original contract becomes void due to a change in ownership...