Read 9269 times

• Panther
  • Waygookin

• September 16, 2013, 06:53:41 am
Begging Students?
« on: April 26, 2014, 05:26:27 pm »
Has anyone else have this happen to them?

I teach middle school and while shopping for groceries, two separate groups of boys came up to me begging.  The first group just gave me a hard time about giving me some of my groceries/snacks but the second group surrounded me against a shelf and demanded I buy them ice cream with even one boy putting his hand on me to make sure I didn't move.  Is this normal behaviour that any of you have experienced?

• weRborg
  • Super Waygook

• September 20, 2012, 05:15:44 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Begging Students?
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 05:38:41 pm »
Jesus no. I've never heard of that. i mean, I've had beggers harass me here, but they were Chinese or Mongolian. But local boys?

Doesn't surprise me though. Korean kids are some of the most spoiled kids in the world.
$10 off orders of $40 or more
or $5 off order under $40: www.iherb.com coupon code: ADO919

For all your health/bath&beauty/supplement needs! Lowest prices, low shipping, and quality reviews.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 07:20:08 pm »
were they your students?
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• Panther
  • Waygookin

« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 07:28:03 pm »
Yes.  The first group I have been teaching for almost a full year.  The second group I just started teaching this year.

« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 07:38:37 pm »
Tell them to go into the shop and buy it themselves.

• Suz-goose
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2012, 07:33:45 am
    • Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 07:42:34 pm »
Lol cheeky wee buggars! Use it as an opportunity to teach them some key phrases such as:

Get stuffed
I don't think so
Not a chance
No way Jose
You should be so bloody lucky

etc

Then of course any time you see them eating ever you should demand they feed you too, because you know they should be so thankful for all your teaching  :P

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 07:43:36 pm »
You could mention it to the homeroom teacher.  I've seen my students beg to them and get scolded about it.  Be firm but fair. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 07:53:45 pm »
I'd be more inclined to break a finger or two if some kid touched me like that, and he'd still be getting off lighter than if he did that to a Korean teacher. Can you imagine?!

Of course, don't actually break anyone's fingers. Duh. But you see what I mean. All in all, it's better for kids that age if you're more heavy-handed than not. It's true that foreigners are here to blah blah put on a good example of whatever waygookins are supposed to look good...something something... But we're not here to deal with their ignorant sh*t either. That's a good lesson to teach too.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 08:02:37 pm »
Yes.  The first group I have been teaching for almost a full year.  The second group I just started teaching this year.

you should mention it to your coteacher. that's not behaviour they should be doing.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 09:08:07 pm »
Yes, many times.
Pretty common.
Dont be fooled though, these korean kids have it really good. Better than you or I ever did. They re just trying to milk u for snacks . Theyre not poor or hungry haha

• madison79
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 19, 2010, 01:26:04 pm
    • Interweb
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2014, 07:48:07 am »

you should mention it to your coteacher. that's not behaviour they should be doing.

Homeroom teachers have much more pull over their students than the English teacher. 
It's -ev to deal with some people.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 08:11:46 am »
when the kids are getting to know you/me, they will pull something like this.

not always food. but sometimes toys or PC Bang time.

how do i handle it? if it is one or two kids, i look at them straight in the eyes (this is a point where the majority of Koreans become shy, with eye-contact) :wink: and say, "sorry, you buy me __(ice cream)__.  they tend to back off at that point.

if its a large group, and they are pestering me.  not the usual hi, hello. but the:
Ss: Hello teacher
T: hi. hello to you too.
Ss: Hello teacher. you buy me ___.
T: no, sorry.
Ss: Teacher, i love you.
T: ok. thank you. see you at school
Ss: Hello Teacher, you buy me ___
*not taking no for an answer*
depending on how long this goes and how much of a 'circle' conversation i will have, i tend to gently say "nah-gah", then i yell it.  That tends to get the point across.
(it means....in a easy translation...."go away" or "get lost". but more direct translation is "you, go!")
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• DrPeppero
  • Adventurer

• August 06, 2012, 09:01:58 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 09:37:40 am »
Just say no?

• Panther
  • Waygookin

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 10:17:45 am »
I did say no.  And I do plan on dealing with it tomorrow.  Just didn't know if this was a cultural thing.  The area we live is cut off a bit and the kids don't have much exposure outside of the town.

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 10:23:28 am »
It's a cultural thing in that they think they can pull this junk with you when they know very well it would be totally out of line with a Korean teacher.

EDIT: I've had students joke around like this too, but just once or twice. You can tell when they're just kidding -- "Teacher, lots of money! I no money! I need ice cream! For health!" I would counter with "But on Teachers' Day, you...no gift for me! So sad!" And that was that.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:27:32 am by oatmealkooky »

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 03:51:46 pm »
My students beg me all the time

But I give them no mercy~~~

• DrPeppero
  • Adventurer

• August 06, 2012, 09:01:58 am
    • Incheon
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 04:04:27 pm »
Cultural thing or not I don't reward students for anything except during class or if they did well in class and want a snack from outside.

But to suddenly ask while I'm grocery shopping, never.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2014, 06:03:26 pm »
i also want to counter this (i posted on one side of the discussion/debate, now i will post on the 'other side' of it)

i had been told that teachers are "held" in high esteem. especially homeroom teachers.
it was 'said' that it was not uncommon for homeroom teachers to be the 'go to buddy' for students. this would include sleep-overs (of more than one student), parties, being 'on call' if the child had an emergency, or if the child was being abused, then the teacher was seen as the one who was responsible for 'stepping in'.
that being said, a teacher would be the 'go to' person for random treats.

:-[ i can see both sides to this argument. its really up to you. one or two students asking for a treat, sure, not a problem. if it's a hard-working student. if it's a slacker, rude, obnoxious rascal, then probably not. use your judgement.

*also note, i have not had student sleepovers at my house, nor have i invited students to my house. it was simply a reference to what kind of 'image' a school-teacher has in the society via. orientation discussion.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• acousticr
  • Expert Waygook

• January 24, 2013, 11:42:50 am
    • Gyeonggi
    more
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 07:29:06 am »
I've had students beg me for candy or ice cream (like I have ice cream in my desk or something  :rolleyes: ) at school, but never outside it. In school, I may reward them if they then show off some English skills or do me a favor, but usually it's a no.
$10 off your first order at iHerb.com with this code: BPC852

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 07:39:59 am »
What was the general tone of the students? Were they all glaring at you in a threatening manner? Was the kid touching you gripping your arm tightly in a way that you wouldn't be able to get away? I honestly find it hard to believe students really threatening their teacher, especially in a public place.

Usually the kids are just playing around with you and trying to get some food out of it. I've had this happen many times. I never give in though -- thats suicide right there. I've also had a student grab my arm before and pull me back, but it was obvious it wasn't meant as anything bad, he just didn't know his strength.