Read 2523 times

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2014, 06:15:03 pm
    • Seattle, WA
Gender Question
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:33:31 pm »
I have been doing my research and hanging out on the forums the last 2 or 3 months trying to figure out how to make living in South Korea work a little better for me. I would like to go to South Korea because I am more familiar with it and the culture before I was on Waygook and now I know it a lot better thanks to reading answers to questions and taking each post and opinion in stride and consideration. The only thing I am having issues with at this point in time is the fact that I identify differently than my birth papers state, and for the most part right now I look as such. I have in the past couple of months tried a few different looks towards my birth gender, but all of them if they are too much that gender set off the depression I was in before I discovered my identity. I have, however found that I can pass as my birth gender if I keep an androgynous/tomboy looks. I am wondering if you are or know of any tomboy-ish (sorry I am not sure I know of any other word) or androgynous NET's that are doing/ did alright over in South Korea? If the answer is no, do you have suggestions as to other countries I could to to and one or more ways that country is similar to South Korea as far as the NET positions go? (Even a name or link to other recruiters works for me.) Thank you.
Treat others how you would like to be treated. Seriously.

• oskinny1
  • Expert Waygook

• November 01, 2010, 10:31:37 am
    • Busan
Re: Gender Question
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:41:44 pm »
Is supplying a birth certificate required documentation? I cannot remember this being needed.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 01:54:47 pm »
Is supplying a birth certificate required documentation? I cannot remember this being needed.

You need that documentation for a passport/visa.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:56:42 pm »
these might help.

Hello! And a quick question about trans* teachers!
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=53227.0

Coming Out (LGBT) Stories
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=58022.0

Should I come out?
http://www.waygook.org/index.php/topic,5916.0.html

LGBTQ & Spiritual?
http://www.waygook.org/index.php?topic=39615.0

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 02:05:46 pm »
Thank you Wintermute for the links. I think I have read a couple of these threads already. I know enough to be in the closet about my sexuality, but because I am so masculine, I worry about that, especially with how people are towards bigger women. I was just hoping there were some tomboyish teachers running around to give South Korea a shot next year after I graduate. In the mean time, I will keep looking for a style that I can pass as my birth sex and be comfortable in my own skin for a year plus. Those links are very helpful. Thanks again.

• Wintermute
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 06, 2011, 01:07:27 pm
    • MURRICA!!!
    more
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 04:22:26 pm »
@magic

I suppose I was mostly responding to this question.

I am wondering if you know of any tomboy-ish or androgynous NET's that are doing/ did alright over in South Korea?

Just like to throw in that I hear both wonders and blunders. I knew a guy who was gay, came out, everyone accepted him, and he even started dating a male teacher at one of his elementary schools. I know another guy who had a crazy hair style that eventually attracted so much negative attention he left the country.

Whether or not you will "do alright" is heavily effected by your school. We can't really say.

For your new post that is looking for tomboy teachers currently in Korea, I recommend facebook groups. Sorry I don't know any that fit what you are looking for.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 04:36:25 pm »
Thanks for the facebook group suggestion. I always forget that as an option, and yet when reading these forums it is often a first or second suggestion. Well as far as my looks and such go, I already get a bunch of stuff for it, which I can handle. It was only the gender thing I knew I would struggle with. I will take a look into waygookin facebook groups to see if I can find someone who would be able to answer this question.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2014, 06:06:07 pm »
I have an androgynous friend (female) who was at first very very defeated by this country. I think by the tenth comparison to Steve Jobs she made up her mind to finish the year and go (among other factors but yeah). Lately she mainly seems to measure things in small victories. Sometimes things are good and sometimes they're bad. Generally it seems like as someone who is kind of more sensitive to comments about appearance it hit harder. I've been called a pig and monkey multiple times since coming here but it's just kids so I don't take it seriously. Sometimes when my co-workers tell me I look like I'm dying (when I am) it kinda stings but it's not one of my buttons. If I were sensitive about my appearance I could see having a hard time of it.

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2014, 07:54:59 pm »
Koreans tend to be very blunt with their observations. Just a heads up.

• magicmumu
  • Adventurer

• Seattle, WA
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2014, 08:58:26 pm »
Gaikoku, thanks for that. I was already slowly fading in my desire to go to South Korea, but I thought I would give it a shot. I know it isn't the same everywhere and that it depends on the area and the school, but if it is going to be that hard just in general then I can't feel much hope for happiness in the one or two years I would be teaching in South Korea.

CanineKimchi - I have been reading through the forums, and I had gotten that impression. I guess I didn't realize how little wiggle room there was. I wanted to do this because it would be an amazing opportunity all around, make some money, pay off debts, learn new cultures, travel, you know the drill. I thought I could find a compromise with this, and I can't. That sucks. Anyway, thanks.

• cosmogony
  • Super Waygook

• November 24, 2010, 07:56:37 pm
    • Busan
« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2014, 09:19:30 pm »
Unfortunately, I do not have anything to add in terms of how things might go for you, but I wanted to share this article with you. Things are changing and people are becoming more accepting of trans people here. I remember reading or hearing somewhere that being transgender and transsexual in Korea is easier than being openly gay.

http://bigstory.ap.org/article/skorea-sex-change-doc-i-correct-gods-mistakes

I also suggest you contact LGBT groups in Korea. There are a few small ones.

Good luck with everything!
http://www.iherb.com Use coupon code fes089 to save $5-$10 on groceries/vitamins/beauty products.

http://earthclinic.com/  Natural Home Remedies