Read 2638 times

Teacher's Workshops
« on: April 07, 2011, 03:16:34 pm »
couldn't find a more appropriate place to post this. being an elementary school, the teachers i work with have pretty low level english, and a lot of the other suggestions just don't work for them. we've decided on a system that might help others out, as well. the goal is just basic conversation, and speaking practice. each week i create a worksheet on a single topic, with vocab, basic questions to get conversation going, and a couple idiomatic phrases they wouldn't find in a dictionary. here's the first (topic is Family).

I release the worksheet on Monday, and on Thursday we meet. this way they have a chance to look up vocab they don't know, prepare for the basic questions, and come up with some basic answers. there is a framework for them and also for me, which helps keep conversation going if it lags.

if this is helpful i'll post more as they are made. please let me know.

• Alxolira
  • Waygookin

• April 20, 2010, 10:06:32 am
    • South Korea
Re: Teacher's Workshops
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2011, 08:24:19 pm »
Those are pretty good ideas here's something i do with my teachers i try and make interesting speaking activities to get them comfortable with speaking infront of each other and me and .... here's a worksheet i did ...there's a whole bunch of shapes put all over the page You can change it to make it easier if you like but what you do is one person gets the page with the shapes and another person has a blank page .....okay soooo the person with the shapes page has to describe the shape with out saying the word or the colour ....for example if the shape is a circle and its blue they should say ......its the shape of an orange and the colour is the same as the ocean or something and its on the top left of the page.... i know it sounds complicated but once you give an example they have quite a bit of fun and at the end the person shows the other person if they drew the exact same thing the explained...which shows them not only that communication is key but also gets their brains thinking in english ......its a little challenging but fun...try it hehehehe or what i did was my elementary school has great math supplies like building blocks and things see if they have and get one group to build some sort of building and tower obviously this should be blocked off so the other group can't see then get the other team to explain how to build the tower / building..... :)

• Alxolira
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2011, 08:26:44 pm »
Another idea.....trust me on this get Jenga and type out a whole bunch of talking points ....e.g I love...... and stick them on the blocks and let them have fun as they try to get each other too make the tower fall its an awesome idea and really fun for them even if they are low level because you have done most of the work for them and started the sentence...etc...hope that helps

• Alxolira
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 08:31:33 pm »
Here is an alibi game which is quite fun i did with teachers its a bit difficult for them at first but once you go to each group and help explain and with the story or questions its awesome for speaking practice.......here it is i took the idea from another site but made a ppt to explain ...whoop whooop hope this helps toooo  ;D
« Last Edit: April 07, 2011, 08:39:35 pm by Alxolira »