Read 109239 times

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #640 on: September 07, 2018, 06:03:38 pm »
The point is, both the United States and Japan are wealthier than Korea yet have cleaner air. By a wide margin.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
Re: RAir pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #641 on: September 07, 2018, 06:06:28 pm »
Yeah, well, Trump won where it counted didn't he?

Yeah, he won the support of Putin who helped get him elected. Great.  :rolleyes:

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #642 on: September 17, 2018, 01:56:48 pm »
The point is, both the United States and Japan are wealthier than Korea yet have cleaner air. By a wide margin.

US has cleaner air because they previously sent their industries to China.  Those low paying service jobs sure are great though.  Korea is catching up to Japan per capita.  Most ordinary Japanese have a very frugal existence.  The majority don't get to work for Japan Inc. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #643 on: September 17, 2018, 01:58:28 pm »

Yeah, he won the support of Putin who helped get him elected. Great.  :rolleyes:

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory.  Putin also told Trump to put on more sanctions, make the economy better, and build up the US military.  Well done, Putin. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #644 on: September 20, 2018, 01:10:53 pm »
https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2018/09/steven-mnuchin-russia-sanctions

Putin did help Trump beat Clinton. It's not a make believe conspiracy.

For years, Bitcoin believers have tried to distance the digital coin from the perception that it’s only used for criminal activity. New insights into Russian meddling in the U.S. election aren’t helping.

Bitcoin was the currency of choice among the Russian intelligence officers indicted for hacking offenses related to the 2016 presidential campaign, the U.S. said Friday. The conspirators primarily used the virtual coins when buying servers, registering domains and making other payments related to the cyber breaches, according to the indictment. Many of the transactions were processed by U.S. companies.

“To facilitate the purchase of infrastructure used in their hacking activity -- including hacking into the computers of U.S. persons and entities involved in the 2016 U.S. presidential election and releasing the stolen documents -- the defendants conspired to launder the equivalent of more than $95,000 through a web of transactions structured to capitalize on the perceived anonymity of cryptocurrencies such as Bitcoin,” the U.S. said.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2018-07-13/bitcoin-was-russian-hackers-currency-of-choice-u-s-says

“The use of Bitcoin allowed the conspirators to avoid direct relationships with traditional financial institutions, allowing them to evade greater scrutiny of their identities and sources of funds,” the U.S. said.

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #645 on: September 20, 2018, 01:33:22 pm »

Nothing like a good conspiracy theory.  Putin also told Trump to put on more sanctions, make the economy better, and build up the US military.  Well done, Putin.
Weren't you defending Alex Jones in another thread?
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #646 on: September 20, 2018, 01:40:09 pm »
Yes, hangook77 is an Alex Jones fan. :cry:

« Reply #647 on: September 20, 2018, 07:55:43 pm »

Weren't you defending Alex Jones in another thread?

hahahaha
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #648 on: September 21, 2018, 08:02:18 am »

I was actually defending free speech.  As for Jones, some things I agree with and some things I don't. 

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #649 on: September 21, 2018, 08:11:56 am »

I was actually defending free speech.  As for Jones, some things I agree with and some things I don't.

"Jones has good issues on both sides?"

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #650 on: November 06, 2018, 04:17:09 pm »
GGGI chief says Korea should aim higher, pursue 100 percent renewable energy

“South Korea has seen a very rapid growth of its economy and the government developed (coal-fired) power plants and nuclear power plants to give everybody energy. But as a result, Korea has the lowest share of renewable energy and highest air pollution among the OECD nations,”

The United Kingdom was burning coal for almost 50 percent of its energy consumption in 2008, but its government announced it would stop building coal-fired power plants. Since that time, the UK has gone from 49 to 9 percent coal usage in 10 years. Last year, the UK had the first day when it did not burn any coal

On the longstanding dispute here over whether South Korea should continue to use nuclear power, Rijsberman said the ultimate solution would be to get rid of both coal and nuclear energy.

There are enough renewable energy potentials in both the South and North Koreas to replace the energy source 100 percent to renewable energy

“We should not forget that the US government played an important role in reaching the Paris agreement, bringing the Chinese government to the table,” Rijsberman said.

“China is staying. They invest in renewables and close (coal-fired) power plants to get blue skies. People in Beijing are fed up with air pollution. They want to breathe and stop having sick kids.

“Another reason (why China remains in the Paris agreement) is because renewable energy is cheaper, and that was not even true when the agreement was signed.”

The next goal for GGGI, he added, is to reduce the information gap to help people realize that the economics have changed -- that renewable energy is not expensive anymore

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20181105000874

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #651 on: November 06, 2018, 04:26:09 pm »
Focusing on "renewable" energy is misplaced.

If you realty want to fight air pollution, you need to look at conservation and nuclear.

• sbk
  • Veteran

• March 22, 2016, 02:44:47 pm
    • seoul
« Reply #652 on: November 08, 2018, 08:15:50 am »
I got the government text message to reduce the usage of old diesel cars. Is anyone like me and can't stand the smell of diesel exhaust? Have you ever walked by a construction site and smelled the fumes coming from it? The smell is so strong. There must be a lot of pollution coming from construction equipment. I read where they don't have the same anti pollution requirements for construction equipment. 

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #653 on: November 28, 2018, 03:24:09 am »
... Is anyone like me and can't stand the smell of diesel exhaust?
I couldn't stand the smell of diesel. But then in 2009 I bought a Korando jeep with a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine and I enjoy whiffing the exhaust nowadays! I constantly reflect on the negative effects, as there are plenty of research studies. But, oh well.

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #654 on: November 28, 2018, 08:02:19 am »
I couldn't stand the smell of diesel. But then in 2009 I bought a Korando jeep with a Mercedes-Benz diesel engine and I enjoy whiffing the exhaust nowadays! I constantly reflect on the negative effects, as there are plenty of research studies. But, oh well.

Wait, you bought a Korando?

To be clear, nothing malicious, I just get a laugh at how you manage to work that vehicle into so many posts.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #655 on: November 28, 2018, 08:51:11 am »

Wait, you bought a Korando?

To be clear, nothing malicious, I just get a laugh at how you manage to work that vehicle into so many posts.

Perhaps we should change his forum post rank to “Korando Driver”.

« Reply #656 on: November 29, 2018, 04:48:24 am »
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/11/371_259502.html

Horrible 3rd world smog Fine dust likely to remain deadly throughout winter

Don't worry, Korea's ready to make money off your misery!

http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/tech/2018/11/694_259501.html
Anti-pollution products in high demand amid war on fine dust

Who was that guy who insisted that Korea's air quality was better than Japan's? LOL.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #657 on: November 29, 2018, 07:17:35 am »
Yesterday I gave a quick lesson on how to wear a mask properly. My new co-teacher didn't even know about adjusting the nose band. The air here was terrible, but between classes she kept opening the windows to "clean the air in the classroom"?

I'm genuinely surprised there isn't more public outcry from Korean parents. They care so much about their children's well-being, but remain kind of silent on this issue. Haven't seen any protests at least.

« Reply #658 on: November 29, 2018, 07:39:33 am »
For the first time ever since living here, I think the air might be affecting me.  I've had a sore throat and stuffy nose for a few days which doesn't seem to be a cold.

Might have to start wearing a mask then  :-[

« Reply #659 on: November 29, 2018, 07:42:37 am »
Fine dust level was almost 300 earlier this week. :(