Read 109255 times

Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #480 on: March 28, 2018, 12:22:22 pm »
Take this with a pinch of salt:

During my years in SK, I can only attribute getting sick as a result of air pollution, once. I'm of the crazy belief that the human body has a more than capable immune system, if you treat it correctly.
During the past 2yrs, I've been training outdoors 3 days a week (athletics track) for about an hour, then heading to the gym to lift weights for about 30min. Sundays are rest and the other 3 days are usually light training.
I drink copious amounts of water, half my lunch and supper plate is vegetables, the other is lean meat, some fats and starch carbs when necessary. Fast food maybe twice a year. Don't drink and don't smoke.

Maybe there are some long term effects brewing beneath the surface, but I've yet to notice anything.

The air pollution in South Korea is way above normal... so, how about getting your immune system to be just as badass?

I agree, people can mitigate SOME of the side effects of pollution by living a healthy and active lifestyle... BUT, a healthy and active lifestyle won't prevent damage. It can help you heal more quickly, but think of it this way:

If you get a third-degree burn, the damage is done. Your immune system can help you to heal and recover faster from that burn, and it may even help to minimize the scarring left behind, but you're still going to scar, and that damage is permanent. A healthy immune system won't prevent you from getting burned, and there's only so much it can do against extensive damage.

Breathing in pollutants damages the lung, and what goes into the lungs also enters your blood stream and runs through your other organs. Lung tissue is also incredibly delicate and easily damaged, and damage done to the lungs is 100% permanent. There's no undoing it. This is why you can have people who quit smoking 20 years back still develop lung cancer or celia paralysis later on down the road.

Basically, living a healthy lifestyle doesn't counteract or neutralize poison. It lowers your risks for certain health problems. It can help minimize damage and provide for a speedier recovery. But poison is still poison, and no amount of healthy eating or exercise will neutralize it. It's all about degrees, from how much of it you're exposed to at a time to how long of a period of time. The best thing you can do is to avoid it as much as possible.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2018, 12:32:17 pm by Chinguetti »

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #481 on: March 28, 2018, 12:32:05 pm »
Yeah, just as a good immune system won't help you if I punch you in the face, it doesn't solve the ill, long term effects of air pollution.

In fact, a good immune system is what causes the eventual problem. The 2.5 partiulate matter settles in your lungs and blood vessels around your heart and the body tries to get rid of it through an inflammatory immune reaction. But it can't get rid of it. So people expereince constant inflammation of the lungs etc.

It's like some jackass in the their 30s saying "Well I smoke everyday, but I'm pretty healthy otherwise. And, like, I can't see any adverse effects!" Just wait. This shit is going to catch up with a lot of people in their 50s-60s onwards.

Most teachers here won't have an issue. The majority do 1-2 year stints. But when you are getting into the 5-10 years or more here, it is something to think about.
Kpip! - Martin 2018

• kiwikimchi
  • Expert Waygook

• December 27, 2010, 10:15:31 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #482 on: March 28, 2018, 12:34:34 pm »
Take this with a pinch of salt:

During my years in SK, I can only attribute getting sick as a result of air pollution, once. I'm of the crazy belief that the human body has a more than capable immune system, if you treat it correctly.
During the past 2yrs, I've been training outdoors 3 days a week (athletics track) for about an hour, then heading to the gym to lift weights for about 30min. Sundays are rest and the other 3 days are usually light training.
I drink copious amounts of water, half my lunch and supper plate is vegetables, the other is lean meat, some fats and starch carbs when necessary. Fast food maybe twice a year. Don't drink and don't smoke.

Maybe there are some long term effects brewing beneath the surface, but I've yet to notice anything.

The air pollution in South Korea is way above normal... so, how about getting your immune system to be just as badass?

GIANT pinch. Having an exceptional immune stystem and living cleanly isn't going to do a damn thing to protect you from the numerous human carcinogens you inhale when the air pollution is bad. There are heavy metals that once inhaled are impossible for the body to emiminate. In small and frequent exposure these accumulate and that is the cause of many cancers and other serious health issues over time.

Masks aren't 100% effective but a good qualty one does protect you.

The truth is some people are lazy, ignorant, have no regard for their health or have their head in the sand about this issue.  Chinguetti listed several links to show that air pollution here shouldn't be taken lightly.

poi·son·ous
ˈadjective
(of a substance or plant) causing or capable of causing death or illness if taken into the body.
"poisonous chemicals"
synonyms: toxic, noxious, deadly, fatal, lethal, mortal, death-dealing
"a poisonous chemical"

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 14, 2017, 09:10:12 am
    • Near Busan
« Reply #483 on: March 28, 2018, 12:38:31 pm »
A friend sent me this, this morning. 

• zola
  • The Legend

• September 30, 2012, 06:56:11 am
    • Korea
« Reply #484 on: March 28, 2018, 12:39:26 pm »
A friend sent me this, this morning.

Holy shit
Kpip! - Martin 2018

« Reply #485 on: March 28, 2018, 12:43:09 pm »
Yeah. In Beijing it is "off the charts" right now.

However as I said before this is the sandstorm containing mainly pm 10. These are bigger particles.

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #486 on: March 28, 2018, 12:48:24 pm »
March into April is bad every year.  But we did have warm and blue sky days earlier this month which I thought was unusual for March.  We also had many days that were good in Jan and Feb, though we also had crap days too.  After cherry blossoms, it will be better with some crap days mixed in.  One of the problems is the weather is too warm for this time of year.  Shouldn't be in the 20's Celcius yet.  If we get cooler days or rainy days, expecially around Cherry Blossoms, it should be better.  However, until late April or early May, sometimes, it can be bad or have mixed days.  Last year was the worst I ever remember going into May, even.  Trying to cycle in that. 

Let's take up religion and pray the winds blow back to China or high into the atmosphere or something.  (I still believe most of it is from China, yellow dust, warm air trapping it in the lower atmosphere and floating around in a circle.  Korea can do it's part however.  Natural gas and nuclear, while gradually cleaning up those old diesel trucks.  Just as much pollution was being spit out in January, but cold dry air let's it drift up into the upper atmosphere and blow away.  Now, the dust, heat, and fog (warm and cool) trap it all in the lower atmosphere.) 

Long term forecast, checking the weather.  Cooler rainier days late next week or following weekend?  Can change that far out.  Anyways, it will prob suck for the next several days - good chance anyways. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #487 on: March 28, 2018, 12:58:53 pm »
Anyways fine dust asides it doesnt seem so bad now compared to China.http://www.tenki.jp/lite/particulate_matter/

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #488 on: March 28, 2018, 04:45:12 pm »

On masks:

I have done quite a bit of work in the OH&S world.

All of my training tells me that masks should be properly fitted, and filters changed frequently, otherwise don't even bother. It might mitigate it a little but, but really not enough.

The mask-wearing I see in Korea is a waste of effort.

Perhaps 20 minutes is a bit of an exaggeration, but I stand by my premiss that the mask-wearing I see in Korea is a waste of effort.

There are a few people with proper kit - more than last year. I would like to think that they are using it properly, but I doubt most of them are because people are people.

The paper medical masks and the cloth nose-warmers are the norm.

• Aristocrat
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 10, 2014, 01:04:27 pm
« Reply #489 on: April 09, 2018, 01:53:01 pm »
SEOUL, South Korea — South Korea’s rapidly worsening air pollution has forced the country’s professional baseball league to postpone three games.

https://nypost.com/2018/04/06/south-korea-baseball-league-postpones-games-for-pollution/

South Korea in recent years has been experiencing an acute rise in air pollution that experts link to emissions from the country’s increasing number of cars and also to China’s massive industrial activity.

In a meeting with top Chinese diplomat Yang Jiechi last week, South Korean President Moon Jae-in said China was partially responsible for South Korea’s pollution problem and called for Beijing’s cooperation in Seoul’s efforts to improve air quality

Never heard of something like this happening before. That means Koreans are increasingly becoming aware / acknowledging / becoming concerned / taking concrete action.

I wouldn't hold my breath, so to speak.

What it really means is that Koreans are more susceptible to the nationalist propaganda BS than ever.

South Korea heavily relies on their own coal plants to power the country, just like China. The more the Korean government can shift the blame and responsibility to China, the less criticism they face. 

• hangook77
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• Near Busan
« Reply #490 on: April 09, 2018, 07:35:33 pm »
Korea has some responsibility, but so does China.  One only need look at a large brown cloud in some pictures circulating over NE Asia.  Japan is further away so it can be somewhat more immune, especially, the further north you go.  Japan also has the right wind speeds in the right directions, etc.  Korea seems to have more stagnant air with less winds sometimes.  It just seems to stay trapped locally and circulate around from China to Korea and back.  Korea can do it's part with regards to coal plants using nuclear and natural gas instead.  It can also crack down more on diesel trucks, etc. But, will it or just do things for show? 

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #491 on: April 28, 2018, 10:26:44 am »
The number of people venting online that they want to move abroad because of fine dust has grown tenfold in the past two years. We’ve heard these cries before. “Is this a country?” they ask.

http://koreajoongangdaily.joins.com/news/article/article.aspx?aid=3046723

Why hesitate when it is a national disaster? What’s more important than North Korea’s nuclear threats and constitutional reform is the fine dust that is murdering people today.

glad some people are calling out the absurdity that is the plan of action that the government has

it bothers me driving past the protests in seoul that are about sewol, when (like this article) there is another massive tragedy happening right now due to apathy.

• Cyanea
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 04, 2016, 01:48:24 pm
    • Las Vegas
« Reply #492 on: April 28, 2018, 05:24:34 pm »
South Korea heavily relies on their own coal plants to power the country, just like China. The more the Korean government can shift the blame and responsibility to China, the less criticism they face.

From 2005 to 2014, South Korea’s gas-fired power plants increased their output from 58,000 to 111,700 gigawatt hours, while coal-fired powered plants also increased from 134,900 to 203,800 gigawatt hours.

http://www.scmp.com/week-asia/politics/article/2087447/china-blame-koreas-pollution-really
South Korea now has 53 coal power plants, the Financial Times reported last month. From 2005 to 2015, capacity rose from 17 to about 26 million kilowatts, then last year it spiked to 35 million kilowatts.
Catch my drift?

• sh9wntm
  • Veteran

• February 23, 2018, 03:23:39 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #493 on: April 28, 2018, 06:30:35 pm »
I'm out after this year. I knew Korea had a problem but it's just as bad as China, and I'm in Jeju. All day the AQI has been above 150. A few weekends ago, I was outside all day,  I got really dizzy and almost fainted. Turns out the AQI hit past 200 that day.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #494 on: April 28, 2018, 06:34:27 pm »
Are the pollution levels any lower on the East coast of South Korea?

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #495 on: April 29, 2018, 12:46:25 am »
I studied the air pollution levels prior to coming here in 2002 and the southeast coast gets a a lot more Pacific ocean systems, pushing the mainland air systems east by northeast. The best air was on the south coast of Jeju and the next best air was Geoje off the southeast coast. I chose Okpo, a community on the southeast coast of Geoje and the air was great most of the time. A few years later (2006) I took a job in Hadong for three years because it was only Monday to Thursday from 3pm to 7pm for 2.3 mill. The air from local stubble burning choked that farming valley in the spring so very much. Ugh. But I finally decided on the best air city of Seogwipo on the southern coast of Jeju for the next 7 years.

There are SO MANY jobs that you can afford to be picky and work in the region/city you want to work in. Yeah, it may take more time and effort, but it's worth it. I flew to Jeju and met the director and teachers prior to signing there despite the city and apartment being dope! I wanted to make sure everything was good. Take your time, invest money, time patience and diligence to get the best situation for you, and trust your spidey sense, your gut.

If you want the best air then move to Auckland or Vancouver. But if air quality is important but not the end all and be all, if you want a Korean ESL position but want to MINIMIZE air pollution, then the southeast coast of the mainland (Geoje, Tongyeong, maybe Changwon, Jinhae) as well as Jeju (Seogwipo clearly much better than Jeju City, not only for weather systems but airport ambient air pollution) are your best bet.

Coastal communities like Yeosu and Wando I haven't studied in detail but on my trips there have enjoyed sea breezes.

« Reply #496 on: April 29, 2018, 03:46:53 am »

If you look at the pollution maps regularly, it usually seems like the Gangneung area has some of the lowest pollution levels on the mainland.

Further down the coast are Ulsan and Pohang which have terrible air quality, and Busan is pretty bad too.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #497 on: April 29, 2018, 03:58:59 am »
Busan registers worst dust pollution in South Korea
http://www.koreatimes.co.kr/www/nation/2018/04/371_247666.html

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #498 on: April 29, 2018, 04:07:17 am »
Even Gangneung is not immune from bad air.

• VanIslander
  • Moderator LVL 1

• June 02, 2011, 10:12:19 am
    • Seogwipo, Jeju Island
    more
« Reply #499 on: April 29, 2018, 04:23:03 am »
Busan is MOST OFTEN better than Seoul in air pollution.

Of course, not always.

Gawd, a single day of pollution reporting is INANE. :blank:

But then again, some people base their life decisions off of individual experiences they have had, not reflective decisions of considered evidence. The human condition it is, for the most part.