Read 109230 times

• JNM
  • The Legend

• January 19, 2015, 10:16:48 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #400 on: February 09, 2018, 03:44:34 pm »
I was driving along the north side of the Han river today and looked up from the road to get my bearings.  I could not see Lotte Tower.

• macteacher
  • Expert Waygook

• September 03, 2012, 09:59:00 am
    • south korea
« Reply #401 on: February 09, 2018, 03:52:19 pm »
Just in time for the Olympics...Korea Sparkling!

good i hope there's some shaming involved to get this country serious about the situation

« Reply #402 on: February 09, 2018, 11:51:10 pm »
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #403 on: February 19, 2018, 05:45:21 am »
I taught in China, Korea and Taiwan. In Korea I lived in Busan and Changwon. I never thought the pollution was bad in those places. I thought it was much better than the other places I lived in in Taiwan (Tainan and Taichung) and China (Shanghai).
Who is ESLinsider?

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• December 19, 2016, 02:17:24 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #404 on: February 19, 2018, 09:01:10 am »
I taught in China (Weihai) for three years, and now going on 4 years in Korea (North Gyeongsang, Seoul, Gwangju). The pollution in China was definitely worse overall than here in the sense that you can actually smell the pollution.

However, I lived in one of the top ten cleanest cities in the whole country, and the air quality there puts Korea's cleanest air to shame except maybe Busan's--I would assume that since Busan and Weihai are both coastal cities, the breezes from the ocean blow away most of the pollution. Additionally, Weihai is smaller and doesn't have a lot of factories.

When I lived in Gyeongsang province, I didn't notice much pollution but that was years ago. Pollution has gotten bad nationwide in recent years. Seoul it was ok on the weekends but most of the time during the week when I lived there it was either yellow or red. It's been the same story here in Gwangju and I don't even live in the city limits.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #405 on: February 19, 2018, 10:39:27 am »
the air quality there puts Korea's cleanest air to shame except maybe Busan's--I would assume that since Busan and Weihai are both coastal cities, the breezes from the ocean blow away most of the pollution.

Busan AQI : 167 : Unhealthy

https://aqicn.org/city/busan

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #406 on: February 19, 2018, 12:22:40 pm »
Well, then the whole country is suffering from pollution. I've never witnessed pollution in Busan in person but I do get the AQI on my phone via AirVisual. Still not nearly as bad as China's overall (which turns to a dark red or even purple color), with the exception of the top ten. Weihai only experiences extreme pollution in the winter when the government turns on the heat. January is usually the worst as it's usually the coldest. The worst summer days put the city in the yellow.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #407 on: February 19, 2018, 05:20:18 pm »
S. Korea's coal-fired power generation hits record high levels in 2017
http://english.yonhapnews.co.kr/news/2018/02/18/0200000000AEN20180218002500320.html

« Reply #408 on: February 19, 2018, 08:19:59 pm »
I've been to Busan probably 15 to 20 times over the last 5 years...it's usually pretty hazy and sometimes downright grim. Not as bad as Seoul, but not great. The sea breezes definitely don't blow away the smog there.

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #409 on: February 20, 2018, 08:15:14 am »
It was fine when I lived in Korea the first time and even during a visit I made in 2015. But like I said, the pollution is bad everywhere now. I didn't know Gwangju could get so bad, living down the street from three or four factories (despite living nowhere near the downtown area) should have been a clue that it could be bad here.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #410 on: February 20, 2018, 08:44:31 am »
Look at this:

https://aqicn.org/map/southkorea#@g/35.989/121.7999/7z

China is actually playing an enormous role in the air pollution over Korea. Though Korea- including North Korea- is making a ton of toxins we beathe.

Look on a world map. The only region consistantly putting out 999 readings is the area of China, incidentally the closest to South Korea.

Maybe in that particular province air standards are more lax? Or the most polluting factories were put near the coast to be further away from a lot of the mainland population?

Huge problem. Some of the haze is going all the way to California. But Korea bears the brunt of it, Japan to a lesser degree, etc.

Could the Korean govenment threaten to trade less with China unless good filters are put on factory smokestacks? Or maybe offer to pay for them? (Perhaps half?) It'd be worth it for better air. The whole world would benefit.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #411 on: February 20, 2018, 09:04:38 am »
Look at this:

https://aqicn.org/map/southkorea#@g/35.989/121.7999/7z

China is actually playing an enormous role in the air pollution over Korea. Though Korea- including North Korea- is making a ton of toxins we beathe.

Look on a world map. The only region consistantly putting out 999 readings is the area of China, incidentally the closest to South Korea.

Maybe in that particular province air standards are more lax? Or the most polluting factories were put near the coast to be further away from a lot of the mainland population?

Huge problem. Some of the haze is going all the way to California. But Korea bears the brunt of it, Japan to a lesser degree, etc.

Could the Korean govenment threaten to trade less with China unless good filters are put on factory smokestacks? Or maybe offer to pay for them? (Perhaps half?) It'd be worth it for better air. The whole world would benefit.

Korea isnít important enough to China to demand anything!

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #412 on: February 20, 2018, 09:11:59 am »
South Korea's a rich country, man. One of the largest economies on earth.

• hamid62
  • Adventurer

• Seoul
« Reply #413 on: February 20, 2018, 09:22:00 am »
Yeah, that's Shandong Province where I used to live. That small city right at the very tip is Weihai which (usually) doesn't have pollution as bad as the rest of the country except in winter. In northern China, the government of each city literally controls when the heat comes on and goes off in your apartment--you can't regulate it AT ALL. This is true even in big chain hotels such as the Marriott. everything north of the Hangzhou River is considered "north". The floor heating is powered by electricity, and the electric companies rely on lots of coal to power their machines and whatnot. Shandong's population is nearly double that of South Korea's. They have two major metro cities (Qingdao and Jinan) that are still undergoing construction. Basically, Shandong is trying to catch up with the rest of the country in terms of technology =/ It only just got access to the hi-speed rail a few years ago.

But to give you all an idea of how clean Weihai can be, take a look at these videos. The last video is mine but the others have better scenery as the vloggers used drones to catch scenery:
(Meet Weihai) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y1wfI5NklBM
(Welcome to Weihai) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ORXMlgZcV_c
(Ven conmigo) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms0WthDLc3w

« Reply #414 on: February 20, 2018, 11:59:49 am »

Look at how quickly South Korea folded when China exploited its citizens to do "Oori Nara"-style anti-Korean campaigns against Korean products and group tours to Seoul. Chinese people were recording themselves vandalizing Choco Pie boxes, Chinese kindergarteners were recorded in propaganda videos screaming "I hate Korea" and yelling that they would never buy any Korean products, and Lotte Marts all over China closed down. South Korea folded faster than origami and gave up their sovereign right to self-defense. OVER CHOCO PIES, WHICH AREN'T EVEN VERY DELICIOUS.

China will never listen to Koreans about anything, especially not pollution. And Koreans continuing to blame China for all the pollution when over half of it comes from Koreans means that Koreans will never have to do anything about their own pollution.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #415 on: February 20, 2018, 12:44:26 pm »

South Korea's GDP is 11th in the world.

Source: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_GDP_(nominal)

China is 2nd, with an order of magnitude separating them.

China doesn't "need" anything from South Korea (or anybody else for that matter).

If you mean GDP per capita, that doesn't work so well either.  Canada is marginally ahead of South Korea on the previous charts in 10th place, with about half the population.

« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 12:50:47 pm by JNM »

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #416 on: February 20, 2018, 12:53:27 pm »

Out of 200 countries. So way towards the top. China buys from South Korea. South Korea buys from China. They are important to each other for sure. (In close proximity, etc.)

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #417 on: February 20, 2018, 12:58:31 pm »
Canada is marginally ahead of South Korea on the previous charts in 10th place, with about half the population.

Well, 3/4 the population. (73%)

But Canada's a rich country, too. Roughly 95th percentile is what we're talking about for South Korea and Canada.

• JNM
  • The Legend

• Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #418 on: February 20, 2018, 01:01:10 pm »

Out of 200 countries. So way towards the top. China buys from South Korea. South Korea buys from China. They are important to each other for sure. (In close proximity, etc.)

China needs Korea the way I need a pair of socks.

If Korea refuses to do business, there are other acceptable socks in China's drawer.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #419 on: February 20, 2018, 02:24:27 pm »
total trade between the two nations surpassed US$300 billion in 2014.

That's a hell of a lot of money.

Not "a pair of socks" so to speak.