Read 109234 times

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #320 on: May 16, 2017, 09:25:23 am »
Korea to shut old coal-fired power plants to fight air pollution

Cheong Wa Dae expects halting operations of eight plants will reduce the generation of fine dust by 1 to 2 percent.

Anyone from 은정초 on this site?^^
Under the plan, eight of 10 plants which were established 30 years ago and earlier will stop operations for the month of June. Starting from next year, the 10 plants will be shut down from March to June.

The 10 plants will be permanently shut down within Moon’s term.
Should we expect a return to government mandates limiting air conditioning use?

A lot more people are running air-purifiers right now. By summer, they will be running alongside the air conditioners compounding energy use. Will be interesting to see how this new government will manage energy production and consumer usage.

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #321 on: May 16, 2017, 09:50:36 am »
Under the plan, eight of 10 plants which were established 30 years ago and earlier will stop operations for the month of June. Starting from next year, the 10 plants will be shut down from March to June.
A lot more people are running air-purifiers right now. By summer, they will be running alongside the air conditioners compounding energy use. Will be interesting to see how this new government will manage energy production and consumer usage.
Not to worry. There are plans to build 11 bituminous coal power plants of over 1,000 MW (6 under construction, 5 still in planning phase) to replace the ones they're shutting down.

Really, while they are shutting down a few, the amount of energy being derived from coal is going to increase over the next couple of years. Hopefully the new plants will be cleaner but given how profits seem to be the major motivator, I'm not holding my breath... or rather, I will be, especially when I'm outside.  :sad:
« Last Edit: May 16, 2017, 09:54:56 am by kyndo »

« Reply #322 on: May 17, 2017, 09:28:05 am »
Tanking your manufacturing industry will tend to do that.

That's a myth. It's possible to have clean air and a prosperous economy. The U.S. is one example of this. Richest country in human history yet great air- far better than the world average.

The value added by U.S. factories is more than $2 trillion a year.

http://www.marketwatch.com/story/us-manufacturing-dead-output-has-doubled-in-three-decades-2016-03-28

Technology and new ways of organizing work have revolutionized the American factory. Today, U.S. factories produce twice as much stuff as they did in 1984, but with one-third fewer workers.

Prosperous for some in the big cities (and even there given the rip off housing prices).  How many unemployed working class people switched their vote to Trump again?
New research shows that Trump voters were more concerned with the loss of "American culture" than with the economy. They were upset that "the times they are a-changin.'"

If this were true, they wouldn't have voted for Obama in 2008 and 2012.  At least the working class, blue collar workers wouldn't have.  Think those rust belt states that no one has done anything for and they flipped Republican for the first time since the 1980's.

« Reply #323 on: May 17, 2017, 09:30:11 am »
Air is good nowadays.  This is what is suppose to be typical in May.  Got a pick of a ride a couple of days ago. 

As for air quality, more natural gas and nuclear plants are needed.  Even some lefties advocate for nuclear to clean the air, apparently.  (I said SOME.)

« Reply #324 on: May 17, 2017, 09:53:24 am »
Not to worry. There are plans to build 11 bituminous coal power plants of over 1,000 MW (6 under construction, 5 still in planning phase) to replace the ones they're shutting down.

Really, while they are shutting down a few, the amount of energy being derived from coal is going to increase over the next couple of years. Hopefully the new plants will be cleaner but given how profits seem to be the major motivator, I'm not holding my breath... or rather, I will be, especially when I'm outside.  :sad:

Perhaps that's why they're only expecting a 1~2% reduction in fine dust.

Dono-van the man, how's the mask working out? Does it impede your breathing?

Sorry, I didn't see this immediately.  I actually have yet to use the mask  :undecided:. When the air was especially bad I didn't go out much, and when I did it was with my wife, whom I wouldn't want to embarrass by making her walk around with a Fallout character, and we just wore standard disposable masks together. The real victory is convincing her that masks are worth wearing!

But when trying it on at the shop, it was surprisingly easy to breathe. There's an exhaust valve, but I thought it might be difficult to get a good, deep breath in. That might not hold true if I tried to take it on a run or extensive bike ride.

I'd like to try to rig air filters to something like a scuba respirator, where you would put it in your mouth and secure it like a mouth guard between your teeth.  Something that would protect one's lungs from fine dust, without it resting on one's face. I still get pimples and I think that would be less irritating for my skin.

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #325 on: September 20, 2017, 05:43:19 pm »
Coal currently makes up about 40 percent of South Korea’s power generation and nuclear about 30 percent, meaning that a shift away from those two will require massive investment in gas-fired plants, as well as wind, solar and hydro.

Newly-elected President Moon Jae-in wants renewables to generate some 20 percent of the nation’s power by 2030, up from 5 percent now.

The draft paper was light on details, but did include plans to close seven old coal-fired plants by 2022, and halt construction of new coal and nuclear generators.

Using LNG to fire electricity is about 40 percent more expensive in South Korea than coal or nuclear fuel, given that it faces import taxes that aren’t levied on the other two.

Removing the tariff on LNG imports would go some way towards making it more competitive with coal, but it appears that much of the move to cleaner power in South Korea is driven more by public concerns over pollution and safety, rather than cost.

https://www.reuters.com/article/column-russell-lng-asia/column-south-korea-pivot-to-lng-drives-nail-in-coals-coffin-russell-idUSL4N1LO1WB

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #326 on: September 20, 2017, 05:50:15 pm »
Coal currently makes up about 40 percent of South Korea’s power generation and nuclear about 30 percent, meaning that a shift away from those two will require massive investment in gas-fired plants, as well as wind, solar and hydro.

Newly-elected President Moon Jae-in wants renewables to generate some 20 percent of the nation’s power by 2030, up from 5 percent now.

The draft paper was light on details, but did include plans to close seven old coal-fired plants by 2022, and halt construction of new coal and nuclear generators.

Using LNG to fire electricity is about 40 percent more expensive in South Korea than coal or nuclear fuel, given that it faces import taxes that aren’t levied on the other two.

Removing the tariff on LNG imports would go some way towards making it more competitive with coal, but it appears that much of the move to cleaner power in South Korea is driven more by public concerns over pollution and safety, rather than cost.

https://www.reuters.com/article/column-russell-lng-asia/column-south-korea-pivot-to-lng-drives-nail-in-coals-coffin-russell-idUSL4N1LO1WB
Plus importing natural gas from the US helps with the trade imbalance.

But it's hard not to think that much of moon's plans are merely pie in the sky.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #327 on: September 20, 2017, 05:52:45 pm »
This is why tariffs are bad. Incentivizing Korea to use coal. Awful.  :cry:

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #328 on: September 20, 2017, 07:23:35 pm »
This is why tariffs are bad. Incentivizing Korea to use coal. Awful.  :cry:
The could do a lot more regarding green energy but most of the investment, energy and research goes into things they can sell overseas.

Koreans suffer, but on the peninsula, money YELL talks.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #329 on: September 24, 2017, 10:26:56 am »
S. Korea Has Highest Density of Ultra Fine Dust Among OECD Countries
http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Dm_detail.htm?No=130280

« Reply #330 on: September 24, 2017, 02:41:23 pm »
S. Korea Has Highest Density of Ultra Fine Dust Among OECD Countries
http://world.kbs.co.kr/english/news/news_Dm_detail.htm?No=130280

Typical foreigners refusing to understand the unique situation!
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

« Reply #331 on: September 24, 2017, 07:56:41 pm »
Days with a mix of humidity and hot and cold air masses create a fog like condition high in the sky that traps in the air pollution from Korea and China more.  Check the weather right now.  High humidity and high dew point.  Plus cool at night and hot in the day time traps in the bad air instead of letting it float away.  By the middle of next week it should be gone for a while.  May be back briefly in November.  Most days should be clean until February and from then until April to May due to fluctuating weather.  Late winter through spring is always the worst here. 

« Reply #332 on: October 01, 2017, 06:01:32 pm »
See?  I was right.  Good weather for now.  Bad air could return later on and off though.  But now should be good.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #333 on: October 11, 2017, 05:16:39 pm »
Good days per year:

Los Angeles: 348
New York: 323
Seoul: 45
Beijing: 43
Shanghai: 27

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/10/10/552264719/armed-with-nasa-data-south-korea-confronts-its-choking-smog

South Korea faces a chronic dirty air problem that makes it one of the most polluted countries in the world. It's common to hear that neighboring China is to blame, but a joint study by NASA and the Korean government has found there's a lot South Korea can do on its own to cut the smog.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #334 on: October 11, 2017, 07:31:16 pm »
Good days per year:

Los Angeles: 348
New York: 323
Seoul: 45
Beijing: 43
Shanghai: 27

http://www.npr.org/sections/parallels/2017/10/10/552264719/armed-with-nasa-data-south-korea-confronts-its-choking-smog

South Korea faces a chronic dirty air problem that makes it one of the most polluted countries in the world. It's common to hear that neighboring China is to blame, but a joint study by NASA and the Korean government has found there's a lot South Korea can do on its own to cut the smog.
That graph paints a sobering picture regarding air quality in seoul. How long before masks are considered necessary for good health?

« Reply #335 on: October 12, 2017, 09:04:17 am »
I'm curious to see the data for 2017 since the new president was elected. There were a lot of nice days since May.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #336 on: November 11, 2017, 09:51:31 am »
Historically, summer is better than winter and spring.

Air quality has been bad in South Korea in winter due to pollution from household heating in the country and China.

http://m.koreatimes.co.kr/phone/news/view.jsp?req_newsidx=238949

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #337 on: November 11, 2017, 10:02:33 am »
I think the kids coughing is just a cold.  For them, it's still cold and their bodies catch a cold.  Nothing more.

USA:
"The level of atmospheric PM2.5 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 10.7 micrograms per cubic meter, lower than the OECD average."
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/united-states/

Korea:
"The level of atmospheric PM2.5 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 29.1 micrograms per cubic meter, the highest level in the OECD."
http://www.oecdbetterlifeindex.org/countries/korea/

« Reply #338 on: November 11, 2017, 10:25:34 am »
I think the kids coughing is just a cold.  For them, it's still cold and their bodies catch a cold.  Nothing more.

USA:
"The level of atmospheric PM2.5 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 10.7 micrograms per cubic meter, lower than the OECD average."

Korea:
"The level of atmospheric PM2.5 – tiny air pollutant particles small enough to enter and cause damage to the lungs – is 29.1 micrograms per cubic meter, the highest level in the OECD."

No, it's been 100 to 180 for the last week, so bad that the "fog" (smog) caused Herr Trump to cancel his super-secret Korean-style last minute trip to the DMZ.

On a good day the 2.5 is like 80 or so, "green" days where it's lower than 50 or 60 are very rare.

I think the summer was clearer than usual MAYBE because Moonie ordered the coal-fired power plants to be temporarily shut down. They've probably been reactivated for the coming winter without them telling anyone, and are probably to blame for the Chinese fine dust heavy smog recently.
Quote from: Mr.DeMartino on Yesterday at 01:40:32 PM

Trump is a liar and a con man.

• raysmith
  • Super Waygook

• August 16, 2012, 07:01:58 am
    • Korea
« Reply #339 on: November 12, 2017, 05:59:03 am »

USA:

Korea:

No, it's been 100 to 180 for the last week, so bad that the "fog" (smog) caused Herr Trump to cancel his super-secret Korean-style last minute trip to the DMZ.

On a good day the 2.5 is like 80 or so, "green" days where it's lower than 50 or 60 are very rare.

I think the summer was clearer than usual MAYBE because Moonie ordered the coal-fired power plants to be temporarily shut down. They've probably been reactivated for the coming winter without them telling anyone, and are probably to blame for the Chinese fine dust heavy smog recently.

Ha Ha.

I love the cross out line on the 'Chinese fine dust'.

Air pollution was one of the two main reasons I decided to leave Korea.