Read 109247 times

• Pecan
  • The Legend

• December 27, 2010, 09:14:44 am
    • Seoul
Re: Air pollution - bad enough to leave Korea?
« Reply #220 on: April 17, 2017, 09:34:37 am »
Koreans talking while eating? DO NOT WANT.

Anyway some guy on my local Facebook group who taught English here in the 70's said the pollution in Seoul back then was worse than today. It was probably a lot more localized though and didn't spread throughout the country like it does now.
It could have been the tear gas.
+1

• L I
  • The Legend

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #221 on: April 17, 2017, 11:44:44 am »
I wonder if the air really was worse in Korea in the 70s.

Weigookin74 said he met some older guys who said the air in Seoul was worse in the 90s, but stats say otherwise.

So some people remember things incorrectly and/or it could have been specific to the area of the city in which they were staying.

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
Re: Pollution blues
« Reply #222 on: April 17, 2017, 06:51:38 pm »
If I were to buy a reusable dust mask with replaceable filters, what should I be looking for? (not interested in Vog masks)

N: Not oil proof
R: Oil resistant (up to 8 hours)
P: Oil proof (beyond 8 hours)
Number: Particulate filters are rated 95, 97, or 100; which corresponds to the percentage of one-micrometer particles removed during clinical trials. A 95 rating means that the filter removes 95% of particles from the air. Filters rated 100 are considered High-Efficiency (HE or HEPA) filters.

I'm looking at something like a 3M 6200 mask, but what would be the best kind of filter if I'm just looking for protection from general pollution? I'm guessing N95 would be enough? Nothing oil-proof? Would those be generally cheaper, too?
N95 should do it, but nothing less if you're filtering out pm2.5. The big thing is the fit; no beards allowed.

« Reply #223 on: April 18, 2017, 07:51:29 am »
What would be the best kind of filter if I'm just looking for protection from general pollution? I'm guessing N95 would be enough? Nothing oil-proof? Would those be generally cheaper, too?
N95 should do it, but nothing less if you're filtering out pm2.5. The big thing is the fit; no beards allowed.

I appreciate the help, but you just missed me. I went out after school yesterday and followed through with it already. I am now the proud owner of a 3M 6200 mask with two 3M 2091 P100 HEPA filters. The guy running 유니칸 산업안전 at Garden 5 was very helpful and gregarious. (He's got a daughter who went to high school in California who now is attending college in Rhode Island :azn:)  He even gave me a deal; 23000 won for the whole set. I didn't realize the filters were going to be quite so voluminous, but it helps in my ultimate intention to draw as much attention to myself as possible. "Do you have these filters in any color other than hot pink?" If you happen to see me out on the Hangang, say hi!
« Last Edit: April 18, 2017, 07:54:02 am by donovan »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #224 on: April 18, 2017, 08:40:48 am »
I appreciate the help, but you just missed me. I went out after school yesterday and followed through with it already. I am now the proud owner of a 3M 6200 mask with two 3M 2091 P100 HEPA filters. The guy running 유니칸 산업안전 at Garden 5 was very helpful and gregarious. (He's got a daughter who went to high school in California who now is attending college in Rhode Island :azn:)  He even gave me a deal; 23000 won for the whole set. I didn't realize the filters were going to be quite so voluminous, but it helps in my ultimate intention to draw as much attention to myself as possible. "Do you have these filters in any color other than hot pink?" If you happen to see me out on the Hangang, say hi!
Cool! Next time I'm in Seoul and I happen to see someone cosplaying Fallout 3: Barbie Edition, I will be sure to ask if they have jam!  :smiley:

« Reply #225 on: April 19, 2017, 11:38:55 am »
Cool! Next time I'm in Seoul and I happen to see someone cosplaying Fallout 3: Barbie Edition, I will be sure to ask if they have jam:smiley:

You know I'm fresh out! :cry:

--------------------------------------

Yellow dust is particularly bad today. Heads up. Masks on.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #226 on: April 30, 2017, 04:14:08 pm »
Improving the living environment in Korea

For years, the Korean media framed air pollution as a Chinese problem that blew over to Korea. This effectively absolved Korean politicians of responsibility, and they responded by ignoring the topic.

The issue came to the fore this year because of headlines declaring the air in Seoul as among the worst in the world. People instinctively know that the quality of air has gotten worse and that the length of the annual dust season has gotten longer. People worry about how the dust affects their children and their elderly parents as they curtail outdoor activities because of the dust.

The new interest in the issue raises the question of what a president can actually do about the problem.

http://www.koreaherald.com/view.php?ud=20170424000994

« Reply #227 on: May 02, 2017, 09:04:02 am »
Yellow dust is out of Korea's control.  Also, most of the time, 60 % of it is from China.  It has a lot to do with wind direction, temperatures (more specifically a difference between night and day temps creating a fog effect trapping much of it in), etc. 

This past weekend it was hotter than usual - Sun and Mon and the air quality was horrible.  It's usually only low to mid 20's at this time and the air is reasonably clean.  But it's been warmer than usual.  Just like winter and spring days when the day temps are warm.  It's always when the skies are the elast clear and when you can see the worst air quality.  It's a trend or pattern I've noticed since being here for many years. 

The only good news is the air quality ratings should be better over the next few days, at least compared to last month and also the last couple of days.  It kind of sucked having to stay in on Sun and Mon due to the air quality.  I like to be outdoors at this time of year.  Honestly, the climate and weather do suck here most of the time.  I can't be an outdoors person like I was in Canada at all.  Hopefully, after today, this one school day, I can get back outside with the holidays coming up.  But, there's a chance Thurs and next Tues could be a rain day.  (Of course it has to be a rain day when you're off!) 

• iamsam
  • Veteran

• March 06, 2017, 07:56:05 am
« Reply #228 on: May 02, 2017, 09:19:31 am »
Yellow dust is out of Korea's control.  Also, most of the time, 60 % of it is from China.  It has a lot to do with wind direction, temperatures (more specifically a difference between night and day temps creating a fog effect trapping much of it in), etc. 

This past weekend it was hotter than usual - Sun and Mon and the air quality was horrible.  It's usually only low to mid 20's at this time and the air is reasonably clean.  But it's been warmer than usual.  Just like winter and spring days when the day temps are warm.  It's always when the skies are the elast clear and when you can see the worst air quality.  It's a trend or pattern I've noticed since being here for many years. 

The only good news is the air quality ratings should be better over the next few days, at least compared to last month and also the last couple of days.  It kind of sucked having to stay in on Sun and Mon due to the air quality.  I like to be outdoors at this time of year.  Honestly, the climate and weather do suck here most of the time.  I can't be an outdoors person like I was in Canada at all.  Hopefully, after today, this one school day, I can get back outside with the holidays coming up.  But, there's a chance Thurs and next Tues could be a rain day.  (Of course it has to be a rain day when you're off!)

Quite a garrulous rant you just gave there..

Stop calling it yellow dust...  It's pollution.  You sound like some of the Korean people I've talked to who shift the blame to China.  Korea creates a lot of pollution as well.  Tons of cars and buses, industry, coal plants for cheap energy, and so on.  Korea is not a victim and needs to innovate solutions to lower pollution. 

"Also, most of the time, 60 % of it is from China. "

What does this even mean?  Do you have any sources for your assertion?  Sounds like you just pulled a random number from your butthole. 
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 09:21:06 am by iamsam »

• kyndo
  • Moderator LVL 1

• March 03, 2011, 09:45:24 am
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
« Reply #229 on: May 02, 2017, 09:29:26 am »
"Also, most of the time, 60 % of it is from China. "
What does this even mean?
It means that folk here believe the stories that blame China for the majority of air pollution in Korea.

"What? Pollution? Problems with pesky environmentalists? Tell them that most of the time, 60% is from China. 60% of the time, it works every time!"

• gogators!
  • The Legend

• March 16, 2016, 04:35:48 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #230 on: May 02, 2017, 04:57:17 pm »

In the red this afternoon.

« Reply #231 on: May 03, 2017, 09:33:57 pm »

In the red this afternoon.

Evidently the air forecast site is a piece of shit.  But, in past years, when we got to this time, it was clear, dry, warm, with blue skies and clean air.  I know because I've always been outdoors in it.  This year, I've tried to get outdoors and the dust, pollen, pollution, and even slight humidity has been total BS.  (I've had to spend these holidays mostly indoors.  What a waste of time off.  Of course, next week when we're back in school, I'm sure the weather will be great just because....)  Just like last fall when it was suppose to clear out and the hot humid weather kept sticking around.  What the hell?   Seriously! 

« Reply #232 on: May 03, 2017, 09:40:44 pm »
http://www.standard.net/World/2017/04/28/Smog-becomes-a-political-issue-in-South-Korean-election

“China is the main culprit,” the environment ministry said in a report last month, saying that China causes 30 to 50 percent of the PM2.5 in South Korea on normal days, but 60 to 80 percent on the worst days.

Those worst days when we are in the orange and red, it does come from China.  That's not to say things shouldn't be done here with regards to diesel usage and more coal plants being built.  I get they are afraid since Fukushima, but nuclear is less polluting.  Japan only had their plant blow up because they didn't build the sea wall next to the plant high enough.  It did actually withstand the quake as it was built to.  So, either use more nuclear or import more natural gas, which could be more expensive, is the way to go. 

• KimDuHan
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• January 15, 2015, 11:48:59 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #233 on: May 03, 2017, 09:42:59 pm »
The pollution is horrible this year! It's the worst year by far in all the years I've been here.

« Reply #234 on: May 03, 2017, 09:45:30 pm »
It does seem to be getting worse here.

The host (who is not that old) said when she was a kid growing up in Seoul the skies were blue.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbSRTXjYVGE

[starts at 10:40]

That surprises me as Korea was a developing country and must have been polluted as hell.  Some older expats on here described living in Seoul in the 90's as having their throats and nose burning from the pollution back then.  They did say until recently, the air seemed better.  So, asides from building more coal plants lately, I can't think of anything else they'd be doing worse than before.  As a developing country, there would have been very few enforced standards.  But the air in China has gotten worse over the last couple of decades.  When Korea was a developing country, China had hardly any industry. 

Personally, I've really noticed a difference over the last 2 years.  But the weather here has been so effed up.  Normal spring and fall weather patterns don't seem to exist anymore. 

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #235 on: May 04, 2017, 11:18:41 am »
Global warming changed the weather patterns?

More pollutants coming from China and Mongolia compared to years past?

People in China used to commute by riding bicycles. I wonder how similar it was in Korea in the past. People walking or biking to work rather than driving.

More electricty is used in Korea now compared to in the past. AC uses more than fans. (Perhaps an AC company started the 'fan death' rumor to sell more units?) Even air purifiers use a lot of electricity which in turn requires the burning of more coal.

Perhaps in the past the air pollution was more scattered / concentrated, whereas now it covers the entire peninsula, the west coast regions in particular?

« Reply #236 on: May 04, 2017, 11:48:19 am »
Sandstorms hit northern China, with Beijing air quality off the charts

I don't know how much was the pollution or the pollen, but yesterday I was bed-ridden and down for the count, and that was with an air quality rating hovering just around 100. It's over 900 in Beijing today! I can't even imagine :huh:

« Reply #237 on: May 04, 2017, 12:15:38 pm »
Yeah. I just checked out Beijing's aqi and, although it's not likely to last, these readings are freaking insane.

Seoul's air is pretty decent today.

• L I
  • The Legend

• Seoul
« Reply #238 on: May 04, 2017, 01:38:59 pm »
Is it decent?

NYC: 15
http://aqicn.org/city/newyork

Seoul: 109
http://aqicn.org/city/seoul/

Seoul is always at least quadruple New York City every time I check.

In fact, everywhere in Korea (even the countryside) is at least double what it is inside America's biggest city.

http://aqicn.org/map/southkorea

• Savant
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 07, 2012, 11:35:31 pm
« Reply #239 on: May 04, 2017, 01:41:30 pm »
The days when 100 is considered "decent" might be the norm now.