Read 1756 times

• mystic951
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2011, 01:44:06 pm
    • Gimcheon-si
Literary Elements
« on: April 09, 2014, 09:56:40 am »
So, this lesson is part of a series. I'm going to explore the different elements of reading literature (plot/setting/character/conflict/theme) for the readings I plan to do with my class. Right now, we just cracked open, "The One and Only Ivan" and I really haven't asked my students to explore character, plot or anything like that.

This particular lesson is probably going to be split into a couple days. I'm not taking the conventional approach to just teaching the concepts directly and having them memorize/reproduce them. This is (hopefully) to encourage students to think outside the box and try to see the characters in stories as living/breathing. To relate to them a bit more.

Either way, I'm all really new to this so, any feedback/modifications you make I would love to see.

Good luck and good reading ;)

Quick and Dirty whats in this lesson:
-Explores the element of Character
-Length: 50+min
-PPT (with links to resources in notes)
-Handout
-Explores concept of personal traits.
-Vocab: none, build a list with the students.

• mystic951
  • Veteran

• Gimcheon-si
Re: Literary Elements
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 10:02:23 am »
This is the one I used for the first day.

Kinda does a quick and dirty run down of all 5 elements.

Whats inside:
-45min+
-Worksheets
-ppt
-lplan
-key concepts: Literary elements: character, plot, setting, theme, conflict.

This lesson could use a little polishing. So, before you download/print and run off to class. Take a little time to review and modify.

• mystic951
  • Veteran

• Gimcheon-si
Character
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 12:34:05 pm »
Tried this out while exploring "character".

The whole idea is to get them thinking outside the box a bit in regards to what character is and what defines them. Also, to get them to create a very healthy list of synonyms and character traits that we can use in class when talking about characters in the readings. I used this for a 1on1 and had ample time to open up Naver/Google or a dictionary to help my student create the list of traits. If you're doing this with a larger class, maybe compile a list of traits in advance that you can elicit or teach to the class. Still have dictionaries so they can create their own, or maybe have them create some more as homework, but these two lessons went over really well.

The first part was the personality quiz and intro. Not sure how the time would fair for a class of more than 1 student, but perhaps expand the PPT out a bit to suit your class. The second can go for hours. The entire ppt is based around discussion and debate and easily can go over 0:45-1:30. The original plan was to put students into groups so they could discuss and create a list, that would be discussed in class. But, you can do whatever you want. Hopefully this helps. Is an interesting stand alone if you're not doing Story Elements.