Read 2438 times

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
Research Project Topics for Middle School Girls
« on: April 09, 2014, 07:26:01 am »
Anyone have some ones that have gotten your students really interested?

I teach a one and a half hour after school class and am planning on making them create a poster accompanied by a speech. To keep their interest for that long, I'm gonna need some good topics haha.

• stuman
  • Veteran

• May 13, 2011, 12:31:52 pm
    • South Korea
Re: Research Project Topics for Middle School Girls
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2014, 07:57:27 am »
Have them create an invention. They don't need to research, and can be creative. They can do a presentation to the rest of the students.

• bird212
  • Super Waygook

• May 05, 2013, 01:25:37 am
    • United States
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2014, 09:46:39 am »
The inventions idea is good, I'm currently doing that with  my students and then they will be writing and performing infomercials for them.  You could also do a travel research.  Somewhat cliche but easy enough--have to make a travel brochure or travel plan type of thing for a country or city.
Get $10 off your first order at www.iherb.com with this code KRG363

• School-Doll
  • Explorer

• September 17, 2010, 08:48:53 am
    • iseo myeon, south Korea
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2014, 09:53:21 am »
Designing a board game?

Ive had my students do a poster about England before.
Doesn't take too many lessons ^^

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2014, 08:26:39 pm »
here are some topics you may find useful:

1. Research and talk about a country. You might want to outlaw Pacific-Asia to get them thinking further abroad. They can talk about stuff like: economy, culture, national sports, climate, major tourist attractions, how many states/provinces, etc.

2. How to ...
Let the students choose the topic. Can be anything. How to drive a car, how to get a girlfriend/boyfriend, how to make a cappuccino, whatever.

3. Invent something new. anything.
e.g., a new superhero (describe his/her powers, origin, main enemy, costume, etc.), a new country, a new sport, a new (non-real) dream job, etc.

4. Tour guide
Plan a 2 day and 1 night tour to somewhere in Korea (or outside Korea even). where will they go, how will they get there, what will they see, what will they eat (famous cuisine of the place they are going) and so on. the poster can serve as a tour brochure for this topic.

• mystic951
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2011, 01:44:06 pm
    • Gimcheon-si
« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2014, 09:44:51 pm »
I tried something like this with my middle school students. The topics varied on grade level and ability level. For the grade 1's, we had a lesson on Comic Books, so I had them make me an English Comic book. Grade 2, lesson on the solar system, so they picked a planet and did a report/poster. Grade 3, I don't recall....

Either way, the projects came out looking pretty decent, however, the students didn't do them as I had anticipated. I thought they would do some work or group work outside of school, nope. Most just go home and do other class work, or they go to hagwons. If you're going to do a project, expect to have time for the students to use in-class. If I could do it over again, I would have group computer time, group research (have books, or print out articles on their topic) and group creation time. Basically stations. I wouldn't expect them to take it home and do it.

If its going to be something lengthy, science fair topics are always fun, diverse and interesting. Art projects, music projects, video projects, etc. Check out pinterest for good ideas, or just Google around for teacher blogs. I don't have enough students to do projects anymore, but I hope yours goes over well.