• April 08, 2014, 01:34:12 am
    • Florida
contract
« on: April 08, 2014, 10:46:14 pm »
Thanks!
« Last Edit: May 15, 2014, 01:38:33 am by ghawk »

Re: SLP contract...
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2014, 11:01:33 am »
It's SLP with insane work hours, a "job training period," and ridicolous penalties for quitting.  Stay the **** away

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2014, 11:14:59 am »
It's SLP with insane work hours, a "job training period," and ridicolous penalties for quitting.  Stay the **** away

Agreed. Just don't bother, unless you literally have NO choice.

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2014, 01:02:08 pm »
SLP is often said to stand for "Slave Labour Program" by those who have worked there. I haven't worked at an SLP personally, but i think that's all you need to know. and 36 classes per week?! that's insane, especially for a mere 2.2 million a month. you'd have to pay me at least 3 million a month to do that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2014, 01:05:37 pm by johnny russian »

• donuts81
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 20, 2010, 10:23:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2014, 01:38:54 pm »
Everything has pretty much been covered, but I had to say what a crappy contract.

High workload, low pay, apparently compulsory overtime, being fired without notice (illegal). It almost has it all. I guess you should be happy they didn't take away your sick leave or require a housing security deposit.
"You can't hurt me now, Mr Lee. I've lost all feeling"

• ghawk
  • Adventurer

• Florida
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2014, 11:18:14 pm »
Okay, thanks. The interview is tonight...
I did talk with one of the foreign teachers and they seem really happy, though.

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 07:13:49 am »
Okay, thanks. The interview is tonight...
I did talk with one of the foreign teachers and they seem really happy, though.

Some hagwons make a stipulation that if you leave at the end of your contract, you have to find a replacement before you will receive your severance.

• KaysESL
  • Adventurer

• October 28, 2013, 07:35:21 am
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 07:20:03 am »
I used to work for an SLP. I never saw one full paycheck, there were always teachers quitting (especially on the Korean side), the curriculum was bullshit and they went out of business after I'd been there for three months. In the three months I was there we went through about four "head teachers" (one lasted for all of 2 and a half days). Most of the new Korean teachers they hired quit within a week.

No co-teacher, lots of screaming little kids who don't listen and many don't know enough English that listening would be irrelevant in the first place.

Still, I didn't have it as bad off as the girl they brought over one week before going under without having setup her visa, ARC, etc. Did I mention no one got paid? Yeah a bunch of us got a lawyer and still (almost a year later) have yet to see any money. 

They didn't pay rent to the apartment complex so there was frequent apartment shuffling. One teacher even got moved into a classroom at the school and that was her 'apartment' until the school shut down and the building owners said she had to leave because the school, surprise surprise, hadn't paid rent.

I would stay the hell away from any SLP.

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 08:27:21 am »
I have a friend who works at an SLP.  They like it except that the contract stated they would get single housing and they ended up putting all three of the foreign teachers in a shared apartment to save money.

Your contract looks very different from hers though.  I would stay away from that.

• orangeman
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• September 01, 2011, 09:56:35 am
    • Seoul-East Side
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 08:28:43 am »
In the future you might want to take out the name and address of the school.  It says right there in the contract that disclosing the contract details with any third party is cause for termination. If you did choose to go with this school (please don't, it's horrible) they could hold onto this post till your 11th month and then pull it out to fire you, and you'd have no real recourse. 

• ghawk
  • Adventurer

• Florida
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2014, 10:58:06 am »
In the future you might want to take out the name and address of the school.  It says right there in the contract that disclosing the contract details with any third party is cause for termination. If you did choose to go with this school (please don't, it's horrible) they could hold onto this post till your 11th month and then pull it out to fire you, and you'd have no real recourse.
Whoops--didn't even notice that! I took it out.

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I'll be passing on this one...