Read 1880 times

• hannah22
  • Waygookin

• September 13, 2010, 06:41:48 pm
    • South Korea
daddy long legs
« on: March 25, 2011, 01:35:13 pm »
I'm wondering if anyone has taught the book daddy long legs for middle school? I have to teach it to my middle school after school class which is LOW Low low level. So far I'm just going to have them listen to the tape that comes with it, read out loud, do a fill in the blank, and we will discuss vocab. My principal wants me to assign homework as well but I am very unsure of how to make this book easy and fun in any way for them.
 :o
Help?!

Re: daddy long legs
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2011, 02:23:21 pm »
There's a Korean movie that was inspired by the book. You could show it as a prize at the end? Basically, the girl has an unknown benefactor that she seeks to find. Of course it ends up being a tragic love story, which to the best of my knowledge, is not related to the real book. I believe there's also a cartoon/anime version out there, which is more accurate to the book.

I know you said your kids were really low, so can they even read? I would say pick out the most vital vocab from the passage you're reading for that lesson and give them a powerpoint and vocabulary drills before actually reading. Then they can try to spot the words they've learned as they read. This will help them get a better understanding of the text and boost their self-confidence.

Their lack of vocabulary could also be a good opportunity to teach them reading with context clues...

Forgot to add this: http://www.veoh.com/list/u/Nefeli136136 looks like this person has all the cartoon episodes...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2011, 02:24:55 pm by peasgoodnonsuch »

• hannah22
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 08:03:06 am »
thanks so very much! those cartoons will be helpful since class is an hour and a half. i don't know their reading level yet, but i don't think it will be very high. powerpoint of the vocab with pictures and detail of what is happening should help a lot. luckily the book has definitions in hangul of the harder words like "trustee" and "institution". (aigooo)
thanks again and wish me luck :)

• hannah22
  • Waygookin

• South Korea
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2011, 01:52:22 pm »
oh man. teaching this book has been like pulling teeth. it's way over their heads and they don't enjoy the book at all. can't say i do either...
showing annie to them right now and will show the old daddy long legs movie from 1955. otherwise here are the powerpoints i have made if anyone ever ends up needing them.
i hope for your sake you don't..