Read 5126 times

• gialian
  • Waygookin

• September 02, 2013, 10:53:46 am
    • Chungbuk
Good games or activities to review textbook dialogue
« on: March 31, 2014, 01:48:03 pm »
I work at a coed middle school, and we work out of the textbook (because the tests are based out of the textbook).

My coteacher wants the students to have a chance to read the dialogue for each lesson. So she suggested dictation, but is giving me free reign to do whatever.

I've done running dialogue before, but I find that better for shorter and simpler dialogues. I also do ball toss, but like the previous game, it seems better for shorter and simpler dialogues. And then there's dictation strips (students order the dialogue, and then put the missing words into the blanks).

Do you guys have any activities up your sleeves to help expose kids to the text, while giving them a chance to speak/listen, and be physically active?

• withmatt
  • Super Waygook

• March 04, 2013, 08:32:24 am
    • Guri
Re: Good games or activities to review textbook dialogue
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 02:10:53 pm »
Draw a DVD Player (or remote) on the white board with Play, Pause, Speed Up, Slow Down, Volume Up, and Volume Down.  When you "press" the button on the fake DVD player, students have to alter their reading according (i.e. they should pause when you hit the pause button).  If the reading is in the book and not on the TV, make sure you give them a signal like ringing a bell.

Or have the students sit on top of their desks and have the first student read the first word, then the second student read the second word and so on.  Any time they get to a period (or key vocab word, or whatever you choose) the student who said that word has to sit down in their chair.  Last student standing wins. 

Similarly you could do it like Baskin Robbins 31, where they can choose to say one, two, or three words before it goes to the next student.

Tell them an emotion or give them a dramatic scenario and have them read the dialogue as if they were in that scenario. 

Have two teams.  The first team starts reading but whenever a key word or grammar comes up, it switches to the other team reading.

Have one team or one student reading, and student from the other team can try to interrupt his reading with random questions.  He must answer the questions before he can continue reading.  Time the student to see how long it takes to finish.

• Denevius
  • Veteran

• March 17, 2011, 02:25:22 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2014, 02:59:21 pm »
There's a ton of stuff on this site, which you would find easier from searching through it then asking someone to supply the answer for you.

Search for something called 'Flipcup Game'.

Also, try Dave's ESL cafe. It has a lot of games that are less reliant on powerpoints and computers.

But really, if you just search this site, you'll find an plethora of the type of games you're looking for. You might have to go back two or three years, however.

• gialian
  • Waygookin

• September 02, 2013, 10:53:46 am
    • Chungbuk
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2014, 03:58:20 pm »
@withmatt - Thanks for the suggestions! I think I'm going to try some of these variations for reading the dialogue. I hadn't thought of using Last One Standing in that way. Thanks :)

@Denevius - I know there's the search option. But with a forum this big, it gets a little overwhelming combing through the threads, or trying to search with extremely vague keywords. And some of the best activity suggestions are buried in textbook-based threads that aren't from my own book, that I would have never considered looking through. And for something like "Flipcup" I would have never known existed if you hadn't come across this thread to suggest it as a search option. I'm just looking for and compile friendly suggestions. Thanks, though.
« Last Edit: March 31, 2014, 04:00:47 pm by gialian »

• tori_bird
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2012, 10:33:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2014, 01:48:54 pm »
I had a few of good games that you can just plug in a bunch of phrases and BAM-- instant awesome game^^

1. Strip Bingo Good to use as a reading/speaking game. A single strip of paper is used. Fold in half three times to make 8 sections. Students will think of (or you can pre-make) 8 key phrases to use for each number and write them on the board (or ppt) and each sentence's number will correspond to the numbers on the paper. Each student will write the numbers randomly in the strip spaces. You can play in small groups or with the whole class. Each student will take a turn and say one phrase from either end of their paper. If other students have the same phrase on either side of their papers, they can rip it off the end. If the phrase is not on either end, they cannot rip it of their strip. Students get a BINGO when they dont have any pieces of paper left.

2. Yutnori - The classic Korean game (similar to our "Sorry" game). This is a super easy game you can play since the kids already know the rules of how to move around the board. I draw the game on the board and then make teams of students and give them a symbol for their team (like a clover, heart, star, etc.) and then I write 6 key phrases on the board, each next to a number from 1 ~ 6...these numbers correspond to the dice students must roll. Two students from each team come up, one rolls the dice and says the sentence for the number, then the other student (who can't see the dice) listens to the sentence, finds the number that belongs to the sentence and moves their symbol around the board.

3.  Heads Up - This game is a mix between "Heads Up 7 Up" and Mafia. I have 6 cards that have a beginning phrase to a dialog, such as: "You need to do your homework." and "You need to do your chores." and so on. I choose 6 students to start the game and I make the rest of the class put their heads down. The 6 students will take their cards and put them on other students' desks and then come back to the front. Then I say "Heads up." and have the students who have cards on their desks stand and come one by one and read their card to one person at the front. If the card does not match the person who gave it, that person says the negative responds to the phrase you use, such as "What do you mean?" and the other student sits down. If the card matches that person, the person says a positive response, such as "Oh, ok!" and the two people switch places.

Sorry for the long explanations. I hope you find these games useful^^
Enjoy!

• fishead
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• April 23, 2010, 07:58:05 am
    • Yangju Korea
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2014, 02:13:12 pm »
 Disappearing words.  Copy one of the dialogues into a power point slide. Then cut and paste it and put it in the next slide. Delete a few words and replace them with blanks. Then cut and paste the second slide and delete a few more words and replace them with blanks. Do this in sequence until the entire dialogue is just a series of blanks.
To play the game simply show the first slide and have students read out loud. Then show them the second slide with the blanks have them read out loud. Continue activity in sequence until students are saying the dialogue and looking at blanks.

Word Jumble. First have a powerpoint slide of an entire dialogue. Stant easy and go difficult show sentences with the words in the wrong order. With PPT you can gradually make it more difficult and you can even start using longer sentences with some words upside down.

Information gap. Copy a dialogue from the text. Delete alternating sentences. Make a (Student A version). Make a ( Student B version) with all the sentences missing from A version on and vise versa. It's really important to double check this to see if you made a mistake.  Hand out the A versions and B versions accordingly. So alternating students have eith A or B paper.
The idea behind this is all the A section sentences that are missing on A paper appear on B paper.  So the students have to read aloud and listen to and write down sentences from the other students paper.  When done properly there should be a buzz of activity .

Text Message transl8it.
Take a simple dialogue transcribe it into a text message. Put it on a power point. Have the real message in proper Romanized English appear later. First show them the cell phone text message give them a time limit to solve it then show them the actual message