Read 4701 times

• Blanca
  • Waygookin

• April 26, 2012, 12:57:53 pm
    • Ulsan
Applying to EPIK with Type 1 Diabetes
« on: March 28, 2014, 05:08:26 am »
Hey everyone,

The missus and I have just received our EPIK application forms for August 2014 and, towards the bottom, in the medical questionnaire, I notice it asks if you have diabetes, which she does. Should we disclose this?

Obviously, this being Korea, having diabetes would definitely be seen as a negative, but it's not really something you could hide if you lied about it ("sir what's that pump thing that's attached to your body?"). We're in two minds about what to do, since she could probably play it off if questioned about it, but it's lying on a visa document at the end of the day.

Any advice, particularly from someone who's been in this situation.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu Province, Taiwan
    more
Re: Applying to EPIK with Type 1 Diabetes
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:42:00 am »
Shouldn't be an issue. I am sure your wife will be ok. She doesn't have some infectious illness that will take over the peninsula.
Everything is not as it seems.

There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• koreaiskorea
  • Super Waygook

• August 06, 2013, 09:21:54 am
    • Double Standard Hotel
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 07:52:08 am »
Lie. They have more than enough applicants to throw any potential problems and risks in the trash bin.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

• August 27, 2013, 01:07:13 pm
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:01 am »
I would be as honest as possible. There is no point in lying about anything (especially something obvious) on your application, and I know of at least two people who were sent home during the orientation period for this. If you're sent home like this you don't get reimbursed for your flights and will have wasted a lot of time, money and effort for nothing.

Most things they asked about (tattoos, medical issues, etc) which I was hesitant to disclose were just to discuss how I would deal with them while I was away. I have a medical condition which I disclosed and during the interview they just asked how I would deal with it in Korea (bring extra medication with me). I'm not sure if diabetes would be treated differently or not, but I believe honesty is the best policy. Especially if it specifically asks about diabetes.

• bbNiks
  • Adventurer

• March 03, 2013, 03:15:46 am
    • US
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 08:39:29 am »
I haven't been in this position, but I say be honest. It's not like it's an infectious disease, or a condition which places other people at risk.

If you and your wife are selected, you'll both have to undergo a health-check at orientation. I think it's much better to be upfront about things early on, rather than have to be sent home for something they found in your examination. I don't think they'd take well to being lied to. But that's just my two cents.

Good luck.

• yfb
  • Expert Waygook

• July 05, 2010, 11:50:12 am
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 08:46:23 am »
Hey everyone,

The missus and I have just received our EPIK application forms for August 2014 and, towards the bottom, in the medical questionnaire, I notice it asks if you have diabetes, which she does. Should we disclose this?

Obviously, this being Korea, having diabetes would definitely be seen as a negative, but it's not really something you could hide if you lied about it ("sir what's that pump thing that's attached to your body?"). We're in two minds about what to do, since she could probably play it off if questioned about it, but it's lying on a visa document at the end of the day.

Any advice, particularly from someone who's been in this situation.

Those are screening questions. Check yes, and it's an automatic denial. Simple as that.

• VaterRoss
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 01:12:28 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 08:47:07 am »
For chronic conditions it is my understanding that they pretty much just toss the application unless you are an unusually strong candidate.

A friend with a similar condition was insta-rejected twice from national EPIK and dropped by a recruiter. After a strategic omission, instant acceptance.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 08:53:54 am »
I would be as honest as possible. There is no point in lying about anything (especially something obvious) on your application, and I know of at least two people who were sent home during the orientation period for this.

Two people were sent home for having diabetes or for lying?

Will this kind of thing show up on the blood test? If so, then I guess there really is no point in lying.

I'm an honest upfront kind of person, but I've learnt that's not always the best way here in Korea. Will they discriminate against you for having diabetes? Possibly... actually.. probably. I guess it depends on how attractive a candidate you are.

If it won't show up in your blood works, then lying is something you have to weigh up. I know someone who didn't divulge the hormone treatment she's on. She never got caught as they weren't testing for that. They might not test for diabetes either. Does anyone know what they test exactly?

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 09:03:50 am »
I would be as honest as possible. There is no point in lying about anything (especially something obvious) on your application, and I know of at least two people who were sent home during the orientation period for this.

Two people were sent home for having diabetes or for lying?

Sorry, should have been more clear. They were sent home for lying (not diabetes).

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 02:15:41 pm »
I've heard of people being sent home for vastly underreporting their weight on the application...

OP, are you going through a recruiter?
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• sass
  • Veteran

• August 19, 2009, 01:57:00 pm
    • Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 02:52:00 pm »
I have non-visible tattoos and a lip ring (which I take out at work). I wrote it on the EPIK application but my recruiter told me to remove it. Not a health problem but a still a lie. It's been no problem.

Personally, I'd probably lie unless you want to work somewhere rural. Lots of people apply for jobs in big cities so I'd imagine any disadvantage would get your application trashed pretty quickly. If you have a good recruiter I'd ask them for their opinion. They get tons of applications and know how many people have applied so can tell you if it'd hurt your chances.

I'm curious what people lied about to get them sent home from EPIK? And how they were found out during the orientation?

• Blanca
  • Waygookin

• April 26, 2012, 12:57:53 pm
    • Ulsan
« Reply #11 on: March 29, 2014, 02:05:28 am »
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

We are in fact going through Footprints, and although it would not be the end of the world to be rejected by EPIK (since we can just apply direct to the MOEs later), it'd be nice to get something in the bag at this stage.

The "insta-rejection" thing was something I worried about. On the one hand, if it was a very subtle condition we'd definitely lie, but she'll be going into the medical with an insulin pump stuck to her hip. I think we'll apply, and if we get rejected due to the diabetes, apply through the MOEs and "forget" to mention it then.

Maybe asking Footprints themselves would be sensible - I was hesitant at first because I thought THEY might reject us because of it, but at the end of the day they're just trying to place people in jobs and they know better than anyone.

« Reply #12 on: March 29, 2014, 08:54:32 am »
i got out the results of my EPIK medical from last year now, and there doesn't appear to be any explicit test for diabetes on there. there is a liver test though, as well as a test for "urinary organ disease", and a test for "digestive diseases"  - not sure if diabetes would show up on those? as for the insulin bag, you don't need to undress at any stage of the exam , so it shouldn't even be noticed.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:01:43 am by johnny russian »

« Reply #13 on: March 31, 2014, 03:19:28 pm »
Thanks for the responses, everyone.

We are in fact going through Footprints, and although it would not be the end of the world to be rejected by EPIK (since we can just apply direct to the MOEs later), it'd be nice to get something in the bag at this stage.

The "insta-rejection" thing was something I worried about. On the one hand, if it was a very subtle condition we'd definitely lie, but she'll be going into the medical with an insulin pump stuck to her hip. I think we'll apply, and if we get rejected due to the diabetes, apply through the MOEs and "forget" to mention it then.

Maybe asking Footprints themselves would be sensible - I was hesitant at first because I thought THEY might reject us because of it, but at the end of the day they're just trying to place people in jobs and they know better than anyone.

Um, no. Don't "forget" to mention a serious illness like diabetes when you are going to a country where you do not speak the language. You may be placed way out in the sticks without ready and fast access to sophisticated medical care. Korea is fine, it's not worth endangering your wife's life.

Speak to your recruiter and let them know. They are aware of what your chances would or would not be- and they get money for placing people; they won't exclude you just on a whim or because they get nervous about a controllable illness.

This is not a tattoo or a lip ring. This can be a matter of life or death and omitting this information could get you sent home in disgrace at least.
NOTORIOUS D.G.P.

• ashe1590
  • Super Waygook

« Reply #14 on: March 31, 2014, 03:22:33 pm »
as for the insulin bag, you don't need to undress at any stage of the exam , so it shouldn't even be noticed.

We had to go topless/ braless for the chest x-ray. It might become an issue then.

« Reply #15 on: March 31, 2014, 03:29:27 pm »
as for the insulin bag, you don't need to undress at any stage of the exam , so it shouldn't even be noticed.

We had to go topless/ braless for the chest x-ray. It might become an issue then.

you are allowed to take your bra off before going for the x-ray. just don't put on a bra on the morning of the medical and you won't have to take your shirt off.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #16 on: March 31, 2014, 03:38:23 pm »
you are allowed to take your bra off before going for the x-ray. just don't put on a bra on the morning of the medical and you won't have to take your shirt off.

I don't think so...every time I've gotten the chest x-ray done for a medical check-up in Korea, I was always told that I had to take off everything that I was wearing on top (shirt, t-shirt, and bra), and change into one of those hospital tops, and wear only that as a top for the chest x-ray.

« Reply #17 on: March 31, 2014, 04:21:17 pm »

I don't think so...every time I've gotten the chest x-ray done for a medical check-up in Korea, I was always told that I had to take off everything that I was wearing on top (shirt, t-shirt, and bra), and change into one of those hospital tops, and wear only that as a top for the chest x-ray.

i do think so, because at my orientation last year the girls were allowed to do the chest x-ray with only a t-shirt on as long as they had taken their bra off. if you go to a hospital for your renewal medical and they make you change into a gown that's a different story, but at my orientation the chest x-ray was done in a van, not at a hospital. even if you have to change into a medical gown you should be allowed to do this in private.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #18 on: March 31, 2014, 04:35:11 pm »
i do think so, because at my orientation last year the girls were allowed to do the chest x-ray with only a t-shirt on as long as they had taken their bra off. if you go to a hospital for your renewal medical and they make you change into a gown that's a different story, but at my orientation the chest x-ray was done in a van, not at a hospital. even if you have to change into a medical gown you should be allowed to do this in private.

Hmm...okay, but in my experience of getting medical check-ups at hospitals in Korea, they have always made me take all my tops off and change into the hospital gown top thing for the chest x-ray -- so yeah, I'm only speaking about Korean hospitals and my experience there for medical checks. And yeah, I was always allowed to change in private, of course.