Read 3224 times

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• March 03, 2014, 06:34:16 pm
    • Korea
Should I go with LG or SK for a phone plan?
« on: March 27, 2014, 06:56:22 pm »

Hello everyone.

As Olleh is currently suspended and I've already been here a month with no phone, I'm going with a Korean speaking friend tomorrow to get a phone plan. I brought an unlocked smartphone with me, though from recent things I've read it seems that it won't work with Korea's cellular network (it's a GSM).

Having read that, I'm going to try and get a smartphone contract with either SK or LG.

I'd appreciate anyone's experiences and feedback with these carriers - Is it true that LG doesn't necessarily charge you a ton of money to break a contract?

I'm only planning on staying a year, so am planning on finding someone to take over my contract once I leave. I'm near Busan, so I figure it shouldn't be too hard, especially since I'll be leaving right as the fresh crop of March teachers will be arriving and getting their ARCs.

Anyhow, thoughts?

• Ley_Druid
  • The Legend

• February 17, 2011, 08:36:33 am
    • Shinan-Gun, Jeollanam-Do, South Korea
Re: Should I go with LG or SK for a phone plan?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 07:19:44 pm »
I prefer SK because they really do have the best network (largest and most reliable) in Korea. I don't really like LG for how they aggressively go after customers. In my first year, in 2009, they used to physically grab younger women and drag them into the shops. I always wanted to go punch them in the face for that.

SK seems to be more professional. Make sure you get your teacher's discount, but I think it might only be for public school teachers. And you will need your ARC in order to get one, so don't forget that, as well as your bank book.

You might want to shop around, find the phone you like, and talk them into final prices and whatnot. LG might be slightly cheaper, but I just think that they are icky.

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:14:45 pm »
Yeah, I heard SK was the most popular, but have little to no English language services...hence the Korean friend, ha.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 03:48:58 am »

Hello everyone.

As Olleh is currently suspended and I've already been here a month with no phone, I'm going with a Korean speaking friend tomorrow to get a phone plan. I brought an unlocked smartphone with me, though from recent things I've read it seems that it won't work with Korea's cellular network (it's a GSM).

Having read that, I'm going to try and get a smartphone contract with either SK or LG.

I'd appreciate anyone's experiences and feedback with these carriers - Is it true that LG doesn't necessarily charge you a ton of money to break a contract?

I'm only planning on staying a year, so am planning on finding someone to take over my contract once I leave. I'm near Busan, so I figure it shouldn't be too hard, especially since I'll be leaving right as the fresh crop of March teachers will be arriving and getting their ARCs.

Anyhow, thoughts?

Which phone is it and what country are you from? If you give us some details we might be able to help you on this one.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 06:06:56 am »

Which phone is it and what country are you from? If you give us some details we might be able to help you on this one.
[/quote]

It's an unlocked Global GSM Moto G.

• s_nexus
  • Adventurer

• October 07, 2012, 09:02:13 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 07:27:04 am »
Have you tried taking your phone to SKT or Olleh to activate it? I don't think you need to buy a new phone since the networks are pretty flexible..except LG. I'm a fan of their network, but I can't use my phone abroad.

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 07:36:14 am »
I'm going to be taking my phone to SK with a Korean speaking friend today - the plan is if they can activate it here, I'm going to use it and just get a plan with no contract. If my phone can't be used here, I was going to get a new phone with a contract and find someone to take it over before I leave in a year.

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 07:42:43 am »
I don't really like LG for how they aggressively go after customers. In my first year, in 2009, they used to physically grab younger women and drag them into the shops. I always wanted to go punch them in the face for that.

I still see this happening with some of the stores downtown in Daegu. It's frustrating to watch them stop women and grab their arms. To add to the SK love, the service has been great for the 2 years I've used it.
"Cricket? Nobody understands cricket! You gotta know what a crumpet is to understand cricket!"

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 07:45:12 am »
Stay away from LG. My girlfriend got stung for a music streaming service she didn't ask for. It eventually amounted to hundreds of thousands of won.

When she pressed them about it they told her the person who was responsible for removing the service (that she hadn't asked for) after the trial period had left for another job.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 07:46:46 am »
SK, are known to have the wider network. LG has been known to drop the connection occasionally.

LG might be cheaper, however.

Also, this doesn't apply to you but the main reason why I've avoided them is because you cannot use their own phones abroad (they sell all their phones sim-free). I believe they do sell just the sim, however. So you'll be okay there.

• confusedsafferinkorea
  • Waygook Lord

• October 08, 2010, 01:02:32 pm
    • Zhubei, Hsinchu County, Taiwan (not part of China)
    more
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 07:50:15 am »
It will work here as it is a 3G phone.

3G Network    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile, AT&T
     CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version

These are the specs for the phone and Korea's 3G network operates on the 2100 band.

They will register it on the system and you are good to go.
There is no known medical cure for stupidity!

• ciannagh
  • Super Waygook

• Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 07:58:08 am »
It will work here as it is a 3G phone.

3G Network    HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1900 / 2100
HSDPA 850 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile, AT&T
     CDMA2000 1xEV-DO - CDMA version

These are the specs for the phone and Korea's 3G network operates on the 2100 band.

They will register it on the system and you are good to go.

Ah thank you!

I'm so glad to hear I don't have to worry about a contract then. I was finding so much conflicting information about how phones from other countries don't work here, even though I know people who brought their own phones that are working fine. Phew.

Looks like I'll be going with SK!

Can anyone tell me how much their plans are? I'm looking for unlimited data (I get a lot of skype calls from home) and don't really care about how many minutes I have since Kakao is pretty awesome. 

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:05:04 am »
I prefer SK because they really do have the best network (largest and most reliable) in Korea. I don't really like LG for how they aggressively go after customers. In my first year, in 2009, they used to physically grab younger women and drag them into the shops. I always wanted to go punch them in the face for that.

SK seems to be more professional. Make sure you get your teacher's discount, but I think it might only be for public school teachers. And you will need your ARC in order to get one, so don't forget that, as well as your bank book.

You might want to shop around, find the phone you like, and talk them into final prices and whatnot. LG might be slightly cheaper, but I just think that they are icky.

Wait - WHAT discount? I work at a public school and I'm with SKT. Are you telling me I could have something cheaper than what I already have?

I'm currently on a 2 yr contract 42 LTE. So with the amount I pay monthly for the plan and the phone, I average about 75-85,000 won a month in phone payments.
“Be Who You Are and Say What You Feel Because Those Who Mind Don't Matter and Those Who Matter Don't Mind.”
-- Bernard Baruch (also attributed to Dr. Seuss )

------

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:07:39 am »
SK- all the way! They made a mistake with the auto-pay that I'm enrolled in once (I didn't even notice the 6,700 overcharge)- got a text message from them stating what happened and that the money had been replaced into my account. I went and checked- yep they made the mistake and fixed it all within 24hrs. I'm a happy camper!

• VaterRoss
  • Adventurer

• March 08, 2012, 01:12:28 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 08:15:49 am »
I'm pretty happy with LG. The one complaint I have is that the last time I attempted it they did not allow foreigners to register their phones for the LG wifi hotspots, this isn't a dealbreaker for me as I have an unlimited data plan (though it is throttled after like 5GB)

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 09:14:45 am »
I've been with LG for a year now, haven't had any problems with coverage or anything.  I always get a strong, fast signal, even on subways and such.