Read 5686 times

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
KB Bank Overseas Remittance
« on: March 27, 2014, 11:09:32 am »
I am so confused by this right now, so I would like to ask someone who has done remittance through KB. Are there only specific KB brances that provide this service for setting it up the first time? I have a few branches close by, where I'll have no problem using the ATMs for remittance in the future, but for the first time...

Help?

• Chicagohotdog
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 04, 2012, 12:25:31 pm
    • Gyeongsangbuk-do
    more
Re: KB Bank Overseas Remittance
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 11:33:45 am »
Ok, I use NH, but there is a specific branch of that in my county which is the ONLY ONE I can go to for remittance purposes.  It's usually the branch that will do currency exchange because not all branches do that.

Ask your KT or a Korean friend where the main branch of the bank is for your area and you are going to need to head there during school hours to set it up so be prepared to ask for the time off to leave early one day or something.
Discount of up to $10 off of first order on iHerb.com ---> CHK096

$10 off of a Tour booked through Viator.com (You get $10 off and I'll get $10 off - that could be an airport ride): https://www.viator.com/raf/PDPOTBSYI

http://travelhacking.org/sammery-wants-you

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:42:05 am »
Thanks! I know that the branch I went to offers currency exchange (they have signs indicating such all over the place), so maybe that's the branch I can go to?

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:46:15 am »
I am so confused by this right now, so I would like to ask someone who has done remittance through KB. Are there only specific KB brances that provide this service for setting it up the first time? I have a few branches close by, where I'll have no problem using the ATMs for remittance in the future, but for the first time...

Help?

I have done this a lot, you do have to go into a branch the first time to set it up. I went to the Itaewon branch. After doing once with the teller I was able to do at an ATM going forward.

• fryan
  • Adventurer

• January 06, 2014, 12:00:47 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:49:00 am »
For the first time using Remittance I was lucky enough to visit a branch where an English speaker worked. This particular branch was a KB Star. The process is not difficult; it just takes a lot of paperwork. If you can find the Korean translation of "Overseas Remittance" or get it from a co-teacher, then you won't necessarily need to talk to an English speaker to set it up. You will need:

Passport
ARC
Foreign Bank Card
Foreign Bank Address / Home address connected with bank
Phone #
Korean Address (I didn't know how to spell it, so maybe this isn't necessary)
*Bank's swift code (Not completely necessary, but it supposedly speeds up the process)

It was set up immediately for me and I used the service right away. Takes about 3 days. I am reasonably sure any KB branch will be able to help you - they just may or may not speak English, so maybe you can call a Korean friend / co-worker if anything complicated arises. The KB Star I went to was quite small compared to the other one I use (which is much larger and has no English speakers >_<).

Anyways, you'll be fine. Just have all your stuff ready and find out a couple of Korean keywords in case you need them.
I'd rather be rich than stupid.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:55:21 am »
My phone number here? I have a temporary phone at the moment. Would getting a new number later cause any problems? I also opened my bank account with this number. Would I be able to just call their English line to change my number later?

• fryan
  • Adventurer

• January 06, 2014, 12:00:47 pm
    • Gwangju, South Korea
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:59:56 am »
The phone number shouldn't be a big deal. Changing your phone number later certainly won't prevent you from getting Remittance activated with your account. If you can open a bank account with your current phone number than you can set up Remittance. It's a formality.
I'd rather be rich than stupid.

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 12:15:37 pm »
When I set up my internet account for overseas remittance I called the English service first to make sure I had everything I needed. She also gave me a location close to me that would work for me. When I went there the teller did not speak English that well and it was her first time to set up one for overseas remittance. I just called the English phone number for my bank and she was able to translate for both of us. It took some time but it all worked out.

Long story short have the English phone number handy for when you go in case you run into translation problems.

• Space
  • The Legend

• May 09, 2012, 10:11:12 pm
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50:22 pm »
KEB has really an easy remittance account (called easy one). If you wanted to change banks, I would recommend them.