Read 4308 times

• Kurtbob
  • Adventurer

• November 14, 2010, 04:47:47 pm
    • Changyneong
Minimal Pair Bingo
« on: March 27, 2014, 10:34:15 am »
Hello everyone. This is a game I like to play with my middle school students after testing time, or just when I feel the need to do a listening lesson that is fun. It can probably work with sixth graders and high school as well.

How to play:

1. Show students the minimal pairs word packet (PDF attached) on the big screen. There are five minimal pair categories: L & R, I & EE, R & W, E & A, P & F.

Show students the first category (L & R). Have students practice the sounds of both letters then have students repeat all ten words in the category. Repeat this process for the next four categories.

2. Hand out the bingo sheets (PDF attached) to students.

3. Play bingo as usual (print out the minimal pair word packet, cut out each word, put them in a bag) but make sure to organize all the words as you pull them so that you can locate them quickly. Why? Because the number of students you are going to have walking up to you thinking they have a bingo when they in fact do not will be many (gotta love minimal pairs). You need to be able to check their bingo sheets quickly to proceed and keep the students interested.

And that's it. Pretty easy and quite fun. :)

Note: I don't know the rules about posting copyrighted material on waygook so...The minimal pair bingo packet is copyrighted: @2007 Advanced Teacher Training Inc. All Rights Reserved. www.teyl.com and www.teachchildrenesl.com
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 10:35:50 am by Kurtbob »

Re: Minimal Pair Bingo
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2014, 10:03:07 am »
Great activity, really helpful for some of my lower level students who need help with their pronunciation.  Thanks a lot!

• ksd197703
  • Waygookin

• October 02, 2013, 01:17:39 pm
    • South Korea Deagu
Re: Minimal Pair Bingo
« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2019, 09:27:41 am »
I left all my bingo cards at my old school. This thread really came in handy, I'm so glad it was still posted.

Thanks^^