Read 1187 times

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
Shipping a PC to the UK?
« on: March 27, 2014, 07:50:54 am »
Has anyone done this or do they know which companies I can contact to do it?

It's a PC, so the slow boat isn't possible. Things get very damp - not good for electronics.

If you done it, how much did it cost? Did you send the tower only or the monitor too? Were there any extra charges (import/export/customs/etc)? Did it go through safely?
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

Re: Shipping a PC to the UK?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:36:57 am »
Not sure how helpful this is, but I did the opposite; I had my PC shipped from England to Korea.

I suggest you don't do what I did. I sent my package via Fedex and it got held up mutliple times. The damn thing cost 160 quid and I still had to foot a few man won because the overall value was greater than the tax free allowance.

For anyone who is wondering how this saga turned out, the computer died a month or so ago.

My advice, strip it or sell it and buy what you need to when you get back.

• Darkeru
  • Expert Waygook

• September 08, 2010, 01:03:17 pm
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:48:29 am »
It may be helpful. It let me know that there's a tax free issue to be aware of at least.

Ideally I'd like to ship it whole, but I may end up seeing if I can get my hands on some anti-static bags, strip all the components, package it really well and hope it survives the trip in my luggage without being taken.
[In Korea once more - Working in Pyeongtaek]

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:49:55 pm »
Sent an ipad via fedex to the UK with no dramas. Fed ex is prob your best bet as Korea Post can be funny about electronics.

• dandred
  • Super Waygook

• March 28, 2012, 11:24:32 am
    • Bucheon
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:09:25 pm »
It would probably be easlier to take it apart and box up the expencive bits, MB, GPU, CPU, RAM, and bring them in luggae. Buying a case will be ceaper than shipping by quite a bit.
20 years teaching experience. CELTA, DELTA, MA TESOL, PhD slave  / on hold. Thank you.