Read 1568 times

• L I
  • Waygook Lord

• October 03, 2011, 01:50:58 pm
Help me plan my life.
« on: March 25, 2014, 10:28:17 am »
The EPIK contract seems a bit nebulous regarding who does and doesn't get the exit allowance.

The contract says "etc." (등), so I guess that means anyone sticking around in Korea. For example, I was going to study Korean (maybe even on the D10 visa), so I wouldn't be transferring my visa to another school (but I guess by doing the D10 I would be eventually).

(I disagree with the new rule changes restricting who can and can't get it. Why encourage/force people to leave Korea? By leaving the country who are they helping; by staying, who are they hurting?)

Me having to leave the country (to get the exit allowance) is a pain.

But do I have to leave the country to get it? (I'm not sure.)

I signed up to study Korean full time at a university language program but it does not begin until early June. My contract ends this week. Previously, I had planned on staying in Korea with the D10 (or maybe D4 student) visa. Now I'm thinking of going to America for eight weeks.

Cons include buying a round trip ticket this late (which will be expensive), losing my D10 visa (which is a big advantage in getting (increasingly scarce) jobs here), a deterioration in my Korean ability leading up to my placement test, jet lag (two times) and maybe some other things.

What should I do? Go back to the U.S.?

I hate to lie to my handler who is asking questions (maybe to be friendly, but I think to report information to the Ministry of Education). She asked if I had bought my ticket yet. I said no; I will buy it at the airport.

I have a good relationship with my school and don't want to ruin it by lying. (I did kind of intend on going to the U.S. at one point (and I am still considering it), so I wasn't being completely dishonest (at that point at least).) Maybe the MOE will check my visa status after I leave the school/finish my contract to see whether or not to pay me the 1.3 million? So stressful. If the school already gives me the bonus in my last paycheck then someone from an office calls them to complain/try to get it back from me, that will not be good. My reference will be shot then and I may have to repay it and/or will never be able to get another public school job again, etc. (The other scenario is the 1.3 mil payment will be delayed until my visa shows I have left; I'm not sure which of these will happen.) GEPIK contracts say one must leave the country within 10 days to get the 1.5 mil; the EPIK contract is so vague I can't understand it (and think there are a variety of ways it could be interpreted). I kind of want to stay in Korea for the next eight weeks, but maybe I shouldn't? What do you think?

• a1mighty
  • Adventurer

• July 18, 2012, 05:03:52 pm
    • usa
Re: Help me plan my life.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 10:30:39 am »
The EPIK contract seems a bit nebulous regarding who does and doesn't get the exit allowance.

The contract says "etc." (등), so I guess that means anyone sticking around in Korea. For example, I was going to study Korean (maybe even on the D10 visa), so I wouldn't be transferring my visa to another school (but I guess by doing the D10 I would be eventually).

(I disagree with the new rule changes restricting who can and can't get it. Why encourage/force people to leave Korea? By leaving the country who are they helping; by staying, who are they hurting?)

Me having to leave the country (to get the exit allowance) is a pain.

But do I have to leave the country to get it? (I'm not sure.)

I signed up to study Korean full time at a university language program but it does not begin until early June. My contract ends this week. Previously, I had planned on staying in Korea with the D10 (or maybe D4 student) visa. Now I'm thinking of going to America for eight weeks.

Cons include buying a round trip ticket this late (which will be expensive), losing my D10 visa (which is a big advantage in getting (increasingly scarce) jobs here), a deterioration in my Korean ability leading up to my placement test, jet lag (two times) and maybe some other things.

What should I do? Go back to the U.S.?

I hate to lie to my handler who is asking questions (maybe to be friendly, but I think to report information to the Ministry of Education). She asked if I had bought my ticket yet. I said no; I will buy it at the airport.

I have a good relationship with my school and don't want to ruin it by lying. (I did kind of intend on going to the U.S. at one point (and I am still considering it), so I wasn't being completely dishonest (at that point at least).) Maybe the MOE will check my visa status after I leave the school/finish my contract to see whether or not to pay me the 1.3 million? So stressful. If the school already gives me the bonus in my last paycheck then someone from an office calls them to complain/try to get it back from me, that will not be good. My reference will be shot then and I may have to repay it and/or will never be able to get another public school job again, etc. (The other scenario is the 1.3 mil payment will be delayed until my visa shows I have left; I'm not sure which of these will happen.) GEPIK contracts say one must leave the country within 10 days to get the 1.5 mil; the EPIK contract is so vague I can't understand it (and think there are a variety of ways it could be interpreted). I kind of want to stay in Korea for the next eight weeks, but maybe I shouldn't? What do you think?

Buy a REFUNDABLE 1 way ticket to america.

• adfletch83
  • Super Waygook

• June 02, 2012, 11:01:40 pm
    • Daegu, ROK
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:57 am »
DO you even have to 'prove' you're leaving? I'm EPIK and as far as I'm aware, of the people that left just this February, none of them had to show proof of travel and the 1.3m was placed in the bank accounts the day after the end of their contracts. I'm pretty sure, in contrast with GEPIK, EPIK contracts merely state that you'll be given 1.3m flight allowance and there aren't any stipulations on that.

I plan to leave in August, so I'm a few months short of finding this out for myself. So I'd be interested to hear how it works out...
Have a nice Daegu!!

• jaybird
  • Veteran

• April 06, 2011, 10:54:23 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 10:45:16 am »
DO you even have to 'prove' you're leaving? I'm EPIK and as far as I'm aware, of the people that left just this February, none of them had to show proof of travel and the 1.3m was placed in the bank accounts the day after the end of their contracts. I'm pretty sure, in contrast with GEPIK, EPIK contracts merely state that you'll be given 1.3m flight allowance and there aren't any stipulations on that.

I plan to leave in August, so I'm a few months short of finding this out for myself. So I'd be interested to hear how it works out...

For GEPIK at least, the MOE had the school submit a form with all the collected proof in order to get the money. On the form there is a checklist asking for all three documents as follows: ticket receipt, a copy of boarding pass, and exit stamp on passport.

• cjszk
  • Expert Waygook

• August 23, 2013, 10:29:05 am
    • Seoul
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:09 am »
You know your own situation better than strangers on here. But anyway, you have 90 days upon entrance into Korea without visa. This means that if you went to another country, such as Japan, came back a day later, you could get in for 90 days. You of course will want a place to stay.