Read 1440 times

Where can I find composting worms?
« on: March 23, 2014, 12:06:47 pm »
Very random question: does anyone know where I could find red wiggler worms for composting? I found 2lbs on gmarket for almost 100k won but I don't really need that much nor do I want to pay quite that much.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
Re: Where can I find composting worms?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 03:44:14 pm »
Very random question: does anyone know where I could find red wiggler worms for composting? I found 2lbs on gmarket for almost 100k won but I don't really need that much nor do I want to pay quite that much.

Go to a fishing tackle shop.

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 08:13:15 am »
2 lbs seems like a lot, but I can't remember how many are needed for a good start. Fishing tackle stores are unlikely to have the right sort of worms; the kind that are needed for vermiculture composting are actually not well suited to soil. If there was a way, I'd go halfsies with you on the gmarket lot.....

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 03:42:15 pm »
2 lbs seems like a lot, but I can't remember how many are needed for a good start. Fishing tackle stores are unlikely to have the right sort of worms; the kind that are needed for vermiculture composting are actually not well suited to soil. If there was a way, I'd go halfsies with you on the gmarket lot.....

That doesn't make any sense. You use earthworms for composting.

• jinteh
  • Veteran

• August 10, 2011, 08:47:37 am
    • Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 04:44:14 pm »

Composting worms work better then normally used fishing bait due to longer life spans in captivity, shallower burrowing depth and faster reproduction rates.

Conversely, almost all composting worms will work great as fishing bait.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 04:48:46 pm »

Composting worms work better then normally used fishing bait due to longer life spans in captivity, shallower burrowing depth and faster reproduction rates.

Conversely, almost all composting worms will work great as fishing bait.

:rolleyes:

What do you think we did before the internet put all kinds of ideas about finding what is supposedly the best in our heads, and we wanted to find worms for composting?  Yes, that's right, we grabbed a shovel.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 07:33:14 pm by EL34 »