Read 2226 times

how can i ask the vet about the shots for my dog?*
« on: March 21, 2014, 11:21:21 am »
I probably could have titled that title better.....

The basic story- I teach at a high school and teach high school grade 3 classes with some really fantastic kids. It's an open discussion class and at some point I may have mentioned how much I miss having a dog since I moved to Korea (my dog in America got cancer right before I came here so she had to be put to sleep sadly). Turns out one of my students parents breeds her dogs for one of the puppy shops in downtown daegu (I know I know- I don't like the selling of dogs or cats in this country either). During the graduation back in Feb, the 4 girls from that class dragged me over to say hello to their parents, which was a total set-up because my students Mother GAVE me a puppy!

I never planned on buying a dog while being here since I like to travel and am planning on going home after my 3rd or 4th year (currently in my 2nd). If they had TOLD me they were planning on giving me a dog I would have rejected the idea flat-out. But they just placed the cutest little 4 week old puppy in my arms and that was it- my heart melted and I couldn't say no.

Here's my problem- my Korean language skills are horrid and I've been trying google translate and a dictionary that I have but I just can't figure out some dog related things.
Like how to say "I need to get my dog fixed" while I'm at the vet
Or "what shots does she need" or what "vaccinated" is?
Can anyone help me? is there another waygook conversation going on because the only one I found was an argument about people being irresponsible and buying then leaving their animals.....

P.S.- Yes my dog is coming home with me to America- there is no way I could leave my baby here after two years and abandon her.   

So Mocha is now 2 months and a week old- she had the 1st shot before she was given to me however I've tried going to two different vets but neither one wanted to deal with the "waygookin"- so it's been a while and she really needs to finish those shots to get vaccinated.  I've found another but I'd really like to go in there with exactly what I need that way it can just be done. Help please?
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 01:34:47 pm by taeyang »

• country09
  • Expert Waygook

• January 05, 2011, 10:04:21 am
Re: amazing gift- need help with translation to korean please!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 11:37:55 am »
If you have a good relationship with your CT you could explain it and have them translate it for you on paper. Explain the situation on the paper for what has been done and what needs to be done. If it is all on the paper and if shots are pretty standard I think the vet would understand.

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 11:59:41 am »
http://www.animalrescuekorea.org/

I adopted my kitten through this site. They have lots of good info and a discussion forum. Someone there will be able to help you for sure. Many people will be able to suggest good vets that speak decent english.

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 12:34:33 pm »
If you have a good relationship with your CT you could explain it and have them translate it for you on paper. Explain the situation on the paper for what has been done and what needs to be done. If it is all on the paper and if shots are pretty standard I think the vet would understand.

I really wish I did have a good relationship but sadly my CoT is counting down the days until either she or I leaves. She doesn't even bother showing up to my classes anymore- everything I teach is solo planned/taught.

Thanks for the animal rescue link! looks great!

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: how can i ask the vet about the shots for my dog?*
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 01:35:06 pm »
edited the thread title.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 01:44:43 pm »
The word for vaccination is 예방 (yae-bang).  Getting shots is pretty standard so they should take it from there.  But it would probably be  best to find a vet that speaks some English or a Korean speaking friend to help you.  Even if you just have someone call ahead and explain what you need done before you show up or have them write it down so you can just hand them the paper.     
My vet speaks some English but not great... trying to explain that I wanted to get my bunny spayed was interesting to say the least.  "Spayed?  Neutered?  Fixed?  Ummm... surgery for... no babies!  Never babies!" 

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 08:35:23 pm »
I've had my puppy for almost three years now. What I recommend is finding a vet you're comfortable with and sticking with them. Your puppy will need monthly vaccinations like heart worm medication and such. I like "Cool Pet" which is located inside almost every E-Mart. They're very good at keeping you're pets records on file and up to date. They also send you text messages reminding you when it's time to get shots. You even get a booklet to keep track of all your pets vaccinations (which you will need when taking him overseas).

심장사상충예방 is heartworm medication/shots. 구충제 is some kind of insect repellant. 중성 is neutering but you should say it as 수술 as well.

If you're planning on taking your dog home, you need to keep track of your dog's vaccinations and shots as well as surgeries. Ask a vet for a 기록서 and have them update it every time your dog gets shots, medication, etc.

Hope this helps.
If you have any other questions, just let me know ;D