Read 4995 times

• damof
  • Super Waygook

• April 29, 2012, 07:45:19 pm
    • Yongin
Are E-Mart/Homeplus/Lotte point cards worth it?
« on: March 20, 2014, 08:03:39 pm »
I live next to an E-Mart, and so naturally I do almost all of my shopping there. I shudder to think of all money I've handed over to that place in the last year.

Anyway, every time I buy something the clerk asks me if I have a point card, and each time I can only say no. It occurs to me now that I might be missing out on some sweet deals, given the millions I must have spent there. Has anyone here signed up for a department store card? And if so would you recommend it?

I'm assuming it's much like the point cards elsewhere. I had a Tesco clubcard when I was in college and I found it to be an incredible waste of time, until I figured out that I could use a colour copier to make copies of the vouchers Tesco sent me and use them at the self-service checkouts as often as I like. Yes, that was dishonest, but I was in college. I was poor. I wouldn't be fixing to do that today (E-mart doesn't have self-service checkouts anyway).

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
Re: Are E-Mart/Homeplus/Lotte point cards worth it?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 08:35:43 pm »
absolutely! I get coupons in the mail, and 1000 won vouchers for every 1000 points I get. if you shop there often, getting a point card should be a no brainer.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

• jupinkorea
  • Super Waygook

• June 04, 2012, 05:25:32 pm
    • Seoul
    more
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:31:55 am »
Totally worth it, as Taeyang said I too often get vouchers in the mail from HomePlus after obtaining a wad of points.
"North Korea everything sunny all the time, always good time, beach party" Johnny Mountain

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 08:08:16 am »
Also at Homeplus (maybe the others) some items have discounts when using a Points Card. Plus the Homeplus card also has an OK Cashback feature so you gain even more points which can be used at other places.

• gtrain83
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• August 27, 2011, 10:26:20 am
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 08:16:48 am »
Homeplus card, yes. Coupons in the mail, etc.

Emart card, lol no. 2.5 years and not a single benefit was seen.

• lazycat
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2013, 11:28:03 am
    • Pyeongtaek
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 08:19:56 am »
i dunno, i spent probably $100 a week at lotte mart for 14 months and when i asked to redeem my points in the end, they said i only had $7. i was sooo disappointed. maybe emart and homeplus have better rewards for members

« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2014, 08:21:27 am »
You can use it to get some coupons but the reality is that the store and point cards in Korea are nothing like CVS Extracare cards in the USA. There's nothing in Korealike the couponing and rebates available in the USA for consumers. The best shopping strategies are to find the cheapest everyday prices and keep an eye out for sales. Make good use of your freezer when things are on sale.

« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2014, 08:31:19 am »
Yes. I use the Lotte Points card and it gives you discounts on stuff that you wouldn't get if you didn't have the card. The value of those discounts are likely to add up to more than you will redeem in coupons.

• scholes
  • Expert Waygook

• May 12, 2011, 10:01:50 pm
    • Beomgye
« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 08:44:22 am »
yeah I agree with young min, the points are useless but the discounts are good. I spent over $10000 using my lotte card and only around 12000won in points. It's completely usless, lol. but the discounts are good.

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 08:46:09 am »
Emart is a joke when it comes to point cards...have been shopping there for over 1 year with no rewards to show

Home Plus on the other is great..use to get at least 6000-7000 won discount coupons every month.

Just wishHomeplus was closer to my house :(