Read 10278 times

• stemarty
  • Featured Contributor

• September 02, 2011, 12:20:42 pm
    • Jeonnamdo
5 minute warm up games. Ideas?
« on: March 20, 2014, 01:15:37 pm »
This year period 3/4 is one block class (with no break in-between) and the poor kids get ENGLISH for 90 minutes.

I walked into my Grade 3 A level class period 4 and 90% of them were brain fried.
Needless to say, it was hard pulling them up for another 45 minutes of NET English class.

I love them, and I sympathize with them so the class was cut a bit shorter than I originally planned because I couldnt get them to focus.

That being said, I need some ideas for 5 minute quick English warm up games/activities.
Something that can be entertaining and wake the kids up after 45 minutes of intense study.

Re: 5 minute warm up games. Ideas?
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:29 pm »
I have one I like a lot that all my cos like, too.  I have a Pringels can and I made a label out of copy paper for it and it just says review can, but you could call it anything!  This week I put in a handful of slips of paper with present tense verbs.  I let them pick a slip of paper and they have to conjugate the verb into the past tense and then make a sentence.  If they can't do it their friends will help.  I have also put in paper with questions, and they have to answer the question, or the vocab in Korean and they say the word in English. 

I also do true/false quizzes with them sometimes, where I ask 5~7 questions and have them answer thumbs up or down, and then correct the sentence if it was false. 

I did a thing last year called Phrase Friday where I taught them a phrase or idiom every week.  We did TGIF, lend me a hand, it costs an arm and a leg...I tried to pick things that were fairly easy to understand. 

Pass the ball? maybe they are too old for that. 

• shanemac
  • Adventurer

• March 05, 2013, 09:28:35 am
    • Ganwon-do, Jeongseon- Uep
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 03:01:43 pm »
Got this idea from somewhere online, cannot remember where so sorry for not giving credit to the creator.
You need a pack of cards. Get all students to stand up. Pick one student and ask him/her if the top card will be black or red. If they get it wrong they sit down. If they get it right they choose a classmate to guess the next card. This continues until there is one winner.

It won't work every week but they will enjoy it every now and again. You could mix it up and have the losers stand up and winners stay seated too.

Also the "would you rather" ppts on waygook are pretty impressive and will get your students talking. Good for a five or ten minute warmer.

• tr06
  • Veteran

• September 03, 2011, 05:30:00 pm
    • Ansan, Gyenggi-do
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 03:07:15 pm »
On page 9 of this TEFL document it has a ton of great engage activities!

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2014, 09:37:33 am »
Heads up 7-Up?

I dunno. My school has instituted this block time thing too. It's not pleasant.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2014, 09:52:19 am »
I have a  small stuffed bunny that I use sometimes. I have all the students put their heads down and then I hide the bunny with one student. After I return to the front of the class I call "Heads up" and they try to guess who has the bunny using the phrase " I think NAME has it." After the first time, I have the person who guesses correctly hide the bunny. I tell them "Heads down." Sometimes, I will get the student to give it to either me or my co-teacher and wait for them to guess one of us. As well, I travel the room making noise to try to cover up where it is hidden.

• mystic951
  • Veteran

• August 27, 2011, 01:44:06 pm
    • Gimcheon-si
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 09:00:34 pm »
Compound word puzzles are always a good bet. Did this often with my students.

Board Race. Write a (or us a ppt) sentence in Hangul out on the board, two teams. Have the students run up and translate the word from Korean to English. This can be used to review vocabulary as well. Say a word in Hangul, students run up and write the word down in English. Could do a fill in the blank, correct the sentence, what's wrong with the picture, etc etc. Races are always fun.

Whisper Game (phone game). Make the students form a circle (sitting or standing). Say a short phrase at one end, see if they can whisper it along to the end. If they can do X amount of times, give a small reward as an incentive.

What's wrong in the picture. Highlights classic, have them list whats wrong.

Awareness Test Video: made by the BBC, there are three of these things. The first one has a moonwalking bear (show the video, ask them first "How many passes does the team in the white make?" then pause where it asks to pause, then ask, "Did anyone see anything funny/strange/weird/etc (choose one)" and show them the video again, see the moonwalking bear, etc.

The other one is how many changes, etc. Good videos to engage students and start light convo. Not all that English focused, but students like them.

All I can think of off the top of me head.

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 04:01:39 pm »
I love using compound words as a warm-up for class.   There are a bunch of ppts of them on here.

I'm currently in the process of trying to use http://domandhyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/koreanperiodictable5.jpg as a warm-up as well.  I'll use 2-3 a day and let students try to guess what the food is--and then ask them to try to explain what it is in English.

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 10:42:33 pm »
I love using compound words as a warm-up for class.   There are a bunch of ppts of them on here.

I'm currently in the process of trying to use http://domandhyo.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/koreanperiodictable5.jpg as a warm-up as well.  I'll use 2-3 a day and let students try to guess what the food is--and then ask them to try to explain what it is in English.

I also use Compound Words as a warmup. And as the creator of the table in the link above, I'm happy to see it used in the classroom as I would've never expected that! :)

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 10:56:28 pm »
I didn't know it was yours!  A lot of your other graphics on the site are pretty awesome, too.

Another idea was to use it as a jeopardy game and letting the entire class try and guess the food at the same time.

I also use Compound Words as a warmup. And as the creator of the table in the link above, I'm happy to see it used in the classroom as I would've never expected that! :)

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2014, 10:00:58 pm »
Hang Man, always Hang Man.

• Kpita2006
  • Newgookin

• November 05, 2012, 07:48:20 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: April 28, 2014, 11:08:48 am »
I have my students stand up and pair up boy/girl AKA COUPLE, by even and odd sets. Even number girl would find an even number boy and Odd number boy would find an odd number girl.

Students should know their number in the class. 3rd year students have to be coerced to participate, but eventually they begin to move around and seek out their partner. You can utilize English by asking them their number. Amazing how many students cannot count above ten in English.

• camuscat
  • Adventurer

• May 27, 2010, 09:01:13 am
    • Haenam-eun
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2014, 02:59:52 pm »
I made this Codex Crackers 5min activity today.
1 - President arrives on Thursday.
2 - Important documents will be found in Embassy.
3 - Change of plans.  Agent who was to have done job has been eliminated.  Wait for further instructions.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2014, 08:44:44 am by camuscat »