Read 3655 times

Talk about presents. I came in to work today and found out that my coteacher purchases me at least 75$ worth of groceries. Has this ever happened to anybody else? I would never do this especially to a stranger that I just met a couple weeks ago.

• sara17
  • Adventurer

• September 02, 2013, 02:20:19 pm
    • Gimpo
Re: I just had a coteacher buy me at least 75$ worth of groceries
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:22 pm »
My boyfriends teacher bought us chicken after taking us to immigration when we first arrived. My co teacher drives me home everyday and often surprises me with bagels or treats in the morning. Small things are extremely nice and go a long way. If you return the favor with something small they are very grateful. Food seems to be a favourite gift for my Korean teachers to give as well as for me to give in return.

• Freeto
  • Expert Waygook

• September 10, 2010, 01:24:42 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »
Check the expiry dates.   :laugh:

That's sweet of your co-teacher. When I first moved in, my co-teacher gave me an electric fryer that she explained wasn't needed by her family. She would backstab me later on but that's another story.
Save $5 on your first iHerb order under $40 by using coupon code VIS416, or save $10 if your first iHerb order is over $40!

Good for over 30,000 products including nutritional supplements, beauty items food and other health products. Cheap and fast shipping worldwide.

• 한소로
  • Expert Waygook

• March 20, 2012, 07:50:46 am
    more
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 12:55:53 pm »
Back when I first came to Korea, I was at my apartment for a week with cold water. My coteacher came to check on it and saw how empty my place was. After the water was fixed, she took me to the grocery store and just started packing the cart with groceries. I don't think it cost as much as 75$, but it was still quite a lot, and she insisted that she pay.

Sometimes people can just be awesome.

• AbigailJoy
  • Veteran

• March 05, 2013, 08:54:19 am
    • Seoul, South Korea
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 12:57:18 pm »
Wow, that's AWESOME. I love stories like that.  My co-teacher took me to the grocery store the first couple of times and let me load his car up, but he didn't pay ;) He did take me out for a lot of dinners, though.  One other teacher from the school loved to take me to Paris Baguette all the time, though, and buy me a ton of bread.  I think she honestly believed that was the only carb I ever ate...

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:30:52 pm »
About a week or two after I started my first public school teaching job in Korea several years ago, the principal gave me one of those large gift box sets of cans of SPAM and bottles of cooking oil. Since I don't eat SPAM and wasn't cooking much at the time, I ended up giving them all away to other people. Also, my very first co-teacher at that same public school took me out and treated me to lunch/dinner often. Later on, sometimes we'd go dutch (after I explained the concept to her, haha) or I'd treat her, but she definitely she treated me a lot and was very generous to me, in general. She was awesome, not only because of her generosity and kindness, but we were also very compatible as co-teachers/co-workers and friends. I was very lucky and fortunate to have a great co-teacher as my first co-teacher in Korea.

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 02:57:35 pm »
My first year here my director picked me up from the bus stop, took me to my apartment to drop off my bags, and then immediately took me to home plus.  He dropped some where around 150,000 won on food and other apartment necessities.  He then proceeded to feed me pretty much every night my first week here.  I always thought the home plus shopping spree would come out of my pay, but it never did.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:22:49 pm »
Talk about presents. I came in to work today and found out that my coteacher purchases me at least 75$ worth of groceries. Has this ever happened to anybody else? I would never do this especially to a stranger that I just met a couple weeks ago.

My first year in korea, my co-teacher bought a welcome package of bread, and some fruit.
she also loaned me some money, until i was given my first paycheck.

Also, i had a hagwon i worked at, and they didnt have 'anything' for a foreign teacher. i was the first one they hired. the owner purchased (went shopping with me) things like food for a week, sheets, pillows, etc.

its a hit or miss. sometimes we have considerate teachers, other times we dont.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• paola28
  • Waygookin

• September 26, 2013, 09:39:31 pm
    • Incheon
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:29 pm »
It's very true its hit or miss. My first job wasn't bad at all up until the school couldn't afford me because they are kinda in financial trouble.

I was able to get another job and was really scared about working at a new place. The weekend i moved into my new apartment and the previous teacher was moving out, my new director hired cleaners to clean my apartment but the timing didn't work out and they couldn't clean. The place was seriously bad I kinda just pushed everything to the side.

After the first day at my new job my head teacher and director wanted to come and see if i was ok. My head teacher translated because my lady director doesn't speak English. I told them it was pretty bad. They came in and you can imagine their shock. I had no working light bulbs and there was a pile of trash slash old clothes. The kitchen was seriously also a mess.

Now imagine my surprise when 1.they went at 11pm and bought and changed my light bulbs 2. brought me boxes of snacks. and the most surprising to me 3. my director proceeded to clean my kitchen and help me pull all the trash out. I never expected to be treated so nicely. So far my lady boss here is the nicest person i've meet and not just to me but to every one of her employees.

• EL34
  • Expert Waygook

• September 28, 2013, 07:48:34 pm
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 06:40:34 pm »
I was given over an ounce of gold by my employer, but that was as a reward for having worked X number of years for them.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2014, 10:49:03 am »
Troy ounce?
lucky ducky

I was given over an ounce of gold by my employer, but that was as a reward for having worked X number of years for them.
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

• Embarr
  • Veteran

• August 11, 2013, 09:01:22 am
    • Daejeon, South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 21, 2014, 12:20:53 pm »
I've gotten free meals, toilet paper, chocopies, a thing of kimchi (still working my way through that since I got it at the start of this month), and a whole bag of bread. Soooo much bread.