Read 8545 times

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• September 09, 2010, 06:00:18 pm
    • Seoul
    more
Tmoney on your checkcard?
« on: March 19, 2014, 02:41:17 pm »
So I know KEB offers this, but do any other banks offer this option to waygooks? I already know Shinhan doesn't, instead they give us ONE MORE card which you have to reload just like a Tmoney that just happens to a Mastercard. What is the point of that? Honestly, days later after being told this and shown it, I can't understand what the heck Shinhan is thinking? If I have to reload it, what do I need I it for???  :shocked:

So has anyone had any luck with this with other banks BESIDES KEB? Also, no offense gyopos but if you're here on an F-4 you can get one, so I'm looking for feedback from non-permanent residents i.e. E-2s, E-1s...etc. I know if you get a credit card you can get it on there, but I just want one on my checkcard.  :sad:

Anyone?
Ignoranţa este adesea o boală fatal şi cretin nu poate fi vindecata.

• Mangojam
  • Waygookin

• April 28, 2010, 02:07:04 pm
    • Uijeongbu
Re: Tmoney on your checkcard?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 02:56:43 pm »
Woori has it.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »
I use KB and I can use my checkcard on all transits here. It works in cabs as tmoney and it also work on subways and buses.

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 03:05:37 pm »
My shinhan has auto top off option.
Either way it's linked to my tax account (transit rebates). If I lose it, it's registered so I can get a refund and other people are less likely to use the money if they find it because it's a crime.

• taeyang
  • Moderator - LVL 4

• September 08, 2010, 08:35:10 am
    • daejeon
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 03:13:25 pm »
i use my nonghyup check card for the subway and buses.

i can also use my nonghyup-issued mastercard for transit too. i have an E2.
use google to search the site

site:waygook.org XXXX

replace 'XXXX' with your search term

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 03:21:10 pm »
Not the OP but:

Dumb question re:Woori Bank's card.  Do I have to load it, or can I literally just flash it and it will deduct from my bank account?  I bought a metrocard before I had a bank account so I've just been using that.  I am going to feel really silly if you guys tell me I just had to flash my card instead of loading it at the 7-11 every time I want to leave my hamlet.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 03:36:53 pm »
I know for certain KEB does. I had it before.

Most banks have a check card with t-money/transit AND it gives you a discount! But apparently, it's not for foreigners. Does anyone know any banks that WILL give foreigners a discount? I tried going to Shinhan (they wouldn't give me t-money in their check cards at all), Woori (no discount and couldn't give me any check cards due to that security breach that caused some banks to not be able to issue new check cards for 3 months), Nonghyup (changed my current check card to one that can be used in transit).

• Mr C
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• October 17, 2012, 03:00:40 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 03:39:23 pm »
I have a Hana Bank card that does this.

• furtakk
  • Veteran

• November 03, 2011, 08:42:26 pm
    • Seoul
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 09:23:10 pm »
I have it on my Kookmin card. I had to put a 30k deposit down though. KEB will do it without a deposit.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:04:02 am »
Mangojam,

Are you a Korean speaker? If not, how is it banking with Woori as a non-Korean speaker? Did you have to do anything to get the T-money check card (other than ask)? Deposit? It works like a regular T-money that is deducted from your account? You don't have to reload it do you? You're on an E visa?
I worried that Woori would be difficult to bank with as a non-Korean speaker.

Woori has it.

• specter13
  • Expert Waygook

• November 29, 2010, 10:00:26 pm
    • Seoul South Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:33:31 am »
Mangojam,

Are you a Korean speaker? If not, how is it banking with Woori as a non-Korean speaker? Did you have to do anything to get the T-money check card (other than ask)? Deposit? It works like a regular T-money that is deducted from your account? You don't have to reload it do you? You're on an E visa?
I worried that Woori would be difficult to bank with as a non-Korean speaker.

Woori has it.

For KB I just went to the Itaewon branch and told them that I wanted a transit card. They took a deposit and there a few other perks on the card.

• Mezoti97
  • The Legend

• April 14, 2011, 03:02:50 pm
    • South Korea
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 08:13:18 am »
So has anyone had any luck with this with other banks BESIDES KEB? Also, no offense gyopos but if you're here on an F-4 you can get one, so I'm looking for feedback from non-permanent residents i.e. E-2s, E-1s...etc.

Off-topic, but just FYI, F-4 visa holders are also non-permanent residents. They just have to renew their visas once every 3 years instead of once a year like for E-2 visa holders.

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 08:30:58 am »
travelinpantsgirl I bank with woori. Its easy. Someone at the branch usually speaks enough English for you two to manage.

• tori_bird
  • Veteran

• August 29, 2012, 10:33:03 am
    • South Korea
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2014, 10:51:06 am »
Does anyone know how to get the Tmoney card option on a KEB card? I have the purple Global Check/VISA card but when I tried to use it as Tmoney...it didn't work. Do I have to ask for it or activate it at the bank?
Hopefully this isn't a dumb question ㅠㅠ 

• Hot6^
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• March 14, 2014, 02:46:01 pm
    • Bucheon
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 12:16:15 pm »
When I went to KB, they told me that I shouldn't do it because of security risk. Someone getting your card an swiping Tmoney all over the place. They know it would be a hassle for a foreigner to try and claim it was stole etc... so they wouldn't issue me one. I didn't really argue for it though.

Most mobile phone companies have a Tmoney app on the phone you can use. You swipe your phone just like the card and it just adds it to your phone bill.
What you put into Korea, is what you will get out of Korea; it will not spoon feed you.

« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 12:31:03 pm »
The back of your card should say "TMoney" or "transit card". You have to go into the bank to activate it.

Does anyone know how to get the Tmoney card option on a KEB card? I have the purple Global Check/VISA card but when I tried to use it as Tmoney...it didn't work. Do I have to ask for it or activate it at the bank?

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 12:36:28 pm »

I also have the same question. What is the process with KEB?

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2014, 12:45:23 pm »
https://www.facebook.com/KEBforExpats?ws&nr

Post a message or PM and they can tell you how.

I also have the same question. What is the process with KEB?

• OnNut81
  • Expert Waygook

• April 01, 2011, 03:01:41 pm
    • Anyang
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »
With my purple KEB Global card I can not use it as TMoney.  I have to use my fixed rate deposit credit card from KEB for the TMoney.  If you're a public school teacher getting a Lotte credit card is pretty easy and it works as tMoney as well.

• weirdgirlinkorea
  • Moderator - LVL 2

• Seoul
    more
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2014, 06:59:34 am »
Despite others saying otherwise, you can simply call the KEB English customer service number and ask them to send you a new global purple card with the Tmoney chip in it. See my photo. I had it before.