Read 1590 times

Sick Kids
« on: March 17, 2014, 12:49:52 pm »
I'm not sure if this is specific to my school or not. Especially during  these last couple of weeks, I've noticed many kids at my school have terribly phlegmy coughs & colds. I also notice that a very small percentage of my kids actually cover their mouths or noses.

Is this just me?

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
Re: Sick Kids
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 12:52:13 pm »
is it JUST your kids?

if it is 'just the kids', then yes. it is just you.  :undecided:

nah. these past few weeks we were hit with some Chinese Smog, as well as the season is coming into Yellow Dust, AND guess what? it's spring! get ready for the Pollen
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 12:54:48 pm »
The cold/allergy thing is understandable. It's a rough season.

I'm talking more about not covering their mouths or noses.

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 12:56:54 pm »
I'm seeing more masks today - dust season is coming.

You're right though, I feel like I'm showing kids to how to cough into their arm / shoulder more than I was back in American schools.

I feel like, if a kid back home sneezed into the open, there'd be a couple kids saying, "eww gross, cover your mouth" but here a kid let's one go at the group table nobody says anything unless it's obvious some kinda liquid just shot out.

• iamrhart
  • Hero of Waygookistan

• November 16, 2011, 01:20:16 pm
    • XXXXXXXXxx
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 12:59:47 pm »
The cold/allergy thing is understandable. It's a rough season.

I'm talking more about not covering their mouths or noses.

i hope you really are not just noticing this 'now'.

it is a tendency for us to put our face in our elbows, or use a tissue, or turn our heads.
i dont believe i have seen ANY korean do that here. sure, maybe i come of sounding biased or rude to the Korean Culture, but  i cant remember the last time i had seen a korean cover their face from shooting projectiles. even when their making that "it's coming" face.

"Duck and Run"
You only live today once. You wont get a second chance. You wont get to live it twice. So make the most of it.

A sane man in an insane world will appear insane.

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 01:00:22 pm »
Hahahaha. Yes! That's what I mean! The liquid phlegmy cough/sneeze. Kids just spewing it out into the classroom air.

Just left a class that was insane! Almost just had a mini-panic attack mid-class.

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:14:27 pm »
maybe i don't remember teaching it so much last year, or it just didn't bother me then, but i'm in the same boat of having been here more than 1 year and just noticing it "now".

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:21:34 pm »
Have you only been here a couple of week? Stay here long enough and you may very well join in on the coughing and spitting wherever and however you desire.

« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 01:22:39 pm »
Thanks for the info, Sejong.

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2014, 01:27:25 pm »
Thanks for the info, Sejong.

i actually lol'd.

• busandar
  • Super Waygook

• March 05, 2013, 11:41:05 am
    • Busan, South Korea
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 01:47:40 pm »
It's not just you, it's the nature of this teaching beast.

I'm in my 3rd yr of teaching and whether it's kids in a hagwon or kids in public school, they rarely, if ever, cover their mouths when coughing/sneezing.

I strategically teach in areas where I'll be subjected to the least amount of sneeze/cough trajectory during cold season.

With the younger kids I like to teach them "vampire sneezing/coughing" into the elbow. That way you can have a bit of fun with it.

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:33:46 pm »
I caught pink eye from a student once. That's not fun.
Dropbox is the BEST way to coordinate files between home and school. Click here to get it --> https://db.tt/JSMXsrdm

• doinmahbest
  • Adventurer

• August 30, 2013, 10:45:58 am
    • South Korea
    more
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 03:17:54 pm »
When sickness comes around:

Action A: Throw tissues and candy in one direction.

Action B: Run as quickly as possible the other way.

Optional: Pre-medicate and wear a gas mask.
Your only consistency should be unpredictability.